The Thurland Hall Pub

If any pub was my Local, it was The Thurland Hall in the city. I drank in this pub from Mid 70's, till it was gutted in the ninetees...

The bar and lounge were seperated by a by an ornate wood, glass and wrought iron adorned bar. Also a sliding wooden door at one end.

The pub was frequented by all age groups all day. Weekends you couldnt move.

Upstars was an equaly ornate function room.

It was an absolute tragedy when this unique pub was destroyed in the 90's. :( Everything was ripped out and the bar cut down , to allow more (but not much) room for the younger clientel, with disposable income. :angry:

Do you remember The Thurland? or what are your memories of Nottingham Pubs?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I Heard sometime in the distant past that the Thurland was the last public house in Nottingam to be a MEN only pub, Can anyone verify that one?

Cheers

Roger

• 2 months later...

I used to know Fred Slack. He used to come to our butchers shop in west bridgeford. My boss knew him quite well. He was certainly a character. Not sure whether he is still alive. This was early 90's.

Dylan

Mick,

I worked at 'gordon square butchers' on central avenue right next to the test match pub. Between 1989 - 1997. It was a pig of a job!!

Dylan

I had a Mate who worked at a butchers in Bridgeford, cant remember where it was.

Dave Woodward was his name.

Did you Know Smith's Butchers Loughborough Road.

He had two twin girls Ray and another, name escapes me?

In the 70's, I was DJ at the Slipper, not far from your shop.

• 7 months later...

Yep, I was quite a regular at The Thurland Hall at that time. It was very typical of some of the best things about town pubs at that time in that it was used by all ages groups and types of people. A shame that seems to be a thing of the past largely these day. Nowadays it has to be a student pub, a trendy bar or whatever. Old fashioned pubs with their mix of folks were much more interesting in my view. They tended to be self-policing as well.

Doing that route I'd normally call in at the Lion, The Fying Horse and The George amongst others.

Doing that route I'd normally call in at the Lion, The Fying Horse and The George amongst others.

Not forgetting the Nelson ??( you know the one with the well with the glass cover on it) at the top of Hockley and then on to the Malt house and QE

Not forgetting the Nelson ??( you know the one with the well with the glass cover on it) at the top of Hockley and then on to the Malt house and QE

Yep, all of them too. Never bothered with the QE all that much as there always seemed to be a crush and a queue for beer. Spent a lot of time in the Malt House though

What about these two, I was talking to a fellah last night about the old Crystal Palace and of course The Corner Pin?

There was such a choice of good pubs then. I go to relatively few in town these days.

The Dog and Bear and the afor mentioned Bodega were all on my Friday/Saturday night 'Shopping list'

• 2 years later...

1987 I remember it being took as I was passing ............

(Or was that another strange 'bender' !!)

rotfl.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a Mate who worked at a butchers in Bridgeford, cant remember where it was.

Dave Woodward was his name.

Did you Know Smith's Butchers Loughborough Road.

He had two twin girls Ray and another, name escapes me?

In the 70's, I was DJ at the Slipper, not far from your shop.

The other daughter was Michelle normally known as shelly, also had a son i went to school with who was killed in a car crash, sorry can't remember his name.

Thanks for that. Shelley rings a bell, but I dont think she was one of the twins?

I can see the other sister, and her name is on the tip of my tongue?

I believe that Rae Married Kevan Dunford?

• 8 months later...

If any pub was my Local, it was The Thurland Hall in the city. I drank in this pub from Mid 70's, till it was gutted in the ninetees...

The bar and lounge were seperated by a by an ornate wood, glass and wrought iron adorned bar. Also a sliding wooden door at one end.

The pub was frequented by all age groups all day. Weekends you couldnt move.

Upstars was an equaly ornate function room.

It was an absolute tragedy when this unique pub was destroyed in the 90's. :( Everything was ripped out and the bar cut down , to allow more (but not much) room for the younger clientel, with disposable income. :angry:

Do you remember The Thurland? or what are your memories of Nottingham Pubs?

I was landlord of the Thurland Hall, with my lovely wife, Maria, from 1986 until the Brewery kicked me out in 1992. Our daughter Lucy - now 20 - was born there. We took over from Freddie Slack, who - whilst I hate to speak ill of the dead - was a monster. He did everything in his power to try and put us out of business. Dreadful old alcoholic. We renovated the pub, called it "Nottingham's London pub" (because it is built in the style of the great London Victorian Gin Palaces, such as the Argyle Arms opposite the Palladium, and the Nag's Head in Covent Garden). We did "doorstopper" roast beef sandwiches, carved on the bar for you, had Monday 'singalongamick' sessions, when I took to the microphone - long before karaoke. We had a very famous VE Day party there in 1990. when drinks were sold at 1945 prices to everyone in WWII dress - the place was a riot!!. It became the Number One businessmen's pub in Nottingham - they said that more deals were done in the Thurland over a pint, than in any boardroom in England ha ha ha!. But - we were taking far too much money, so the greedy b****s at Bass Worthington kicked us out and put a manager. Although I was sad to see the pub go downhill so rapidly after we left, it just served Bass right. Beer sales fell by 80%, the bad lads of Nottingham took over from the businessmen. I have not been in to this day, but am pleased to see that it is re-opening this week in all its former glory. The Old Lady of Thurland Street is getting her fur coat back from the pawnbrokers ha ha ha. I look forward to seeing what they have done and wish the new people, Mr Jimmy Singh and his team, every success there. It is wonderful old pub - a jewel in Nottingham's crown

I did not Know Jimmy Sing was taking over?

Is it the Pool Plaler Ex of Jimmys Club?

I am trying to place you?

Last year I bumped in to Big Barry, the black gut who worked there.

He was driving a dumper truck in D*rby.

See Barry from the Thurland