Serves you right... Gyms should be banned !!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At school I was top in physical education and belonged to the school vaulting club, even in that I was top, but I was hopeless at games and didn't understand netball or hockey. Once I left school I ne

Maybe another way to look at it is that genes will kill you but exercise might fend them off for a bit?   We are all going to die. I think I have already posted about my wife's five sibling

Ben, I bet me and a few other girls on here, would gladly donate a few pounds to your cause. 

• 10 months later...

Advice ! They wouldn't ever seek advice. They think they bloody know it all already!

• 2 months later...

I always avoid such things !

All this does is allow glorified prima donna's the opportunity to wallow in self glorification, with Nottm City Council wallowing in PC correctness.

Before anyone comments about politics, be assured this post is NOT.

• Upvote 1

And the totally unnecessary disruption to traffic. As I've said previously, I've nothing against them running around doing their bit for charities , but don't interrupt and inconvenience others whilst doing it. 25 laps of Wollaton Park would suffice. 

• Upvote 1

We're all different in weight and health etc, and I'd always advise a chat with the Doc before going daft in the Gym. (I don't use gyms)

For what it's worth I am currently trying to drag myself back into a fitness regime which worked well for me about ten years ago.  I can't run because of knee problems and heart issues, but I can still exercise.  I did this while still doing a full time job, so I've no real excuse now I'm retired.

Swimming: 3 times a week.  Used to aim for a kilometre or even a mile but only now aim to do 20 lengths ( 500m) as quick as I can. Ticker won't let me do more than a couple of lengths at a time.

Short 'power walks'. 3 times a week.  Basically 15 minutes uphill from the village as far and fast as I can manage, turn round and walk back.

Either the swims or the power walks are a good warm up for a session of:

Weight Training.. Alternate days.  Free weights.  No machines. Nothing too heavy.  Around 7-10 Kg depending on the particular move.  You can get a pair of 7.5 Kg dumb bells and weights from Argos for a few quid, complete with an exercise chart. Don't go too heavy too quick and always move slowly and keep in control.

The swimming and walking are for general cardio and flexibility.

The weights are more for 'toning' than 'body building'.  Toned muscles apparently burn more calories, even at rest. That said, last time, my kids noticed I'd gone a bit 'buff'  :)

The other side of this is weight loss.  Some comes from the weights and exercise, but you'd have to do a helluvalot to burn off an unhealthy diet.

So, my method was to cut right down on starchy carbs like rice, spuds, bread and pasta. 

Example, pack out a curry with green beans, cauliflower, peppers etc. and maybe one small spud sliced up.  Eat 'as is' without rice or Nan Bread. 

Example, substitute a load of cauiflower for the rice/chips/spuds when having Chilli, Curry, Steak or whatever.

Example. Just three or four decent sized chips, or couple of spoonfuls of rice, etc., with 'whatever' instead of a plateful.

Fish, Peas. and NO Chips  ;)

The above does make you feel a bit odd at first, though not really hungry.  Soon wears off though.

I didn't cut out fats, but tried to keep the average intake below 50g per day. 

I didn't cut out booze, but went for more wine and less beer.  Seems a fair exchange!  :)

Result for me was I went from 14 stone to 11stone 2 in about 3 months.  Also my cholesterol fell from 5.2 to 3.7 and most of my digestive issues also disappeared. I only kept this upp during the week.  Weekends, or the odd meal out, were a free for all.

I don't know if I'll manage so well this time but I'm giving it a go.

Last night I had cabbage and bacon followed by yoghurt and berries.

Lunch today was a couple of hard boiled eggs with salad. (NO bread)

This evening I'm making Leeks and Ham in a cheesy sauce with a side of roasted veg (No spuds!)

So, may not suit everyone. (Or anyone!) But I hope it helps.

Col

• Upvote 2

Worth a go, but I love my half covered plain chocolate digestives !

Don't we all!

You do need to be a bit disciplined at first but you don't really go hungry and you soon find that you want less food because your body is using what you do eat much more efficiently.

The real trial for me is going to be doing without my customary Magnum ice cream after dinner. :(

Col, I feel worn out just reading about your exercise routine!   Also I now feel hungry with all this talk of food - healthy or otherwise..... and we've had our main meal today so we've got a long time to wait for tea.  

• Upvote 1

This keep fit lark is really odd,did a lot of sport into my 50s,then a lot of walking hiking into my late 60s,dont do much at all nowadays,but gone from 14 to 15 stone in my prime to just under 12,..........Doc says its great whatever you doing keep at it,but i'd love to gain some weight,but no matter what I eat makes no difference..........so to keep myself happy dress to suit my weight,which mostly involves,buying young mans styles ie tight jeans and posh shoes,but stay with my style of shirts and jackets.............long sleeves to cover my skinny arms,used to have footballers legs,........alas no more..........so buy shorts that suit ie knee length with a hint of muscle..........lol..........

Into my late 40s I could eat whatever I liked and still remained a size 8. No longer, sadly. Middle age has caught up with me. Now I can't lose it. I won't see my 18" waist again!

As long as you can still fit into your liberty bodice, Ben!:mellow:

• Upvote 2

Apologies for boosting this old topic from #81 posts to #96 posts I know some don't like it I'm only getting limited WiFi ...... Or I'd be bumping loads while laying round the pool, 

Sure my deleted post would have got the board talking but hay ho ...... We are all Gods children.

Must confess I weakened a bit last night and scoffed a Mr Kipling's Cherry Bakewell just before I hit the sack. 

However, my resolve has returned this morning.  Today will be a full session on the weights.

Squats

Upright Row

Bent Over Row

Chest Presses

Shoulder Presses

Bicep Curls

Tricep Kick Backs

I do 30 of each in sets of 10  Takes about 30-40 minutes. No rushing and all moves done slowly.  It's more effective that way.

Wish me luck.. I may not be able to type for a few days... :laugh:

Col

• Upvote 1