Embankment and Memorial Gardens

I took my daughter for a walk and a bit of a picture taking trip down Trent Embankment (from the toll bridge to Trent Bridge)I was shocked to see the state of the Memorial Gardens, and the bandstand area next to the gardens... Maybe its because its Autumn, or maybe they've just got very neglected I dont know... walking past one gate I thought the gardens were closed, a huge padlock of the gate, and damaged railings didnt help make me think they were open... but we carried on walking to the next gate, yes, we could get in... but I wish we didnt go in. There was industrial fencing around the statue of Queen Victoria, there was the same fencing around the steps near the entrance, the fountains where there were fish had been drained, and no longer had fountains... it was a sorry sight to see. It was a favourite picnic spot for us when we were children...

I really hope they're doing the gardens up, and not letting them fall into a state of disrepair.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had stroll down the embankment tonight @ dusk     

I, am sorry that I got the wrong end of the stick it followed a sleepless night after posting and I was upset that it had been removed thank you for your kind thoughts and life will go on.....

The early days of the memorial gardens, when everyone wore a hat.

I suspect they're working on it, last time I was there (a couple of months ago) the fountains were definitely working and I don't think Victoria was fenced off; having said that, it does need money spending on it - especially the fenced off area at the back of the memorial.

Its a shame its got into that state. Its a peaceful haven to just go and sit. Trouble is, if it gets too run down, people wont want to sit in there, and then it becomes even more run down, and a target for the local hoody-brigade to hang out.

Its a shame its got into that state. Its a peaceful haven to just go and sit. Trouble is, if it gets too run down, people wont want to sit in there, and then it becomes even more run down, and a target for the local hoody-brigade to hang out.

Ahhh.... memories!

At school nearby, I remember the Memorial Gardens were ALWAYS in pristine condition. Lawns beautifully manicured,area clean and swept. .Fine trees and plants. No rubbish under the multiple archways.. paint not hanging off the woodwork. It was a favourite meeting place at lunnchtime and after school for young romance to blossom !

I visited there in 2005 with some school chums,and I could not believe what had happened to this proud memorial to those who had given their all for the City and Country.

I remember one year in particular when the ponds were frozen when the skating club took to the pond .Boy how their backsides were warmed by the headmaster`s cane.(wonder what ever happened to John Vickers and co).Then the multiple snowball fights with Trentbridge on the way back. The amazing peace and tranquility there at other times.

Sad to here the way it is now.Hope it is restored if only to honour the memory of the fallen,but what do today`s generation care?

Ah well back to the holidays.

Rob I have an amazing clip of a train and a market in Bang kok,but do not know if you would be interested?If you let me have an email ad. will forward it to you.

Thought I might look further into the `Memorial Gardens subiect. What a clever chap Jesse Boot was! From his summer house on the south side of the Trent, the Gardens were directly across the river,and then a totally uninterupted view of open land right across to the University,almost in line,miles of open space,so purchasing the 36 acres directly opposite his house ensured his view was not spoiled!

From `picture the past'

This view shows the rock gardens and lily pond taken from the memorial and looking west. University Park and the Trent building can be seen to the left of the smoking chimney. In 1920 Jesse Boot purchased, and presented to the City, 36 acres of open land that lay along the northern side of the Victoria Embankment alongside the River Trent, opposite Plaisaunce (Jesse Boot's summer house which was demolished in 1961). The 'New Park' was laid out with grass and trees, and provided a barrier against flooding as well as a pleasant walkway alongside the river. As part of the development an imposing war memorial gateway was built, with the aid of funds from Jesse Boot. The gardens were opened on 11 November 1927.

This is how it can be done, just up the road from my house:-

braintree029-1.jpg

braintree030.jpg

braintree031.jpg

Not a piece of litter or a trace of grafitti, no hoodies, no vandalism, why, because when Mr Courtauld presented the gardens to the public in 1888, he had the foresight to provide a lovely cottage for the park keeper within the site, who rigidly makes sure that the rules are adhered to. The thatched Victorian bandstand is also used for free concerts of varying types of music every other weekend during the summer, encouraging people to come along and appreciate the gardens.

When my pal from Grantham came down the other week, I took him for a stroll through there and couldn't get him out, he thought it was a fantastic place.

