Advice on Turkey, the country not the bird!

Lucky you! yes they prefer english money but you'll get change in turkish new lira, First thing to remember is you'll need a £10 english note for a visa (they just stamp your passport at airport) it's £10 per person, if you offer £20 you'll get no change and you can't give £20 for 2 people has to be £10 note with each passport.

Next do not put any toilet paper down the bog, turks put in in their pockets and dispose of it in bins, (only joking,) you put in a bin at side of toilet and this is emptied every fortnight! (joking again, it's done daily by the cleaners) because they do not use toilet paper, waste pipes are small bore and paper blocks them, toilet paper also expensive so take some with you.

There will also be no plugs in any sink so one of these "fit any" ones from likes of wilkinsons handy.

Because it is 99% Islamic there is no beer or any spirits, and don't take any with you! (joking again) at least the first bit beer is about £1 and local spirits about the same! and the place (I guess Icmeler?) full of english bars (turkish owned)

with cute names, The Pig and Whistle, 3 Bells, Geordie Bar, Titanic etc, stay away from the big hotel bars etc and watch your change, prices etc,

You will get pestered by bar staff at almost every bar to come in, they all speak good english, don't lose your temper! (they will push it) but a polite no thank you will suffice,

• Like 1

Can confirm all that Ashley has said. Fish is every expensive but shouldn't bother you if All inclusive.

Some of the cakes are absolutely delicious particularly a pastry ring filled with honey. well worth a try.

The following are worth a visit if the opportunity arises:- Ephesus,(walk the street taken by Anthony and Cleopatra) Sakh Kent(a canyon with the coldest water I have ever been in) Oludenez (Beach seen in all the TV adverts) and finally Pamukkale which is too fantastic to describe.

The holiday reps etc will try to sell these tours as Ian said, some of such mean a long, and I mean long day out in the sun so be prepared, take lots of water with you, in any case far cheaper to go direct to the turks, despite what former will say in their welcome talk or on transfer bus, which has just reminded me that on way in to resort you'll probably stop at a cafe, don't get ripped off there, esp like being charged £1 each for a wee! and don't stroke the feral cats, We were not keen on turkish food but plenty of english style meals superbly cooked cheaply at most places inc full english breakfast (with bacon!) £1 if you shop around, The 8 times we've been, inc 3 month stay, we loved every minute

• 6 years later...

Going to Turkey soon, All Inclusive near Marmaris.

Never been before, Anyone got any advice based on their experiences?

I am told they like English money?

We were in Turkey a few years ago & most cash machines gave out Euros, US Dollars & Turkish Lira

Sterling was accepted any where but after Brexit & the fall in the value of the pound???

What R'Red said.

Since my post in 2009, we have travelled to turkey every year for a weeks holiday. Some years twice.

We were there last month and soon after our return we had again booked our return for later in the year.

Anyone who has not tried Turkey should do so, I highly recommend it.

Florida and the states in general has now priced its self out of the market with extra 'resort taxes' imposed

by the hotels themselves.

In view of today's atrocities, it's simple. DONT GO !

Best way to see America is hire a rental car and hit the road, stay away from heavy tourist areas like Florida and southern Cal, see the Rockies, visit Jack Daniels distillery, no, you can't get samples, it's in a dry county, but the town and grounds are spectacular and they have the southern welcome. Try the old cowboy towns of Kansas, civil war sites, Wyoming is spectacular, go see the Great Salt Lake, visit Montana. Motels are reasonably priced and so are meals, in fact when we've been touring we found some of the meals were way too large.

General touring is the best way to see America, never been to Florida, but beware down there, there are many Alligators, in fact they are a nisance to locals who take them in their stride. They are careful to check their back yards before venturing to their swimming pools!!

A young kid was snatched by an Alligator about a week back!!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Re ticket to New Zealand, my "ex" flew back there yesterday, Flew Manchester to somewhere in France, then from there to China, China to Australia, Aus to to North Island then on to South island, each time changing planes, gets there Sunday Dinner, no idea of cost but said that was cheapest way to do it

Seems it was all "a fart in colander"

• Upvote 1

I see that prick Obama poked his nose in!!

Backing that Turkish tyrant- why don't the yanks mind their own back yard?..Try fixing up New Orleans,which is still wrecked after Hurricane Nosy Parker!!

SF, or LA would have been repaired in weeks. Other than a few other hyped up areas, F the rest.

# 16. There is no way I would make all those flights no matter how much I'd be saving. It's not just the hours in the air but the worst of it would be the stress and time in all those darn airports. I'd keep saving my pennies until I could get from A to B quicker.

• Upvote 1

Yes, sod the cost, just get there!

A lot of things can happen between now and then Mick, keep on eye on Russia, and on China, both are sabre rattling, China is making threats.

Like him or loath him, he's The Foreign Secretary and is in command of more facts than we are. Just be sensible.

If one loses their holiday money, it's better than losing your head !

• Upvote 2