towns being over run

Has anyone noticed how every town that you go to, it's over run with charity shops and cafe's, i mean come on...... what is it, do people think that we spend all our money in, pubs, restaurants and cafes and then can't afford to go to places like peacocks and asda or any of the other clothes and toy shops. I mean have you seen some of the prices that these charity shops put on things, I went in one today and nearly bought a shirt but glad i didn't as i then went to tesco and got a brand new one for less than the one at the charity shop, it's ridiculous, they get this stuff off us for nothing, basically have no rent on shop either so why can they not lower the prices.

What does everyone else think

Homer

With the ridiculous rent and business rates they are the only ones can afford the shops with their charity status.

High streets are as you say just catering establishments (high profit) estate agents,travel agents and the like.

Other retailers have been driven out by the supermarkets.Everywhere you go ...boarded up shops.

Idiot councils with their Tesco chums.

Can't comment on their prices...never used one...prefer the car boots.

Now come on homer those are the shops I use when a new shirt is wanted especially when I needed to impress a lady at the club, but those days are over now, Beatrice as just reminded me by a gentle slap to me head.

I have several Charity shop shirts hanging in my wardrobe at the moment, I only go for Ben Sherman only because I like there styling and they are dangerously expensive to buy new.

The Baker’s oven as disappeared in Long Eaton to be replaced yet again by a charity shop, there is only Greggs now where one can get a hot pasty from when one is people watching with Diezel, he liked the Bakers Oven chicken and mushroom pasties but I prefer any day a nice hot and juicy baked potato with two toppings.

Bip.

Well I don't like charity shops at all, and evry town seems to be full of them, makes for boring shopping. I would sooner buy something new from a shop that I can afford to go in i.e. Peacocks or Primark. !englandflag!

How can I reply to that?

It looks like I shall be going into them on my own then tich?

Personally I don't see a problem with them I'm not that proud to cross their threshold like some mealy mouthed old codgers even though like tich I too can afford to shop at the upper end class of booteec like Peacocks and Walmarts but saying that I find Georges gear is good too even though one knows a five year old has probably sawn the buttons on the garment but then again the bowl of rice they receive in payment stops them from starving to death on the deceased ridden streets of Clitheroe.

Bip.

Whats all this, another thread deteriorating into the Itchy and Scratchy Show, can you two only communicate by Internet from the same room.

It's interesting how outsiders view things differently. My pal from near Grantham caled in and spent the day down here yesterday. We had a good old wander round the town and he commented on what a nice place it was with no boarded up shops and plenty of choices, our Woolies has been taken over by Iceland, like it or not, but at least a major chain has removed what seems to be a boarded up eyesore in many town centres.

As far as purchasing clothes are concerned, Itchy and Scratchy, we have Freeport, a so called designer village. Yes, it can be a bit of a con, with the big manufacturers just offloading their outdated and outsize stuff, but on the other hand you can get lucky if you sniff about. My triumph was buying a pair of what are usually really ridiculessly overpriced Vercace jeans for £20, reduced from £200, you are paying for the label you say, which is true, but quite frankly the quality is amazing, they've been through hell over the past few years but are still going strong. Interestingly enough, with all the kids wanting designer stuff, which you can buy cheaply on the doorstep, we still have a Peacocks etc in the town centre which keeps going and quite right too, nowt wrong with what they sell, we support them and so does the local population.

As far as charity shops are concerned, we have our quota, but they are wise these days, it's unlikely that you are going to pick up a Moorcroft for 20p.

Oh dear didn't mean to offend anyone just sick of all the charity shops that appear to be taking over our town. As for going into them I am not such a snob, have been into them for things like fancy dress with my children, but still find all the things way overpriced, sorry quackers, but if you would like me to go in with you I will !inthebin!

"Charity Shops" you say?

"Bargains to be had" thats what I say!

But not in the UK.

Always visit the "Thrift Stores" in the US, usually Los Angeles.

Best Bargain ever was in Palm Spring.

A massive book about US Bomber bases in the UK.

ONE DOLLAR!

Must see If I can find it?

Look behind the front door Mick you might had once used it to keep the dam thing ajar or it could be under the dining room table leg or even under one corner of the shed you said some months ago that you were raising....

Bip.

Best Bargain ever was in Palm Spring.

A massive book about US Bomber bases in the UK.

ONE DOLLAR!

Must see If I can find it?

Mick

Our doctors surgery runs a scheme whereby people are encouraged to donate books that they no longer want, whatever size or content, they go for 20p which goes back into their 'CREAMER' fund. The result is the most amazingly equiped doctors surgery/health centre in Essex. The turn over in books is quite fantastic, 20p doesn't sound much, but when you sit in the waiting room confronted by this massive library, you tend to get carried away, no crappy old Country Life magazines in this place, the world of books is on show to everyone. My in laws are not the healthiest people in the world and so I usually end up with several books a week, get through them and take them back for recycling to other people, it's a brilliant idea and it works, other practices take note, though perhaps up in Nottingham there could be a problem with books in English.