Embankment and Memorial Gardens

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had stroll down the embankment tonight @ dusk     

I, am sorry that I got the wrong end of the stick it followed a sleepless night after posting and I was upset that it had been removed thank you for your kind thoughts and life will go on.....

The early days of the memorial gardens, when everyone wore a hat.

I spent hours on the swings next to the paddling pool.

I'd plan out what I was going to do in the future as I swung back and forth.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to achieve any of my set goals - like becoming a millionaire, a fighter pilot flying hurricanes, marrying Sophia Loren, or becoming a lion tamer... never mind.

TTFN

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

TGC, was indeed the Rock Gardens, we used to go there to meet girls from Mundella, in the 'arches', for a snog & a fag, we were Becket Boys........

good job us TB boys didn't catch you lol... we would have had yer fags and yr birds,,,, hahahah.... just joking

• Upvote 1

We always thought all you TB boys were 'manacled' at lunchtimes, just you bit anyone & gave 'em rabies!!...............................only jokin' kickme

When I lived on Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane, we used to play football on Freeth Street. There were kids of all ages and grown-ups making up the two sides. The coats went down for the goals and then the game started. Any rules went out of the window after the first tackle and it became a game of all out war. If you kept the ball longer than two seconds you'd be limping for the next few days. If the ball went over one of the coats then there'd be an argument for the next ten minutes about whether it was a goal or not. The only time the game stopped was when a car came by but that wasn't very often in those days. Despite the cuts, bruises and fights everybody would be there the following teatime to pick the sides and resume battle. 'Football, The Beautiful Game', not on Freeth Street it wasn't...haha.

• Upvote 1

We used to play footy matches using the doorway of J W Lyons (Horniman's) warehouse distribution place on Cromwell Street opposite the railway bridge as the goal.

Well I say play... I was used as the one to fetch the ball back when it went up onto the bridge staunchions, cause I was little enough to climb up and in to get it back.

Huh!

TTFN

TGC, was indeed the Rock Gardens, we used to go there to meet girls from Mundella, in the 'arches', for a snog & a fag, we were Becket Boys........

Oh those Mundella girls!! I learned all sorts after school in the Rock Gardens and before going home to do my homework. Back at the Becket we were encouraged not to recognise the emerging urges of adolescence. I seem to remember getting severe bollockings for "losing" my school cap (to be worn at all times) one of the Mundella girls I was experimenting with decided it was a trophy and took it. Still I seem to have lost a few things at that age.

I think in the UK "fags" were younger boys that did as they were asked by older boys attending public schools - the kind of culture embraced by our current parliamentary cabinet members. Yanks use the term "fags" for homosexuals. Funny old world.

The cigarettes (fags) were great; everyone knew someone who had family members working at Players so cheap if not free fags were available and if you ran out then loads of small shops would split open packets and sell single fags kept in jar.

• Upvote 1

The football games i recall were the ones near the cricket pavilllion when it seemed every kid in the meadows was on one side or another ability didnt matter

The last game I took part of there went (as I recall):

After twenty minutes I had my first touch of the football - smack in the mush - woke up in the changing room, someone took me to hospital (Was it you?), and while waiting to be seen, I fell off the trolley and broke me wrist.

I decided against taking part in these games again.

Tsk!

• Upvote 1

I remember that bloke who painted on paper plates i remember him painting in the park near welbeck school from what i can remember he was quite good .TGC John Cooksey was my neibour on willersley st emailed a couple of weeks ago unfortunately he had just lost his younger brother Jimmy we spent a lot of time together when we were kids .Another meadows kid gone RIP jimmy.

Really sorry to hear that about Jimmy Mr C.

Can you recall a Bob Sockett (at Trent Bridge school 1959-1961)? He was a real mate of mine - went in hospital for an operation, and didn't make it through. I still think about Bob often. A good youth he was, a little more refined than the rest of us.

He lived on Woodborough Road near the Chase - never did find out why he mad e such a long journey to get to and from the school.

TTFN

It saddens me tgc each time i hear one of us has gone like to think they made the best of this sometimes crappy world .Actually most i have heard about have gone on from their humble beginings to achieve in all different ways lad i was at school with lost his life in a fire rescuing children god bless him that is the ultimate sacrifice .I dont recall your friend but he would have been 5 years older than me i will ask my oldest brother if he can remember him sorry your bus pass wont take you to australia but at least you have one the country are not giving my age group one and are making me work another year seems most people think its good i dont perhaps if their pension is stopped for a year they will know how i feel ,Anyway i am reallly sorry to hear about your friend but you should concentrate on yourself and get them nurses to sort you out perhaps when you are up and running around you could take one with you to the fogeys ball then take her for pensioner discounted chips followed by a free bus pass ride home

• Upvote 1

TGC

I do remember Bob Sockett, albeit did not know him really well.I started at TB in September 1959.

The Rock gardens are unchanged-just the same as they were all those years ago. Fountains still on but Queen Victoria has had no access to the statue for years and is rather a mess.

Happy memories !

Kind regards,

Tony

• Upvote 2

Goldfish were there lasy year. Drinking fountains no. The gardens were generally a little unkept but basically just the same. The area where the ladies and Gents were still there) but all boarded up with no entry. There were quite a few people pottering about.

I always have a look at the war memorial. As a lad I always went to the remembrance services there after church at St Faiths.

Kind regards

Tony

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As a Mundellan its great to read about the memo gardens the pool and other great things - wot no mention of the suspension bridge??? I remember crossing it and some Beckett boys shaking it for a laugh.....haven't been back in years nice to recall it all. I used to get into all sorts of trouble for wading in the pool at lunch time and then going back to Mundella a bit grubby and wet....

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

What Zab, Jonesy and Stan have to say about the Embankment Gardens rather worries me - in 2010 I scattered my mother's ashes in one of the rose gardens. She grew up in the Meadows - Healey Street.

• 3 months later...

I,am sorry my thread was removed from this site,I.am sure whoever did this thought they were doing the right thing.

I feel it was a measured piece which just told the facts, unpleasant no doubt but just bore witness to another time.

Sometimes you have to face demons and I have always been a person willing to tilt at windmills...

I find myself unable to contribute anymore to this site.

Hasn't it just been moved somewhere else? I dare say someone will tell us... Please don't stop using the forum, Trev

Just checked and it's in the Trent Bridge Schools bit