Thanks for the reply LL, I'm not bothered either way to be honest I just wanted to inject a bit of life into this site as it has been very quiet today, but as you say,interesting topic''

Rog

• Like 2
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Halloween Y'awl don't eat to much cotton candy, you'll get nightmares! How long do we have to suffer this Americanised b******s 

We have a Light party at church this evening where we celebrate life and light (and we eat nice food and sweets, have games, songs and crafts as well). Why celebrate death when you can celebrate Life?

From 5pm to 8pm tonight, all lights & telly off, take car off the drive & park it up the road, move to backroom, doing the fat kids a favor 

• 8 months later...

Well I was wondering why we hadn’t had any Trick or Treaters around here this evening, considering there are a few local young families.  Just been outside and see that we have a ‘POLICE CRIME SCENE- DO NOT ENTER’ banner right across the double electric gates!   No idea where that came from but it will be saved for next year :crazy: We’ve got lots of sweeties to eat ourselves now!  

Oh and 47 years ago tonight my husband and I had our first proper date, he took me to The Chateau for a steak dinner.  :wub:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Same here, nothing. A bag full of mini chocolate bars to myself. Yippee.

Living in a rural area, we don't have that nonsense, houses around here are anything up to and sometimes more than a mile apart. Our drive is over half a mile long, then there's the danger of wild life,  bear, mountain lion, Bobcats (Lynx) and coyotes, so kid's aren't allowed to roam too far from home in the dark.

I might add, even I don't venture too far from the house in the dark without a good flashlight and a loaded rifle.

At home on the Isle of Man we have had very few trick or treaters in the last few years.

I am actually in Nottingham for a few days staying in West Bridgford and from about 4:30 onwards there have been hordes of children and adults banging on doors. Its now 8:45 and there's still quite a few about. #hidingnow.

We only had one group of 'trick or treaters' and they were family...... our son, a niece, 2 grandchildren and a couple of their little cousins.  The children WEREN'T dressed in ghoulish costumes - in fact our granddaughter looked beautiful in a flowing dress and flowers in her hair, 2 boys were Superheroes and another was a dinosaur!  

After they'd gone, we switched off all the lights at the front of the house and we haven't had anymore visitors, I'm pleased to say...... 

The village children know that they are only supposed to visit houses which have a pumpkin outside .... and we don't.!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Poles celebrate All Saints. I've often seen the graves of expat Polish adorned with beautifully decorated jars with a candle inside which have been placed there for this festival by their fellow Poles. I  think it's lovely that they've taken the trouble to identify the graves of their compatriots and offer such a nice gesture. It certainly beats plastic flowers!

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Poles celebrate All Saints. I've often seen the graves of expat Polish adorned with beautifully decorated jars with a candle inside which have been placed there for this festival by their fellow Poles. I  think it's lovely that they've taken the trouble to identify the graves of their compatriots and offer such a nice gesture. It certainly beats plastic flowers!

Talking of plastic flowers can anyone remember the plastic flowers that used to come free in a packet of Daz? 

I was going to ask if All Saints was celebrated in UK. Here it’s tremendous, the village is “ invaded” with families of the defunct. Flowers are everywhere including cemeteries. Thank goodness they are now offering alternatives besides Chrysanthemums. “ Flowers of the dead” today I’ve seen all sorts of colours and it will certainly brighten the cemetery up.Especially those awful walls of grave stones.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, MargieH said:

I don't celebrate Halloween but I appreciate that young children take a lot of care carving out pumpkins.  For this reason, I feel sad that some youths went round the village last night smashing any at were still outside houses, or kicking them down the road.   Some of the little children were crying when they saw what had happened to their pumpkins.

How cruel they have obviously had a traumatic life. The youth ( bad ones) seem to take delight in messing or breaking things up. Feel sorry for those poor kids . The only pumpkins I will put out will be made of wool and they can stay out all winter !

13 hours ago, MRS B said:

Talking of plastic flowers can anyone remember the plastic flowers that used to come free in a packet of Daz? 

I remember red plastic roses from Daz.