Got a new tyre for the road bike (£29.00)and fitted it, put my new lights (£19.00)on handle bars and seat stem and took off around the lanes where I live, went about 3 miles and got a visit from the puncture fairy, had to walk back home, might just go for a walk tonight. Still not lost any weight but feeling a lot better health wise, getting the mountain bike prepared now (not many mountains in Lincolnshire though) and I might give that a blast off road at the weekend

Rog

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At school I was top in physical education and belonged to the school vaulting club, even in that I was top, but I was hopeless at games and didn't understand netball or hockey. Once I left school I ne

Maybe another way to look at it is that genes will kill you but exercise might fend them off for a bit?   We are all going to die. I think I have already posted about my wife's five sibling

Ben, I bet me and a few other girls on here, would gladly donate a few pounds to your cause. 

Me and hubby ave just got ourselves mountain bikes. Dont intend goin up any mountains tho! lol.Try to stick to cycle paths where we can. Dont like goin on the roads. Avent bin on a bike for about 40 year so takin a bit of gettin used to.

Avent bin on a bike for about 40 year so takin a bit of gettin used to.

Best get yersen one of them 'Gell Seats' then gal rotfl.gif

As a young un you couldn't keep me off a bike and i rode to and from work for twelve years in all weathers too. i wasn't one of these fine weather cyclist, i carried at all times a puncture outfit for those times when things went a little flat.

Bip.

I agree Bip and I do carry a puncture outfit but it's not practical to repair punctures at the side of the road on these dark lanes, pitch black it is, anyway, new tube fitted when I got back home and off out again the following night, looking forward to the weekend when I can get the recumbent trike out again and have a ride on that.

Chrissy, enjoy your mountain bikes they're great fun too, if or before you ride on any canal tow paths make sure you don't need a permit, I know along the Nottingham canal you do but I'm not sure where you get them from.

A fave route for our little group when I lived in Nottingham was from Strelley village over the motorway down to Awsworth and Cossall and back via Trowell nearly all off road so no traffic worries.

Rog

Well today we all had to have the annual medical assessment at work and as you know I've really tried to get fit through my cycling and diet of practically nothing to eat for the past three months, my results were, blood pressure too high 195 over sommat, cholesterol through the roof at 7, weight in the "I should be worried" category and not an ounce lost, lung capacity, not too bad, all in all I can now add depression to my problems, what can I do to lose this weight? I know, lose 50 lbs of useless fat = have me head cut off

Rog, I'm off now for a big plate of chips

Can't believe the mileage I did aged 14ish to 17, would think nothing of Matlock and back sundays or up to Ambergate then back via Belper and Ilkeston Wednesday nights, didn't do me any good though was still crap at time trails and finished up having heart bypass! Still go out now and again on a bike and still do some distance at my own pace but anything needing effort forget it

Been for my "Aqua Fit" session this morning (An hour of dancing in a swimming pool to ABBA's greatest hits, only male there, and I lower the average age by about 20 years...LOL !!) and got out feeling knackered.!! A quick bacon and sausage sandwich to make me feel better!!, then to the docs for my 3 monthly assessment (Gave my blood samples this time last week) to find (That even though I had forgotten to take one of sets of tablets on holiday with me),................. Blood pressure fine !!! Blood Sugars fine !!! Cholesterol fine !!! I still have to take 7 tablets a day to keep me going but other wise .......fine !!!!

I don't feel any better and I certainly haven't lost any weight!!

I don't feel any better and I certainly haven't lost any weight!!

Well, I must say that I'm surprised at that mate.

Seeing you on Friday, I thought that you had lost a little.

Weight loss or not, you did look well. The little ones certainly were a joy as well.

Been there done that and don’t give a dam for the future, as long as I can do what I need to do without feeling ill while doing it I see no need to take extra exercise.

