• 5 months later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know about that look at Ronnie Wood & Keith Richards

Alcoholism is an illness that many people can't be cured from, which is tragic for themselves and their families. Ann is correct when she states that Paul Gascoine has been given a lot of help before.

Phil Collins no longer retired comeback at 64. If he's hard up he could have come to me for a sub as we are practically family. According to Ancestry.co.uk --- my great aunt's husband's sister marr

You what !!!!!!!!!! Nobody forced him to be a perpetual alcoholic.

If he's too thick and stupid to keep drinking, that's his own fault.

Anyway, he's a dirty cheat. Cup Final 92.

Alcoholism is an illness that many people can't be cured from, which is tragic for themselves and their families. Ann is correct when she states that Paul Gascoine has been given a lot of help before. Many Premier League footballers chipped in to pay for all his costs and expenses during his last time in rehab. He did well for a while but then went back on the booze. It was the same with George Best, he also had the help he needed but ended up drinking himself to death. It's not just the big stars of the entertainment world who become alcoholics, it's the millions of other people around the world also. Most of these don't go into luxurious rehab places for treatment, they just curl up and die in the gutter. Some say that people shouldn't become alcoholics in the first place but ask them to stop smoking two packets of cigarettes a day. That's killing them but I doubt if they'd stop.

• Upvote 3

My first wife was an alcoholic and the worst part about it was she never admitted it till too late

She would hid bottles of whiskey/gin all over the place.

The booze killed her in the end in 2002 aged 48.

I suppose the way my wife died made me realise the dangers of drinking too much.

I usually stick to beer(with the odd glass of wine) and try to keep my intake to a safe(ish)level.

BUT I still enjoy my beer and can go without if I want/need to (sometimes for a week or more)

You what !!!!!!!!!! Nobody forced him to be a perpetual alcoholic.

If he's too thick and stupid to keep drinking, that's his own fault.

Anyway, he's a dirty cheat. Cup Final 92.

If you are an alcoholic you are an alcoholic the only cure(it's not really a cure) is to STOP FULL STOP.

• Upvote 1

I too believe the alcoholic gene is passed down through families, I know of at least three members of my family (not my parents) who suffered with it, my brother lost his marriage and kids to it before it killed him along with the fags.

One reason I am almost a teetotaler myself, I say almost as I do drink the odd beer or glass of wine, especially with a meal.

I have personally seen the damage booze can do to families.

It is a known fact that most true-blood aboriginals here in oz have the addiction gene, hence why many fall to the dreaded grog, or other issues like petrol sniffing.

• Upvote 1

From my own experience, the armed services seemed to be a strange mix with regards alcohol. On the one hand, misdemeaners involving alcohol were severely frowned upon. On the other hand, there were more opportunities for going over top everywhere you looked. This club, that club; this rank's mess, that ranks mess; all had their own bar and the attitude of, 'give the lads a barrel of beer and they'll do anything for you', still persisted in my time. If you were a non/light drinker, you were a bit out of things. It's a national addiction and not a staple diet.

I still think Gazza's thick !

If he hadn't been good at football, he would have been unemployable.

• Upvote 2

I will say one thing there for the grace of ***** go I

I have enjoyed beer all my adult life & have had more than my fair share without becoming addicted. ;)

One complaint when I first started drinking a pint was 1/10d(9p) it's now about £3. :(

• Upvote 1