jonesy

Embankment and Memorial Gardens

Thanks for that RR, I still visit the gardens and always enjoy my walks around there,brings back loads of memories of when I was a kid living round the corner and visiting the place with my grandparents

Rog

• Like 1

Brilliant and yes 100 years..like the RAF as well.

Did the damage to the enbankment get repaired?. I visit Waverley st.Cemetery when in Nottm.

I intend to visit Ruddington and see the Rourkes Drift graves..costs nothing to give 5 minutes to rememember them.

• Like 1

Speaking of Rourkes Drift Ian, I've mentioned before I live about two miles away from Gonville-Bromheads ancestral home in Thurlby, the family church of St Germains has a stained glass window dedicated to the Rourkes Drift Lt,He also went to school in Newark on Trent

Rog

• Like 1

I did'nt know that Rog..any photo of the window? There are some Albert Ball houses that are worth looking at too ...in Lenton.

I'll see what pictures I have Ian,in the meantime here's a picture I took a few years ago just inside the gate to Cossall churchyard, dedicated to John Shaw and Richard Waplington of the Life Guards who fell at Waterloo and Thomas Wheatley of the Light Dragoon Guards who is buried at Cossall,you might have to enlarge the photo to read the inscriptions

Notts_day_out_007.jpg

Rog

ps,Sorry it's a bit off topic but interesting all the same

• Like 1

Headstone of one of Lt Bromheads descendants in Thurlby church yard

Sept_23_trike_ride_(7).jpg

I'm sure I've got a pic of the window,if not I'll pop down this week and get a photo

Rog

• Like 1

Judging by some of the comments posted here the present War Memorial is lacking in maintenance so build another one in the same grounds?

Incidentaly does anyone know when the balustrade & steps on the river bank were removed and what happened to them?

9695_700_W_memorial2.jpgpost image