I too when I moved to Sawley had to change my doctors or as its called these day health centre, had the mandatory health check, blood pressure ok, urine sample ok, weight a little heavy for my age and height, she said according to her health chart I fell into the obese category, as soon as I disrobed and dropped to one knee and did what Conan the barbarian did she came over all faint, needless to say I passed with flying colours.

For health and safety reasons and so as not to spoil ones breakfast I won’t be posting pictures of myself when I was in training but if any lady or come to that gentleman would like to see them then just drop me a PM and I will sort them out for one.

Bip.

I went for one of those 'volunteer' health checks that they use to get an example of how the country is thingies.......Got a piece of paper now that says 'I'm overweight, Unfit but with great ankles' Ho hum.

Well I swim twicw a week dance twice a week go the gym 3 times a week walk the dogs 4 times a week have gymnastics in the bedroom x number of times a week and I am still not fit or losing weight according to ones GP. As you say what is one supposed to do

It is the amount and content of food we eat as "normal", whilst not saying anybody should starve you don't get many overwieght people in poor countries, what we see as "normal" whether it be sunday lunches, beefburger and chips, or dining out just does not happen and didn't use to in this country, Food is now not seen as something to keep us alive but as a pleasure to be indulged, that plus fact no one (over generalised) does any proper manual work examples? unloading of lorries on a building site, 1960,s all done by hand, now forklifts, coal mining, stoking, farming etc

a quick 1 hr at the gym twice a week or swimming can't comapare with an 8 hour day of regular physical work, not saying such a good/bad thing but that's my thoughts

While at skool I hated any exercise that involved running.

I would always come last on a cross-country run, fifty yards and I was knackered.

The PE teacher at the time must have been a sadist, he knew very well I would be coming in last but he still insisted on sending me out there with the rest of the boys.

I say sadist because I reckon he got some sort of a kick out of kicking my arse when I got back, slipper was the preferred punishment by him, I only wish I knew his name, wouldn’t mind paying him a visit.

As I have said before I loved playing tennis but never got the chance to play it at skool, one feels I wasn’t in the right class to be given that privilege.

Cricket was the order of the day and Rugby too.

At home I would roller skate in the close I lived in, bike too and trolly ride down the hills about Bilborough estate.

Cycling was my favourite way of keeping fit, I had a Raleigh bike, I used my mums that had a sprung seat before I had my own bike, I always wished for a fixed gear bike, I solved that by rapping string around the back gear cog.

To this day I still can’t run to save me life I even don’t like walking fast, I’m a plodder you see.

You put me on a bike and I will cycle all day, take me off it and say run I couldn’t.

Bip.

Ayup Ashley,

Food and drink intake per day consists of, first thing, 1/2 cup of coffee, no more for the rest of the day,break time, a few scoops of the John West tuna and pasta salad, swig of Lucozade, lunch, few more scoops of John West and another swig of Lucozade, dinner when I get home, baked potato with beans and coleslaw, that's it. I agree about hard work though, when I was a quarry fitter (all my life) I was like a racing snake now stuck behind a desk and in front of computer, like an old slug, still off now to get a few more miles under me belt on me bike, get the trike out at the weekend, looking forward to that

Rog

One can eat not enough food to lose wait, ones body shuts down and goes into starvation mode thinking “if this is it I better hang onto what fat storage I have.

Having read many weight training book and nutrition books too I would suggest you upped your calorie intake to kick-start your metabolism.

Just a suggestion besides what do I know about nutrition and how best to grow muscle and lose body fat I only had twenty years of practical experience…

Bip.

Thanks for that Bip, it's good to get some support from someone like yourself who has been there and done that, is there any foods to keep away from apart from the obvious sausage and bacon?

