House Clearance

Have just lost my Dad this weekend and am in the throws of clearing his house out. Have got rid of all the small stuff, bric a brac etc but now need to get rid of the furniture. Have had a quote of £400 but am not prepared to pay that, anyone know of anyone who will clear everything at a reasonable price please? Don,t mind paying the going rate but do not want to be ripped off.

Sorry to hear about your dad, it must be a very emotional thing sorting out his stuff, I dread the day when my mother finally passes on, she still lives in the same house that I was born in and much of the stuff in there has memories.

Has any of the furniture got any value or is it fairly modern stuff, if a charity won't take it, I was thinking that it might be considerably cheaper to hire a van and take it to the reclaim centre. If your local place is anything like ours, everything thats reasonable tends to be put to one side and the local council tends to sort it and distribute it to whoever needs it.

Wheres the house?

Perhaps a cheap box van rental, and a few of us Nottstalgians?

Would you be allowed to take anything to the tip in a van though, I know theres major restrictions on dumping at the tip sites these days, with permits being needed for trailers and industrial (read ANY vans). Sadly many charities wont take furniture such as sofas without the safety marks, but you may be able to get their interest in wardrobes etc.

Yes ANY van needs a permit, same for car+trailer, theres a site called Nottingham freecycle where you could advertise a sort of open day, collect what you want, once you've took what you're keeping, and no doubt if on benefits or a black lesbian unmarried mother you'll get the lot done FOC by the council

To all the above nice people! Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I have actually got rid of everything today (Wednesday) I thoroughly recommend a firm from Chilwell called HCLR (0796 8824151). He took absolutely everything and was promt and courteous.

Us ex-Chilwell folk are like that......................I was going to suggest bringing any wood around here for disposal on me bon fire pire....

Bip.

Whatever their faults, Braintree District Council allow trailers on to their landfill site and despite the overhead gauge, you are allowed to park box vans next to the site and unload them, only a few feet away from the containers as well, and their blokes are so helpfull that they pile in and help out to shift the stuff. No permits seem to be neccessary here either, that will all probably change given how Braintree have been involved with the Icelandic Banks and are currently wingeing as to how they are going to survive, who cares, they do nowt for me, my conservation meeting the other night proved that.

Not like the good old days at burnstump, come 4pm on a sunday when the staff went the hordes decended! every bit of dumped rubbish was examined with loads being carted away, you didn't even have to unload your car ,before you stopped the vultures were gathering around! some bargains to be found there alright including I remember some soveriegns and a cheque book c/w with guarantee card! between that place and arnold market we furnished our old home!

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that you need a permit to use our "Recycling centre" with a trailer on your car. Apply on line and you get them in two working days , my 4r53, 3 weeks pass before they turn up and when you get there nobody checks them any way !!!!

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that you need a permit to use our "Recycling centre" with a trailer on your car. Apply on line and you get them in two working days , my 4r53, 3 weeks pass before they turn up and when you get there nobody checks them any way !!!!

The bridgford one checks :( Hubby got turned away with our trailer, cos it was hitched to my car (I'm the one with the tow bar, which apparently means I have to do the tip run... I think not!!! )

Sorry for Hi-jacking your thread Pemberton, and I'm pleased you got it all sorted :)

The bridgford one checks :( Hubby got turned away with our trailer, cos it was hitched to my car (I'm the one with the tow bar, which apparently means I have to do the tip run... I think not!!! )

Sorry for Hi-jacking your thread Pemberton, and I'm pleased you got it all sorted :)

That's a strange one as the permit gives no driver details just the registration number? or did you mean the permit is on his car? in which case they were correct

That's a strange one as the permit gives no driver details just the registration number? or did you mean the permit is on his car? in which case they were correct

We have no permit. This was in the few days after they bought the regulations in. They told him he couldnt use the tip because of the trailer. So he asked about it, told them it was my car, and was told I had to apply for the permit, and I would be the permit holder, so I would be the one who does the tip run... All well and good when they help a woman unload, but when you have stuff in a trailer, its usually too heavey for me to lift :( SO now he ruins the enviroment taking more tip-trips instead of waiting until theres a full load of car and trailer