Well I took your advise Bip and start the day off with a small bowl of porridge (well 09.00hrs) and find I dont need any more to eat until the afternoon break (15.00hrs) then it's just a banana. Then when I get home(18.00hrs) A light meal of fish ,a few new spuds and sprouts or fresh peas for me evening meal I must admit to feeling a bit fitter/healthier so only time will tell if the weight starts to come off,

RWK, nice to hear from you again, I still ride me bike most nights and try to get the recumbent trike out at the weekends so with a combination of Bips advice and the cycling I will either lose some weight or be the fittest fat sod in the grave yard

Rog

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At school I was top in physical education and belonged to the school vaulting club, even in that I was top, but I was hopeless at games and didn't understand netball or hockey. Once I left school I ne

Maybe another way to look at it is that genes will kill you but exercise might fend them off for a bit?   We are all going to die. I think I have already posted about my wife's five sibling

Ben, I bet me and a few other girls on here, would gladly donate a few pounds to your cause. 

Rogersnewtoy004.jpg

RWK, good fun is an understatement, here's a pic of mine from another thread on this site, trouble is with these everyone wants to talk to you about it and you have a permanent grin on your face when you ride it and its difficult to put away at night, you just want to keep riding

Rog

Those recumbents look fun and at the same time dangerous in heavy traffic, are you ever tempted to take a short cut under articulated lorries?

Personally I didn’t mind cycling in traffic, as long as one feels confident on a bike and confident surrounded by traffic I could see no problems.

There are of course the odd car/van drivers who are idiots and go out of their way to force one into difficult situations but I put that down to them never ever riding a bike and experiencing the joys of the chase and the fumes.

What annoys me and I bet every car/van/lorry driver is those cyclists that don’t obey the highway code by going through red lights and using pedestrian light controlled crossings to cross the road and now I’ve heard the powers to be are changing the rules regarding cyclist riding on the pavement giving the cyclist charabanc to knock down the old and the young and come to that me, if I see one of those idiots speeding at me on the pavement my arm will be raised for a clothesline.

As I have said before I rode a bike for about fifteen years to and frow from work, I gave my bike away to the son of the woman I had that eight-month relationship with, the bike hadn’t been used for some years and her son needed another bike, I tidied it up to make it road worthy again gave it to him and before I knew it we split up, the next time I see him he was riding a new bike, not mine, asked him where was the bike I gave him and he ignored me and rode off….I don’t regret giving him the bike but what I do regret is getting involved with such a cold and calculating woman.

Thanks for listening….

Bip.

RWK, Bip,

I feel more safe on the recumbent than on a diamond frame bike, first of all there is a 6 foot long Hi Vis flag on the back so motorists can see you from way off, the trike is 31 inches wide and as you can see quite low to the ground so motorists whether cars or lorries tend to give you a much wider birth, ie: they usually cross the center line of the road to overtake you, sitting in the recumbent you don't have to concentrate on balancing the thing as it has 3 wheels, I ride around these unlit lanes at night and with my lights on and hi vis top I have never had a problem with any motor vehicles, they are quick as well because all your power goes to the back wheel instead of some of it going to lift you out of the saddle as on a diamond frame bike, comfort wise, it's like sitting in a deck chair with your feet up

Rog

Just one more thing, and I hope you don’t mind me asking…………………….

How much?

I recon on as a minimum a grand but that’s at least what I’d expect to pay...

I ask cos’ you’ve got me interested now though I do have a guy on another forum I use that’s been eulogising about said bike for a while now.

I think it’s seeing the picture of your bike. It looks a belter!!

I have taken in everything you have said but i still feel that going down Western Boulevard in the rush hour could be dodgy.

Some years ago i use to see a woman on a bike with what looked like a carriage for two children being towed behind, she too had flags everywhere but despite that I still thought that must be dangerous for her and the children, I know I wouldn't like to have put my two offspring in such danger, by the way it also looked very flimsy.

Bip.

RWK, tap "Trice Q" (inspired cycle engineering. ICE) in the search engine and check out their web site for all the info, made in England,(Falmouth) mine should have been about £1600 but with the mudguards, head rest, rear rack, two mirrors,chain ring guard and extra light bracket it came to £1900, I know maybe a bit pricey but after I packed in smoking thats what I brought with the money I saved.

Bip, not flimsy at all, 4130 cromoly main tube (the blue bit) and the rest is 7000 series aircraft grade alloy, very strong the max weight it can carry is a 18st rider or lighter rider and more luggage capacity

Rog

very strong the max weight it can carry is a 18st rider or lighter rider and more luggage capacity

No good for Tich then.....rotfl.gif

Ouch... I can feel the hand round me tab now :laugh:

RWK, tap "Trice Q" (inspired cycle engineering. ICE) in the search engine and check out their web site for all the info, made in England,(Falmouth) mine should have been about £1600 but with the mudguards, head rest, rear rack, two mirrors,chain ring guard and extra light bracket it came to £1900, I know maybe a bit pricey but after I packed in smoking thats what I brought with the money I saved.

