• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly, you walked past Dunn & Co and turned left into Board Marsh. where we met in the cafe every morning for the worst cup of stewed tea in the world before walking up Drury hill steps to Weekda

The Towers pub was on the way into Broad Marsh. Now that was rough! A place for picking up ladies of ill repute I believe.

It was a very neglected area at the end but must have looked charming when a lot of the buildings were still timber framed many years before.With a bit of imagination,and modern reproductions of small windowed shop fronts,a Victorian look could have been reintroduced to have made a shopping street with character.

1b5546b0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Time here must be early 1950's, am I right? I agree with you poohbear about how 'charming' the place could have been made to look but when I walked down this once attractive thoroughfare - circa 1960's - it seemed only one step away from fading into oblivion.

That photo which poohbear posted first appeared in the Nottingham Evening Post many years ago (when it was stil a decent paper). When it was first published, one of the people in the photo recognised herself from when it had been taken. In a later "Old Nottingham" book, the lady in question got a mention, like this......

hillpic.jpg

The book which contains this was published at least 15-20 years ago, so things might've changed since then

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I've always thought that sticking the Severns building on Castle Road was not very clever, because it just sits in the middle of nowhere and looks out of place

severnnew.jpg

Whereas in its original location, as Stu demonstrates, it made sense

severns.jpg

Ah, now I recognise it and realise where I had heard 'Sevens' before!

So where was it situated on Middle Pavement CT? The site states it to be at the top of Drury Hill but the surrounding buildings look dissimilar to the previous shots of Drury Hill on this thread.

Agree completely regarding its re-sighting. It looks sadly neglected and forgotten these days.

It was operating as a Lace Museum - or summat similar - until some time ago, but I think it was closed by the same mentality which is closing Brewhouse Yard and other attractions.

Last time I went past Severns, it appeared to be closed and waiting for something to happen.

Have just got off the phone with the selling agents, Bruton-knowles,regarding 43 - 59 Castle gate.Asked for price and if they were open to offers.Phone was passed to 3 people,third person'. Thank you and we will get back in touch.

Probably have to get in touch with the Arab owners. bowdown

Go on mudgie, buy 43 - 59, Castle Gate and then Nottingham can have its Costume Museum back. You must be able to afford it, or why did you enquire?

You can't have much to spend your money on over there in sunny Florida;

:tanning: I mean, it couldn't cost much to luxuriate in the sunshine most of the time!

Hi Jackson,haven't heard back from the agents,maybe tomorrow.

Before the property was purchased,there would have to be a careful and thorough survey of the buildings.

Don't you think a free clinic is more useful than a clothes museum?,isn't there space in the castle or Wollaton hall?

In the photo of Severns in its original location.....

smallsev.jpg

on the left of the building - under the "S" - is an alley to the rear of the place.

Here's that alley from the inside looking out onto the street. With arranged passers-by.

severnsyard.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...

Wasn't the leather smell from a cobblers on Drury Hill?

Wasn't that 'Higham's'?

I lived in Nottm from '63 to '99....in the last few years before I moved on, my neighbour was an amazing man ( then in his '90's) called Harold, who told me he had worked at Highams ( I'm sure that's what it was called) most of his working life, from his apprenticeship onwards. He mentioned the caves being used as air-raid shelters ....and being full of years worth of accumulated rubbish !

This is the first time I've visited this site - thanks for some stunning photos.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

What a great topic, and some fascinating photographs. I was interested to see that the Costume Museum buildings and Severns building are now up for sale. If what I believe to be true that peoples college is to be moved surely it would be in the interest on Nottingham City Council to keep the Costume Museum building and Severns building. Demolish peoples college, and rebuild what was there before, or at least something similiar, which could house bars cafes, small shops, the only way to bring tourism to Nottingham is to get rid of the eyesores of the 1960's & 70's.

In regards to tourism Nottingham City Council are most certainly blind, let alone short sighted.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but not as run-down looking . . . Mind you anything has to look better that the Peoples College, especially if your looking at it from the Castle. I cant understand how or why, Nottingham City Council have lost their way in regards to tourism, especially when it comes to celebrating the City's history - and a history most other cities would give their right arm for.

• 2 months later...

Looking at this got me wondering about a couple of things;

Am I correct in thinking that Middle Hill is a new road which didn't exist before Broad Marsh was redeveloped?

If so, were Drury Hill and Garners Hill the only ways of getting down from Weekday Cross and High Pavement before?

Also, one of the railway arches, near where the signal box was, had a public road under it, was it Cliff Road?

If it was, did vehicles use it as a way of getting from Lister Gate, along Broad Marsh, under the arch and along Cliff Road?

Am I correct in thinking that Middle Hill is a new road which didn't exist before Broad Marsh was redeveloped?

If so, were Drury Hill and Garners Hill the only ways of getting down from Weekday Cross and High Pavement before?

Also, one of the railway arches, near where the signal box was, had a public road under it, was it Cliff Road?

If it was, did vehicles use it as a way of getting from Lister Gate, along Broad Marsh, under the arch and along Cliff Road?

Middle Hill did exist before the redevelopment, but it was only a footpath with steep stairs, like Garner's Hill - there are photos in PTP. So there were three ways of getting down from Weekday Cross. The area was massively redeveloped in the 1890s with the coming of the Great Central. Prior to the railway, Middle Hill was a narrow road like Drury Hill.

middle.jpg

Cliff Road could indeed have been used as a short cut from Lister Gate to Canal Street. I was only a kid when that kind of thing might've happened, so I wouldn't have noticed such things then.