Car Number Plates

I don't mind personalised plates, especially the clever ones that have normal spacings, but there ought to be a clampdown on the scrambled, juggled and downright illegal ones. Some folk just ask for trouble.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

If the rest of us mere mortals can see these illegal plates on cars as we go about our daily business why can't the police?. Surely a quiet warning in the first instance and a requirement for the car to be presented for inspection with a proper plate fitted within seven days would stop a lot of it. Failure to comply or a second offence however would mean much more severe penalty. It's like the pitiful penalty for driving whilst using a mobile phone, not taken seriously as it rarely hurts when the offender gets caught. Perhaps a six month ban and a £1000 fine might concentrate their thoughts. No exceptions under any circumstances, and this is for a first offence. Do it a second time at your peril!

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I am wrong but I have a feeling they could be forced to change it and then go for an MOT to prove it correct.

I do know when I got stopped some years ago just out side Chesterfield they found an oil leak on the van. I got a prohibition notice until it was fixed and re MOT'd.

If the plates were fitted to a car old enough to need an m o t the car would automatically fail the test but a lot of cars they are fitted to are not old enough to need the test, as in the earlier photo taken at JTF. Officially they are classed as show plates, not road plates. They should also carry a manufacturers logo. No legitimate manufacturer would lay themselves open to prosecution so another answer is to only allow registered dealers to make plates.

A previous Peugeot of mine failed it's MoT because of a crack through one of the digits. This was at a main dealer, not a back street operator. Maybe I should have posted this in Rip Off Britain ! 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

This morning on our route  A453  heading towards Nottingham, we followed a white Mercedes sports car for a very short time, with the number plate U BLONDY. Perhaps a Tribute act owner? We never got the chance to peep inside as it zoooooooomed past our little Ford Fiesta. Nice car though!

Ooo I can feel your pain - it's well past time we put a stop these desperate criminal types who flaunt the law in so blatant a manner! Illegal spacing on number plates indeed, whatever next?

Brew

• Upvote 1

It's hardly the crime of the century to have illegal spacing. It does make the owner look a bit of a dork but they're still recognisable by ANPR cameras so we shouldn't get too worked up about it. There are far more serious "crimes" deserving police attention.

• Upvote 2

Only a very tiny percentage of plates would be worth more than the car. Also why should they be made an example of any more than any other expensive commodity? The fact is most private plates are of modest cost and bought by average folk for a bit of fun. It's their choice what they buy with their cash, some might have a private plate, some might choose to drink Hobgoblin, for example. Or do both, like me. ;)

• Upvote 3

It's mainly a bit of fun for the owners. Most personalised plates have no significant meaning other than to the owner, especially if they don't actually spell anything that is instantly recognisable.

I always try and make something out of the plate in front if I'm stuck in traffic. Some are unrepeatable I'm afraid, like the incompetent oaf in front of me once in Beeston. FUB were the letters which I dubbed F****** Useless B***ard. 

The ones I can't abide and the ones such as B16 NOB, or one I saw recently B16 BAG. Also the owners of BMW's that try and incorporate those letters into their plate, and ends up looking ridiculous.

Some folks just can't help broadcasting their stupidity. Other than that, it's harmless fun.

Better folk spend their cash on that rather than drugs !

Can we be your friends then Phil, because we are dead common.:rolleyes: We enjoy looking out for unusual number plates and so long as they are not breaking the law and can be traceable. Who cares. Just a bit of fun really. 

• Upvote 1

I have what some may call private plates. They just happen to be on 1960's cars and are the registrations of that period. Many years ago I went to buy a 1967 Rover 2000 on Beeston Fields Drive. Pulled up and the registration was the first thing I saw, MAL 182E. Supplied new by C H Truman. Had to have it! I ran that car until it was no longer worth doing anything with so I broke it for spares, but that was after I had transferred the reg off. I still have it - for obvious reasons. I aint no snob!  Oh and the car cost me £150!

• Upvote 3

Brilliant Malcolm. That's the whole idea of personal plates. Something personal.

1 hour ago, carni said:

Can we be your friends then Phil, because we are dead common.:rolleyes: We enjoy looking out for unusual number plates and so long as they are not breaking the law and can be traceable. Who cares. Just a bit of fun really. 

You can be my friends anytime. The commoner the better!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I've had private plates for years. Those who know me would certainly never call me a snob! Some of my best friends are common people.

No offence intended at all Phil. People who know me will know my comment was made a bit "tongue in cheek" !

A few years ago my sister ordered a brand new car & bought a private plate for it. She turned up one day with a brand spanking new VW Golf ! Lovely car too. After a customary blast around the estate to see how fast it would go I reported that the car "were'nt bad". She was more concerned that I had not noticed the reg plate instead.

The last three letters of the plate was her name initials, that's all. Only she would recognise the plate, no one else ! If it had been her initials with No 1 after them that would be unique but has it was it meant nothing, only to her. !

She would strut around Arnold like Hyacinth Bucket, parading her new number plate, I relentlessly took the mickey until she flogged the car with the plate as well after a couple of years !

If people want to spend their money on these then I have no problems with that. Each to their own.

My Christian name can be shortened to three letters, as could that of my ex. We planned on a plate for my Land Rover that conveniently combined the two. It never materialised unfortunately, as SHE got everything !