Embankment and Memorial Gardens

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had stroll down the embankment tonight @ dusk     

I, am sorry that I got the wrong end of the stick it followed a sleepless night after posting and I was upset that it had been removed thank you for your kind thoughts and life will go on.....

The early days of the memorial gardens, when everyone wore a hat.

I can remember the steel framed seats with wooden slats on being put out along the concrete steps in the half round area in front of the bandstand,many years ago maybe early to mid 60's I remember fishing down the embankment and hearing pop music coming from the area,quite a few pop groups were playing that day but can't remember who they were,can anyone help on that,about 1964-1966

Rog

I went by this afternoon, half a dozen police vehicles were still there. I don't know the extent of the damage but the frontage looked ok. I've lost count of the number of times I've sat there enjoying all sorts of music over the years, both as a kid and with my own kids. One of the earliest I can remember was a Caribbean steel band, about 1965.

There's a bit about it's history here...

http://www.fove.co.uk/Bandstand.html

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Just read all the comments on Nottingham Memorial which were posted from2009 to 2016.

Master and I decided to go a walk the other day caught a tram to the bottom of Wilford Road, and walked from their to Trent Bridge.

Well! when master and myself were young free and single this area was where we used to do our courting (old fashioned  word I know)

You would not be able to sit/lay on the grass as it is full of  Canadian goose mess, the grass wants a good cut, plus litter needs to be picked up, but the most disappointing thing was "NO GOLDFISH!!!! in the pond of the Memorial gardens, also the fountains were not working, and  lots of weeds in the plants, the pond had algae in some places but "NO GOLDFISH!!!!! were oh were have they gone?

Nottingham our city!!!!  seems to be going to pot.

Please if any N/N member knows where the "Goldfish" are let me know

Mary,the powers that be have put some sort of chemical in the water to help stem the weed problem and that would kill off the fish(not saying the fish weren't moved before the chemical was added),there are signs around the ponds to that effect(No paddling,Don't allow pets to drink the water,etc),the fountains were working the other week when I was over there though,I put some pictures on this site of them,I agree with you that the place has deteriated since my younger days as well,obviously not much respect for the memories of the fallen these days which was the original intention of the gardens when they were first set up

Rog

• Upvote 1

I see they're called the "Rock Gardens Trent side",I have always known them as "The Memorial Gardens,Trent Embankment" I wonder if there was a reason for the earlier name

Rog

Thanks for the infro about the goldfish plantfit. I  just hope some one is looking after them, but it's so sad to see these gardens and pond looking in a way that no body cares any more. but this seems to be the norm now, message to planners please, please do not destroy  any more of our city.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/05/2017 at 6:55 AM, mary1947 said:

Please if any N/N member knows where the "Goldfish" are let me know

Thought the goldfish would have recovered by now. If not sorry, mea culpa.

Would have been in the early fifties, when your truly and others suitably armed with penny bangers, matches, lumps of plasticine and empty jam jars would descend on the goldfish ponds. We would mould the plasticine around the bottom of a banger as a weight, light the fuse paper and when it was fizzing away drop it in the pond. The resulting explosion would stun the fish, enabling us to "rescue" a few for our jam jars.

Made a tidy profit selling the now recovered goldfish to other kids at threpence a time, which covered the costs of the bangers. Was able to buy lots more fireworks this way than by hawking a "penny for the guy" barra around the streets.

Alison

NBL,the gardens seemed to be remarkably clean, there was some crap in the bottom of the pond though (still no fish) and the little seating areas under the main building were locked up but it was a nice walk down memory lane (sort of) I don't think we'll ever see the gardens as they were in the 50's/60's again,sign of the times I suppose

Rog

They reckon that the Bus depot was built almost exactly on what was an early Forest football ground...........

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for that RR, I still visit the gardens and always enjoy my walks around there,brings back loads of memories of when I was a kid living round the corner and visiting the place with my grandparents

Rog

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

The Embankment is a special place i think for most Notts folk..

Memories abound...

Thurs afternoons taking a date for a 'Row' down the river....

Fishing for the first time with a 'Rod' with my Uncle Jack''

Walking with a girl...as she sang (loudly) '''Don't eat the Daisies''' while holding my hand..in 1960......she worked in ''Dolcis'' Long Row...

Playing Football for Notts Corinthians'' in the Notts Thursday league..against 'Forest B team...which contained many youngsters who went on to be 'Stars'' for them......

When i lived in Peterborough i still had a lot of work around Nottingham...and used to set off early and make my first stop on the Embankment near the 'Toll Bridge'' and have a Coffee at the little 'Stall'' that used to be there...often seeing the Forest players training there with the Coach Jimmy Gordon....even saw Cloughie there one morning with his Dog...

I could go on about the 'Embankment'' one of the nicest places in Nottingham.................

• Like 1

This is what the Girl from 'Dolcis' was singing as we walked along the 'Sunny Embankment' very loudly but very well.........as she swung my hand.........never forget it....and what she was wearing...Flat shoes and swirling skirt.........a moment in time......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

When i lived in Peterborough i still had a lot of work around Nottingham...and used to set off early and make my first stop on the Embankment near the 'Toll Bridge'' and have a Coffee at the little 'Stall'' that used to be there...

The old toll house is still there and it's still a cafe. You could go and re-live your past !

I too have fond memories of the embankment. My earliest being, as a nipper about 11/12 going there with my pals and swimming near the pleasure boats and rowing skiffs, leaving our clothes on the top step. We used to walk from Denman street to get there. A long way for little legs. It used to be a regular thing and we ventured further down towards the toll bridge. On one occasion we left our clothes under an arch of the railway bridge, to keep the snow off them. Have swum when the river was in flood once, went in from the embankment and finished up on the other side what seemed miles downstream.

My last time on the embankment was in 1964 (November) that was when I was taught to drive, using a double decker bus, (but I've told that afore).

Anyone remember the rowing boats on the embankment by the bridge. One acquaintance from those times with the rowing boats was a Neil Gamble. He had a son who was injured in a bus accident. I met him in Teignmouth in Devon where he owned an ex-lifeboat which he used for fishing and diving trips. 

He must have lived somewhere near to where he worked. Perhaps the Meadows or London Road area.