Car Number Plates

I think personal number plate buyers are pathetic but a few years ago I was impressed when I saw a Ford with a plate that started FEO2, now theres a bloke with sense of humour thought I, he paid for a plate with the chemical brev for rust. Then I found out how new reg plates were devised. DOH!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

My sister has a plate containing WLC, but the prefix does'nt mean a thing so what is the point of XX09 WLC !

Would be better to have WLC 1 or 1 WLC., that is individual !

• Like 1

Years ago there was a Ford Anglia/Prefect (can't remember which) parked outside a council house on Beckhampton Road, Bestwood Park Estate. It had the registration ANG1E. Years later I saw the registration for sale at £250,000.

there used to be a black 4x4 in Ilkeston with 4 kof on it

I used to see 4 KOF on a Skoda in Eastwood. I also used to see 4 COF on a Ford Sierra

My sister has a plate containing WLC, but the prefix does'nt mean a thing so what is the point of XX09 WLC !

Would be better to have WLC 1 or 1 WLC., that is individual !

So would she be Winifred Lorna Catfan?

• Upvote 1

A few years ago, on a return journey from Skegness we pulled in to a roadside cafe for breakfast. There was a large Black Vehicle parked outside and the number plate spelt JETHRO. We had a joke about it and when we went inside, guess who was in there with his entourage.

He made a beeline for us at the counter and never left Chris alone. Joking about his clothes and generally taking the micky. It was a good job Chris was a good sport, because it went on for about half an hour.

I remember reading about a Cortina with the registration OBO 110X and it looked terrible. In the Wollaton area a car had the registration 5 AND but I haven't seen it for years. My WPL annoys me but I can live with it. My wife wants OSH 1T but I know a few people who deserve it.

I remember a few years ago when my wife, myself and my son had good jobs. We all traded our cars in at the same time and bought brand new Hyundai Accents with registration numbers in numerical order. They looked good parked outside the house but really pi$$ed the neighbours off.

On the subject of OSH 1T I always thought I would like either MUS 1C or P1 ANO. Apparently neither were issued at the time in either 1965 or 1997 but have been auctioned off by Swansea in more recent years and sold for an absolute fortune!

• 9 months later...

I remember car number plates originating in Notts usually had either TO, TV or AU at the end of the lettered part. E.G:- KTO, KTV, HAU etc.

Somewhere I have a book showing how to identify a car county origin from it's number plate (of the period) from these last 2 letters, it showed all the counties in the UK.

Must look it up and post on here, anyone else remember this?

• Upvote 1

I have an old AA handbook with all the registrations in. Nottingham City were VO, TO, AU, TV, County NN, RR. I may have missed one or two.