There is a warning locally not to put Halloween pumpkins out in woods and think you are doing the animals a favour. Hedgehogs, badgers and foxes can die or have serious stomach upsets because of the fibrous pulp that they’re not used to.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Halloween Y'awl don't eat to much cotton candy, you'll get nightmares! How long do we have to suffer this Americanised b******s 

We have a Light party at church this evening where we celebrate life and light (and we eat nice food and sweets, have games, songs and crafts as well). Why celebrate death when you can celebrate Life?

From 5pm to 8pm tonight, all lights & telly off, take car off the drive & park it up the road, move to backroom, doing the fat kids a favor 

Lizzie, I think I would believe the LEICS and Rutland Wildlife Trust where the warning came from. I think it’s the amount that are put out that’s the problem.

• Like 1

Around our neighbourhood Halloween celebrations are very civilised these days.  The local Facebook group publishes a list of the houses that are happy to get Trick or Treaters knocking, which I think is a great idea, it means that old buggers like us don’t get disturbed whilst having dinner!  It’s for kids anyway and ours have never lived up here.  I heard some excited children walking up the road earlier, including a real tiny tot wearing a witch’s hat, the heavens had opened and they were absolutely drenched but having a good time.  I’d got a stock of sweeties and chocolates in, just in case, but nobody came knocking.  Looks like we’ll have to eat them now.  

• 11 months later...

When I was much younger, almost nobody did anything about Halloween. A few people had heard of it, and that was that.

Now there's an increasing number of houses covered with the appropriate 'decorations'. In a few years it will be on a par with Xmas decorations.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

When I was much younger, almost nobody did anything about Halloween. A few people had heard of it, and that was that.

We never bothered with Halloween as kids, we were too busy getting pennies for the guy.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Now there's an increasing number of houses covered with the appropriate 'decorations'. In a few years it will be on a par with Xmas decorations.

And we've got the yanks to thank for that little contribution.

• Like 2

I almost drowned playing bob apple when I was a four year old at infant school. I fell, face first, into the bowl of water. Wouldn't happen today. Elf and safety!  The cats are falling out about who's riding pillion on the broomstick later tonight. :Vampire:

• Like 4

Next door has cobwebs smothered on their gate and balcony. No trick or treating we are too far from civilization!!!