Yes Pete it looks very nice and quite right you should be proud of it just like we were proud of our memorial (rock) gardens just around the corner from where I grew up, but now with so many colonials and non indigenous peoples living in the area who gives a damn? shame really because I used to stand at those gates with my grandfather on remembrance day to remember those who gave their lives for us and for him to remember his lost friends from the trenches

Rog

That top one is how I remember our gardens (tho not on a hill like that) I suppose thats why I think its awful how it seems to have gone "downhill" so much. The bandstand area next door doesnt look any better, in fact the fence and gates look like someone has tried to force them apart...

Maybe I have an "idealised" picture in my head of what I remember, as it was a place I used to enjoy going, both with my parents/grandparents, and also taking my eldest son when he was small.

Just for the sake of completion,- next to the bandstand was an icecream kiosk which sold the most superb ice-cream (made on Robin Hood st. by Capocis(dunno how it was spelt).My mate John Hardy`s mum worked there so needless to say the helpings were rather large!

Adjacent to this was the piddling pool(!) which was always spotless(AND full of water). Happy hours were spent there then across the road to fish in the Trent.

The really big deal was the w/e trip on the motor launch to Colwyck(Colic!) pleasure park for the swings and roundabouts.

-and the really really big deal was to be taken out on the rowing boats at Trent Bridge.

None of those filthy Canada Geese just masses(And I do mean lots) of swans and ducks.(where are they now?) Never realised at the time I would be lucky enough to go to school there at Mundella(as you will have noted I still have not mastered Englih grammar,which I think is due to slight dyslexia(although I used to have a photographic memory)

• Upvote 1

Damn... on that weekend walk I didnt get the ice cream place on photo :( I did get the paddling pool (tho again that looks a little neglected, as does the park next to it)

The geese have gone, and now theres a notice telling walkers/river users not to feed the geese/swans/ducks, so all the bird mess will hopefully be a thing of the past :)

Oh, I'd forgotten about the rowing boats! Thanks for reminding me :)

Whilst talking of piddling pools , can any body remember there ever being water in the one at Highfields!! We went on numerous outings there as kids (The Lido included) and I never remember having a paddle , as it was always empty. (Mind you I am only going back 40 odd years!!)

I remember paddling in said pool and swimming in said Lido, these days the only time the paddling pool has water in it is when it's been raining, am i right in thinking the paddling pool was fed by the Tottle brooke?

Bip.

Used to go paddling in that pool as a kid....also went to the Lido loadsa times....used to have competitions who could bring up the largest paint flake off the bottom....Also used to climb over the Lido gates at night and get in the pool that way.

Oh THATS the paddling pool... we went a few times when we were younger, my mum was told there was a paddling pool at highfields (is that the name for it) and we never found it... well we never found it with water in. We usually ended up on the park and on the boating lake instead.

I remember once being stuck on the lake in a thunderstorm, and a seperate occasion, being soaking wet because my cousin had only just learned how to row (and he still didnt know how to do it properly - hence me being wet)

Sorry chaps, thats from Geograph.org and if you looked at the Lenton Times link, thats where the headwall picture came from, we must have been reading it at the same time.

I don't reckon that the paddling pool has been properly looked after for nearly 50 years, I'm surprised it's still there. Do they still have rowing boats on the Lake, we used to go for a swim in the Lido and sometimes go for a row afterwards.

I remember early 60s, there used to be a guy who sat under the arches facing the pond.

He would paint water color views of the area on to paper plates.

• 4 years later...

We Trent Bridge Secondary Modern Boys were banned from what I think we then called 'The Rock Gardens?'

I recall a lad called John Cooksey (son of the cobbler's) pulling of the wings of bees one day before we were banned - you should have seen the size of the stink he got on his thumb!

Funny how you recall some things easier than others innit?

TTFN

TGC, was indeed the Rock Gardens, we used to go there to meet girls from Mundella, in the 'arches', for a snog & a fag, we were Becket Boys........

• Upvote 1

I remember that bloke who painted on paper plates i remember him painting in the park near welbeck school from what i can remember he was quite good .TGC John Cooksey was my neibour on willersley st emailed a couple of weeks ago unfortunately he had just lost his younger brother Jimmy we spent a lot of time together when we were kids .Another meadows kid gone RIP jimmy.

• Upvote 1