The old police box on Trent Bridge

Does anyone remember the old police box on Trent Bridge that was situated immediately after Turneys Leather works?

it would often be manned by a couple of officers who were of a similar size and stature to Tug Wilson, I think one of them his second name was Ellis, and had twin lads who attended Arkwright school, this was circa mid to late fifties.

I also attended this school at the time and remember the twins, and recall it being mentioned that one of these officers was their dad.

this box must have been a welcome stopoff point, as I once remember seeing a kettle boiling it's head off, through the open door...

whatever happened to the box - what year was it uprooted, and why ?

and has anyone got a garden shed that perhaps resembles a tardis? ;)

ilko..

Talking about police boxes. When they removed the Tardis from the bottom of Market Street, as part of some redesign of the area, there was a bit of a stink about the loss of such a handy contact point in the city centre.

The powers that be promised to return the box very shortly. 15+ years and we're still waiting. :(

All very well restoring the Police Box, but why on earth locate it out of sight at Sherwood Lodge in the middle of nowhere / "sheepdipper territory"?

City Police IIRC refered to their county "colleagues" as "sheepdippers".

I remember the police box on the square.

But where was it located at Trent Bridge? In the gardens near Turneys or

on the bridge? When did it dissapear?.

There was a police telephone along the embankment.

A cast metal affair with blue light on the top AFAIR?

Just near the walk through that cut back to Trent Bridge School.

Was that on the Trent side Mick next to the rock gardens??

I remember the police box on the square.

But where was it located at Trent Bridge? In the gardens near Turneys or

on the bridge? When did it dissapear?.

The box was situated as shown below, just past Turney's, and prior to the bridge..

not sure when it disappeared, but can't remeber seeing it after about 1960.

can't recall the one near the rock gardens though!

post-11-1111580766_thumb.png

Hang on i'm having a moment :rolleyes: I remember walking down that jitty many times trying to have a last drag on my fag before I got to school :angry: it was always soggy on the end because it was always passed around the other girls, couldn't afford one each we had to share :(

• 9 years later...

I do remember the one at Trent Bridge, but not it's exact location.

There was another one at the other end of the Victoria Embankment near the 40 trolley bus terminus.

Smiffy

That is not the same 'Market Square box' that was outside Yate's, and is now at the Entrance to Police HQ, Sherwood Lodge.

Picture in another thread here somewhere?

• 5 months later...

When we were kids, we were always ' mountaineering '. We used to climb up and sit on the roof of the police box by Turney Bros. That was when we weren't on the Town Arms roof. I can't ever remember seeing any policeman using it though. I have no recollection of a box by the rock gardens twitchell.

As a newcomer i have been checking threads going way back when.I am sure a thread concerned someone who had a police map giving"kiosk" locations, i took these to mean the blue phone boxes. Am i right , there was one situated at the bottom of Bath St. next to the victoria bingo hall. But for a short period i am sure they had a blue police box on Forest Rd/ Mansfield Rd. junction- opposite st. andrews church. The reason i remember this is that the tarmac was always worn away and the tramlines showed through. Any conformation??