Rog

the gym twice a week or swimming can't comapare with an 8 hour day of regular physical work, not saying such a good/bad thing but that's my thoughts

Well I have only just finished a 24hr day job 5 days a week, it was as live in manageress of a guest house 16 rooms which I had all the cleaning cooking and running of, and now do 3days a week, so I would think that constituted as physical work, but I suppose we are all made different. Good job too x

Thanks for that Bip, it's good to get some support from someone like yourself who has been there and done that, is there any foods to keep away from apart from the obvious sausage and bacon?

Rog

Avoid any food stuffs that are loaded with sugar...examaple Milk shakes from the golden arches.....any confectionary but one could try eating several large Mars bars just to kick start your metabolism, don’t make a habit of it thou…..keep off the beer, but if one does like a drink like myself switch to Cider, I did and it worked for me, even thou my late wife said that drinking cider made me argumentative and obnoxious, so what’s new there then?, I now drink when at the Rolls Royce leisure club Gaymers Pear cider its yummy, so far I’ve had no complaints about my manner from Tich.

Drink and to put on cereal and in hot drinks semi skimmed milk.

Cooked or raw porridge oats is a good slow release energy food so is bananas.

I use to make a wicked milk shake made from brown banana’s and powdered skimmed milk, a really good healthy drink after a heavy training session, you could put a table spoon full of raw oats in with said milk shake just to give it that extra body.

Pasta and boiled rice are another slow release energy food, potatoes are ok as long as one don’t have creamed….chips once a week as a treat is ok.

If one feels one can’t do without fried sausages and fried bacon grill them but again don’t have them regular make them a treat that also goes for fried eggs too.

Another of may wicked shakes was to use the whites of six eggs blended in a blender with a pot of low fat yoghurt and dried skimmed milk topped up with tap water.

Honey is good for when one feels low on energy just before a training session or bike ride it give one that kick start we all need sometimes.

Basically its just common sense really, if the food looks good it’s more likely it will do you no good.

Hope that helps..

Bip.

I am doing most of what you say Bip apart from the porridge stuff but got the memsahib to pick some up from the Tesco this week so that will be in my eating regime for next week,

Fynger, I gave up the Ramapril and Statins after our HR dept accused me of being a sciver last year when I was signed off because of fear of heart attack or stroke (not bad eh? not a day off sick in thirty years,)started taking the Folic acid for the cholestorol though

Rog

Hi fynger. Yes hubby has just been put on the tablets due to finding out he has angina. He has to have a quick spray before we set out on the bikes! We dont go that far tho,just down thru burton joyce and along by the trent and back thru stoke bardolph. I have just found out one reason why i can never lose much weight,apparently after just having a blood test the doc found out that my thyroid is under active so hopefully if he gives me some pills i might be able to shift some. I used to go to slimmimg world and it took me 7 months to lose 7 pound! The lady i work for started 6 weeks ago and has lost a stone already!

Hi.

I hope you don’t mind me ‘bumping’ this thread, and sorry, I’ve been absent from this forum for a while.

Anyway, as a kid back in the late sixties and early seventies, and still living in Nottingham, I would go off on my bike and be out all day. I can’t remember too much about where I’d go. I had an uncle and aunt living in Nuthall at the time and I’d go over to see them before heading off to find the Hucknall aerodrome that I could see from our house in Bestwood Park.

Back in 1983 I got into running thanks to a ‘fun run’ I signed up to do for charity. I needed to lose weight and this forced me to change my diet and get some exercise.

Managed to keep up the running for better than 20 years. Done 10km’s to marathons.

But thanks to my job I found it hard to fit any sort of training in and as I got older it got harder to do the mileage. I’ve given up trying now though I do bike around a not so flat Norfolk instead.

A while back I was persuaded to go to a gym with a workmate. I found the rowing machine much underused and adopted it as my own. I could get a good workout whilst sitting and the joints got a good stretch too. The more I did the better I got and the sessions got longer.

I’ve finally decided to get my own machine and have bought a ‘WaterRower’.

So when it’s dark and blowin’ a hooly (Norfolk speak) I can jump on board and have a session and I watch the telly too!