• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At school I was top in physical education and belonged to the school vaulting club, even in that I was top, but I was hopeless at games and didn't understand netball or hockey. Once I left school I ne

Maybe another way to look at it is that genes will kill you but exercise might fend them off for a bit?   We are all going to die. I think I have already posted about my wife's five sibling

Ben, I bet me and a few other girls on here, would gladly donate a few pounds to your cause. 

Well.. just finished my weights set.  Shocked at how out of condition I've let myself get.  I've had to reduce my weights from 7-11 Kg, to about 6.5 kg all around.  Got a bit to do to get back to my Schwarzenegger days.. ;)

Col you'll be walking about as if you got Rolls of wallpaper under each arm soon............just as long as you don't wear vest to show the biceps off or 3/4 length shorts and Sandals..........you be ok.............

• Upvote 1

Simple regime for me these days - row 10K+ before breakfast and then eat and drink what I like. Out fly fishing all day tomorrow so i'll row 20K on Wed. Good bp, cholesterol and no signs on diebetes. No tablets and always happy smile2 

And...I'm only guessing...good genes? It helps a lot. Ran into a former colleague from 9 years ago today. I was horrified to hear that three people I used to work with and who are all younger than I am are recovering from breast cancer, a stroke and 3 heart attacks, respectively.  Makes you think. Well,if exercisewise you're an idle beggar like me, it does!:blink:

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Col you'll be walking about as if you got Rolls of wallpaper under each arm soon............just as long as you don't wear vest to show the biceps off or 3/4 length shorts and Sandals..........you be ok.............

Naaahhh.  I don't wear sandals because it's easier to kick sand in people's faces without them  ;)

https://blogintomystery.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/atlasold.jpg

Col

• Upvote 1

#105 Jill, Good genes will help good health, but it is only part of the story. As I see it, regular exercise is a free insurance policy against future poor health and age related problems. Exercise is a medicine for just about anything. I sincerely believe that I am enjoying a legacy that has been built up by decades of cycling and other activities. I lapsed between my mid 40's to mid 50's and became very unfit and overweight but came back to compete at cycling and rowing. It's never to late to take stock and to re adjust our lifestyle.

Even those with good genes will suffer the consequences of living a sedentary life style along with smoking and poor diet..Poor genes are often blamed for conditions that have been self inflicted over long periods. 

I could die tomorrow - but I will die having felt as well and fit as my ageing body allows, up until that moment. 

• Upvote 3

Maybe another way to look at it is that genes will kill you but exercise might fend them off for a bit?

We are all going to die. I think I have already posted about my wife's five sibling cousins, three of whom are dead from cancer, one is terminally ill and the other is fighting breast cancer.  A strong sign of genes at work I think, especially since their Dad was one of four brothers who also succumbed to cancer.

My Dad and Sis died of lung disease, My Mum died of heart disease, as did her Dad and my brother and I both have heart disease.  Genes are powerful things.

But I do fully subscribe to the idea that exercise is a terrific healer, if not a permanent one.  I've healed myself of depression through exercise.  I'm told my heart is better and fitter (just like any other muscle) because I exercise.  And less than a week into my 'regime', I already feel better.

Genes.  If you can't beat them... make them wait.  :)

• Upvote 5

At school I was top in physical education and belonged to the school vaulting club, even in that I was top, but I was hopeless at games and didn't understand netball or hockey. Once I left school I never thought about it again until maybe a year ago. Seeing my mum struggling to walk made me think" I don't want to be like that when or if I reach her age ( 94). I had always dabbled in a bit of yoga but never concentrated in it only practicing it when I felt it necessary. Now I walk every morning and do yoga twice a week and I feel tons more fit and I've lost 10 kg. Even my oncologist says I look a lot more healthy and I was doing the right thing. Soo it works.

• Upvote 5

Concerning my new low carb diet etc.

I've not had the time to do much on the weights, but I think the gardening has made up for that.

Have massively reduced my intake of carbs.  No rice, pasta bread or cakes at all and just a maximum of maybe 1 small spud with a meal. Living mostly on veggies like cauliflower and broccoli plus salad stuff, tomatoes etc., plus lots of eggs, meat, cheese and so on.   I could kill for a slice of thick buttered toast lathered in jam, but it's a bit like the old Nicotine withdrawal.  Ignore the pangs and they go away.

Result. I'm down from 14 st 5ib to around the 14 st mark.  Target is somewhere below 12st.so a way to go yet. ...  :)

Col

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: #108.  Very sad to announce that the fourth of five siblings, my wife's lovely cousin Heather, succumbed to cancer in the early hours of yesterday. Thurs. 13th.

I was informed of this by her sister, who is  the last of the five, and fighting breast cancer.

I can't begin to imagine how she feels.

Col

Very sad news, Col, the surviving sister must be feeling really bereft, also so sad for you and your wife. We will pray for the whole situation x

• Upvote 1

So sad DJ360. My sincere condolences to you and your family. There is no escape from this terrible illness. I feel for your sister it must be terrible having lost her siblings with the same illness. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So sorry its so big but couldn't get it any smaller . Deep sea diving at Cairns Australia and bronco :rolleyes: riding in Texas

Bronco in 1966 and diving in 1998

James Cracklell in the Boat Race today! Stunning performance from the fittest 46 y/o around. I was interested in the heart rate recordings of some of the crew members = resting 40 HR bpm and rowing in the 190's just 2 or 3 below their max!! These guys are so fit that they can sustain power when in the red.

• Like 1