Car Number Plates

I saw a car tonight with the rear number plate fixed upside down.

Obviously, this is to defeat the ANPR cameras, so, I thought - is this legal?

Looking on the 'net', I found this:

What does the law state?

All registration plates – including private plates – must be displayed in accordance with the Road Vehicles Regulation Act 2001.

Plates should be:

1. Displayed at the front and rear of a car

2. Easy to read

3. White at the front of the car and yellow at the rear, with black lettering

4. Able to reflect light

5. Sized correctly – including lettering and spacing which hasn’t been altered

6. Genuine – with the correct font

Plate size

Plate characters on cars registered after September 2001 must have the following dimensions:

• Height – 79mm

• Width – 50mm

• Stroke – 14mm

• Space between characters – 11mm

• Space between groups of characters – 33mm

• Top, bottom and side margins – 11mm

• Space between vertical lines – 19mm

Your number plate could be removed if it includes:

• Stylised fonts like italics

• Incorrect character size

• Fixing bolts which change the digits appearance

As it doesn't mention fitting the plates the right way up, I'm not sure if it is within the law to do so. Any ideas anyone?

• Like 1
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

Yes no doubt to fool the ANPR cameras.

But if spotted by the police, it would be good cause for a turn over of the vehicle.

Bit of a give away, Number plates upside down?

Incidentally Pooh, When he passes the ANPR camera and smashes into your vehicle, putting you off the road,

Youl be ok cos your one of the mugs who pays out for insurance every year, and you can lose your no claims bonus, to boot!

And if you thought your Insurance rates were high, its because your paying for him as well.

I would say there would be offences there in relation to letter spacing, If I can find out I will.

What if it's a regulation plate in all other senses, i.e. correct font, spacing, size etc?

It was a boy racer by the way, windows down, music load, no seat belts, mobile phone in use, passengers hanging out the windows being obnoxious...............etc.

Incidentally Pooh, When he passes the ANPR camera and smashes into your vehicle, putting you off the road,

Youl be ok cos your one of the mugs who pays out for insurance every year, and you can lose your no claims bonus, to boot!

And if you thought your Insurance rates were high, its because your paying for him as well.

What makes you think I didn't already know that?

Not to defend the eejits that drive without insurance, but have you seen how much it is for an 18yr old... holy moly. My son was given a car in March, and we paid over £1000 to insure it... me as the main driver (as he hadnt passed his test) and we transferred my full no claims on to this 15 year old car to get the insurance that cheap. 2 weeks ago my son passed his test, and we duly informed the insurance company who told us they want ANOTHER £100 a month to carry on insuring the damn thing :sorry: Theres no way in hell he could afford the insurance as he's one of the many out looking for work, and he needs insurance to be able to drive to his volunteering he does at the local gliding school.

Maybe if there were actually police on the roads these boyracers might think twice before they start pratting around, and the stupid morons in their huge cars might think twice before making a new lane in the middle of the road, and cutting you up when they come across another of "their club"

(sorry, stressful drive back from Skeggy where it must've been "eejits day" today :(

It's eejit day in Lincolnshire every day, especially those who want to cross the white center line on every bend they come to. I've just got in from my usual evening bike ride and almost didn't make it because one of these clowns came round a bend on the wrong side of the road as shown to us by the Top Gear drivers

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

A Dude wasn't the first word I thought of !!!!!

• Upvote 1

There used to be a car around these parts with 5EXY.............not seen it for years.

Someone's got a high opinion of themselves haven't they ?

There's one lives near me. I assume it contains his intitials but whenever I read it I think of "The League of Gentlemen" black comedy. Th enumebr is W 8RSS As in Briss the butcher, purveyor of "Special" meat.

My neighbour has a private number on his van. R14 MKY Ronnie MacKay birthday 14th July. Hence his other car: J14 ULY. He does ok for a joiner!

There used to be a car around these parts with 5EXY.............not seen it for YEARS

Still got it Graham,....lol.

• Upvote 1

I thought yours was B16 EDD benjamin. LOL

• Upvote 1

If you like you could have PRE77Y.