" can't say I've seen a sandstone wall" Another clanger by yours truely! Saw it today all right, it's massive! my "exuse" is when I went in that area pre my interest in railway history last thing I'd have noticed was a sandstone wall! and later I would have been round the corner looking at the blue brick railway ones or on land above.

Alot of the land around there was railway owned including some alotments on now built on land near trent lane, it was there I bought an obvious ex railway shed when the gardeners had to leave , lovely thing, probably 10ft x 8ft, faded "blood and custard" (maroon and cream) BR paint work with the fluted edgings like on platform canopies and "spike" on each end of ridge roof, can't recall price, but it included delivery, so come the following saturday I think one wall, one end and half the roof arrived, the rest to follow next day, only it didn't! nor the day after nor for weeks, in fact it never did! and I had no idea where seller lived nor any contact details having just met him on the site when I went to view. Turned out night he delivered that half he was rushed in hospital for emerg appendix op and in meantime along came the clearing gang and burnt the rest! took me weeks to get rid of my bits by same method

• 4 months later...

My Mum worked in the top floor of this building at Mansfield Rd/Forest Rd in the early thirties.She was around 17 and was repairing typewriters for 17/6d a week...17/- went straight to her Mother and the other 6d got her in the Palais on a Saturday where she was lucky to meet my Dad who with £3/10s a week was able to give her a good time...I've never been in there but can imagine her looking out the windows...probably the same sashes that were in then.

mmnnmm.jpg

Does anyone have info on these buildings...Who built them...Architect etc. It's amazing the crap councils over the years haven't flogged 'em off for a tesco express by now.

Bit of history there...probably built when Sherwood Street was still fields of waving corn and there were still 13 windmills along Forest Road...Can you imagine that?...fields of corn right down to Shakespeare Street only a hundred odd years ago.

She was a looker then was my Mum....

img044.jpg

yes, your mum was a bueatiful womam, the architect i'm having a stab in the dark as watson fothergill.

the architect i'm having a stab in the dark as watson fothergill.

Afraid not, its not his style, there's a list of his surviving buildings on Wiki, he's buried in Rock Cemetery across the road from here by the way.