Nottingham Castle..its history

A book about Nottingham castle dedicated to the 5th Duke of Newcastle printed in the 1800s...A long but interesting read.

Check out the print on page 15 for a fascinating print of the early castle and town.

Just scroll down page by page and click on the zoom top left to enlarge or decrease page size.

http://www.archive.org/stream/nottinghamitsca00hinegoog#page/n0/mode/1up

Just a past name used for the old place that got burned down a couple of centuries back.

Very true...and a damned ugly one at that.The engraving above gives a clue what it must have looked like in earlier days.It must have been an imposing castle in it's day.Before the Duke of Newcastle decided to turn it into an ugly mansion.

I think it's proper name is Ducal Palace for some reason, I too have a friend who visits me from Scotland and he always says "It's not a proper castle" what an embarrassment.To think he shows me all the castles in Scotland near to where he lives (Edinburgh) and all I can show him is that miserable excuse.

Rog

You could always take them to Skeggy and build them a sand one Rog !!! Or take them to Lincoln and show them a "Real" cathedral!!

From what I've heard about Nottingham Castle, so much of it survives below ground, but the Council can't be bothered to put any funds into carrying out excavations. I've always been surprised that Baldrick hasn't appeared with the Devon tramp and excavated the lot, paid for by C4, or has he.

I recall the old days when we were whisked off down Mortimers Hole and shown all the secret passages including the alleged sealed off door to the dungeons, so has that ever been opened up and aren't the old Mort Hole routes now closed off due to H & S.

Another story I heard was that when Fairfax dynamited the main keep, that everything, including the furniture, tumbled into the bottom two stories that are now the Castle Green, but such is the attraction of this to the general public, that they won't ever excavate it.

If some of these stories are true then it's a shame, I'm sure that the tourists would like to see more of a medieaval castle rather than an art gallery.

• 6 years later...

Given the height advantage of the castle that's not at all impossible as a cannon ball fly's it would be under a mile. However the terminology of the time for such a long range shot was 'random' because that's what it was, you could lob the ball but there was very little chance of hitting what you were aiming at. Usually engagements were 500 yards or so.