Apparently there was a rather smelly zinc plating business on Drury Hill and it's mentioned in a previous thread here... #214-5

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2890&page=11

That is certainly the smell I remember near the top on the right,also I have been known to drive the gas board mini down the hill without having to steer,fair dinkum but I was young....

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly, you walked past Dunn & Co and turned left into Board Marsh. where we met in the cafe every morning for the worst cup of stewed tea in the world before walking up Drury hill steps to Weekda

The Towers pub was on the way into Broad Marsh. Now that was rough! A place for picking up ladies of ill repute I believe.

• 1 month later...

...and when you get to the top, a timber framed restaurant called Severn's which was relocated onto Castle gate when Broadmarsh started. I once ate there, shortly before it closed, so I make that about 52 - 53 years ago.

Stu, reading you comments about Drury Hill brings to mind a building in Newcastle called Handyside Arcade, a lovely Victorian arcade of iron and glass. Remember all the sights and sounds we had mod shops/antique shops/hippie shops a fabulous mix of new and old. Sadly all pulled down in the name of progress if it had been left what a wonderful place it could have been a glimpse of our past to show the next generation what could have been.

• Upvote 2
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Pity it was swept away, as it could have been developed into something resembling The Shambles in York. 

• Like 1

I dont remember Druery hill but I certainly remember Donkey Hill, I used to walk it when I was going to meet a friend . I was at Elliot Durham secondary school from 1972 till1976

My name then was Carol Long, anyone out there remember me, I was really good friends with a girl called Vicki Ball, and a boy called Derek Picker. any photos would be appreciated

I walked down it and had a hotdog at the little cafe halfway down many many times. Broad Marsh and the bus to Clifton was just around the corner at the bottom.

• Like 1

In my 'teens' I called in a barbers on Drury Hill, it's the only time I've ever been asked "Something for the weekend Sir"?

• 1 year later...

The best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft a-gley.

(Burns)

The recently demolished was a modern shiny glittering futuristic palace of straight lines and more straight lines and did its job while it lasted. But we never were keen on straight lines and grids in our towns. We let the continental grand planners do that. We built our towns piecemeal with curvy bits, twisty streets and quirky little parks and public gardens and human scaled streets.

At least 26 Low Pavement is still standing. Anyone know whether it is in use now and for what purpose?  The building on the corner of Bridlesmith  Gate to the photographer's right was, for many years, Laura Ashley.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

At least 26 Low Pavement is still standing. Anyone know whether it is in use now and for what purpose?  

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

24 and 26 Low Pavement are empty and available to rent through FHP at £155,000 pa.

It was the Jamie Oliver restaurant until all 22 of them closed last year. If the Nottm one was £155k, multiply that up a few times......

• 9 months later...

A bit late to reply to this thread but I've just come across it and have something to add in response to the now-ancient request for information about a sweet shop on Drury Hill.

Yes, there was a sweet shop.  As I understand it my great great grandmother Elizabeth Marriott worked there and the shop itself may well have been called Marriott's, though that information relies on my great aunt's memory of her mother's stories.  If anyone has more info I'd love to hear it.

12 hours ago, jonnyg said:

and the shop itself may well have been called Marriott's, 

What years might this have existed ?

I've had a look at a few Trade Directories around 1900 and there's no shop named Marriotts on Drury Hill (and no sweetshops either)....although that doesn't necessarily mean there weren't any.