Bip, not flimsy at all, 4130 cromoly main tube (the blue bit) and the rest is 7000 series aircraft grade alloy, very strong the max weight it can carry is a 18st rider or lighter rider and more luggage capacity

Rog

Thanks for that. My nearest dealer is Cambridge. The cost is around what I figured it would be. What type of seat do you use?

It is the amount and content of food we eat as "normal", whilst not saying anybody should starve you don't get many overwieght ("I before E, except after C) people in poor countries

Well I've seen this tread keep popping up , and its the 1st time I've read it , Ashleys spot on , i do not remember seeing any obese or big boned Ethiopians on film back in the band aid years ? Was they fit or not i do not know ?

At 15 i was 10 stone 10 and @ 44 I'm still 10 stone 10 , i do work shifts if I'm on afternoons the 1st and only time i eat is about 5pm , on mornings i will have cereal or a bit of toast and dinner must be served before 6pm i don't eat after 6 , apart from the odd Saturday night.

I've just measured my dinner plates they are 8 inches across , there's no chocolate / crisps / biscuits in my home or on Mrs Reds shopping list , if you try and eat less you will get used to eating less ........... i think ...... my poor kids !

RWK, I have a mesh seat, very similar feel to a deck chair, the hard shell seats are just that "hard" but because of their rigidness more power goes to the back wheel hence a faster ride, from what I've heard your back tends to sweat more because of lack of airflow, the mesh seat is completely adjustable to your own shape using the fine tune straps at the back, I got my trike from Cambridge "D-Tek" Kevin the blokes name is and he will talk you through every thing, really nice chap. If you are serious about getting one you would be better off trying them out first to see if you like them, If you want you can try mine out, just nip over to Lincolnshire and we'll have an hours ride if you like.

Radfordred. Thanks for the advise, I will knock the biscuits in the head then, although I only have a couple at lunchtime

Rog

RWK, I have a mesh seat, very similar feel to a deck chair, the hard shell seats are just that "hard" but because of their rigidness more power goes to the back wheel hence a faster ride, from what I've heard your back tends to sweat more because of lack of airflow, the mesh seat is completely adjustable to your own shape using the fine tune straps at the back, I got my trike from Cambridge "D-Tek" Kevin the blokes name is and he will talk you through every thing, really nice chap. If you are serious about getting one you would be better off trying them out first to see if you like them, If you want you can try mine out, just nip over to Lincolnshire and we'll have an hours ride if you like.

Radfordred. Thanks for the advise, I will knock the biscuits in the head then, although I only have a couple at lunchtime

Rog

Thanks for the offer of a go on your bike Pfit. I keep that in mind.

Along with a bit of biking I am in to rowing and tomorrow (Friday) I get my new rowing machine delivered. I've found it very good for keeping my knees working as it helps the quads and hams stretch. Good for the back and sholder muscles too. I hope to shift some weight over the next few months and with luck return to running again.

I've been looking at the ice.hpv website and all the video clips supplied by the owners. It's an excellent site.

Most trike owners seem to have gone for the smaller rear wheel. Did you try a 20?

So yours is the Trice Q26 then? It's the add-on bits that seem to push the prise up so much.

Anyway as for getting a Trike. Definitely got me thinking, but it's all down to money at the moment and hanging on to what I have just in case the worst happens and my job goes all 'pear shaped'.

I'm pretty spontaneous when I do things so if I were to get one I'd most likely just do it. We'll see how things go.

RWK, as you know a bigger wheel will ride the bumps better, thats why I think they fitted the 20 inch wheel trike with suspension, the 26 inch wheel looks more sporty as well, there are other company's making trikes and some are cheaper than ICE but you get better quality components and build with the ICE machines imo. you don't need all the add ons either, they can be purchased later, mudguards, head rest, rear carrier etc

Rog

• 3 months later...

Still trying to lose weight through cycling but it don't seem to be happening. anyway next Sunday 28th there is a Trike ride around Rutland water, not very often you see a recumbent trike but next weeks effort should produce at least 15, should be quite a spectacle 25 miles with no doubt the obligatory drinks stops at various inns on the way, looking forward to the ride and hopefully get some pics to post

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Rutlandtrikeride008.jpg

You never see a trike then 20 turn up at once, this picture taken at our lunch stop at the Horse and Jockey in Manton Rutland last Sunday, great weather good cycling and great company of like minded folk and some of them were from Nottingham (result)even managed to get my trike airborn on some of the downhill section,

Rog

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...