Sol Campbell

I've just heard on the news that Sol Cambell is pulling out. He must know something, for £40,000 a week, as a past it England player, I'd happily play for the local sewage works team.

It's not happening is it, beaten by Morecambe at the weekend, something isn't right.

I recall when Sirrell appeared on the scene and used his canny guille to take on free transfers and so called past it players, probably gratefull to receive a pittance in wages, but after a while, it worked.

I recall watching the England World Cup Match last week and we were treated to a view of Sven sitting in the stands, as the commentator said, 'He must be on a scouting mission, after all Notts County can afford to buy any of these players'. I was a bit shocked by those comments, but perhaps thats the attitude of the footballing world towards the club.

Is it really just a big corporate tax relief party, or do they really mean business, only time will tell.

As someone who could have played professional football (only the fact I wasn't good enough stopped me) I say good riddence, alot of 4th division (well that's what it is) forwards are young and rely on speed and reflexes and at 35 and heavy I couldn't see him coping even if experienced and skilful, it isn't just injuries that bring about retirement in their 30's. That said watch him go to Newcastle then again play play for England! lol

It's no wonder he's pulled out , I watched him Saturday and he didn't have a bloody clue , I reckon he's on something !!!

From some of the comments I've read on various sites I think you're right Beefsteak, it sounds like good riddance to a petulant, over paid, prima donna. I think it unlikely that he will further his career after this. Any idea yet on who the Premiership on loan replacement is.

As for being past it at 35, I recall Bobby Mackinlay playing his heart out in the great Forest team of 66-67 and that was fast, skillful football. Look who he had to face, Law, Charlton, Best, Greavsie, Hurst, Hunt, Hateley, Don Rogers et al, he smoked copious amounts of plain fags as well.

I bet Bobby wasn't on a £10m contract, £20 a week more like.

times move on, the fact that bloke smoked alot yet could still maintain his place in a top first division team at aged 35 rather enforces the notion that that today's game is faster and demands an alot higher fitness level? Who knows, if he hadn't smoked they might have been champions that year? Can't remember for certain all the details but day they "lost" the championship some away team fans (think Londoners?) having won at City Ground asked me the way to the then new M1, hope they enjoyed their trip to Lincs

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Sol Campbell