Car Number Plates

Looking back through the thread I noticed reference to the Queen not having a number plate. It brought to mind the time I had been up the mountain "Ben Avon" near Blamoral. It was late in the afternoon and the Queen had been attending the Braemar Highland Games along with her entourage. I was getting changed out of my muddy mountain gear and as I stood at the end of the track in nowt but my underpants there suddenly appeared a cavalcade of cars - the first bearing NO NUMBER PLATE but a coat-of-arms on a plate above the windscreen. As the procession passed I stood watching, unable to do anything about my state of undress. I wonder how many others have been seen in their undercrackers by HM The Queen and got away with it? 

:faint:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

Her Majesty did comment that whatever that man was wearing needed ironing!      :ohmy:

• Like 1

He's probably hunting for wild Haggis Ma'am,trying to tempt them with a small morsal

Rog

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I am completing the assembly of a 1914 Sunbeam and looking for a registration number to suit.

The registration numbers of cars at this time were two letters followed by numbers (usually four numbers)

If anyone has a reg. number of this type, on retention, that they want to sell then please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't go much for personal number plates but I have to say that I wouldn't mind owning this one, seen in Wick the other day. Pity the owner has not learnt how to park it though:

Ago2pub.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The last firm I worked for was a soap manufacturing company called Kays (Ramsbottom) Ltd. One product was called K1 Soap Powder.Over time the Company acquired 3 numbers.Mine was K15 OAP  (K1 5OAP) the others being K50 APS and K5 OAP. Although the plates were on 3 totally different colours and models of car,the local constabulary insisted on correct spacing which somewhat nullified the effect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My last firm had personal number plates with the firms name shown on the whole fleet. Considering the wagons were plastered with the company name what is the point ?

Makes no sense at all to me.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On hols here in Florida number plate spotting: The local Florida plates are mostly white with green numbers/letters although you see the odd one with other colours, saw one that read '1A COP' I wonder what his/her job is? Lots of out of state & Canadian plates of every colour of the rainbow & just about every letter/number combination you can think of. My & wife I will be walking down the road & say "oh look, a Maine/New York/Ontario/Maryland etc plate!" The locals must think we're mad. My wife thinks the prettiest is the Arkensas  light blue plate,  John (Ayupmiducks) sent me a sample pic through on facebook, then the next day I clocked one in our car park. Have not seen any Mexican plates yet, here till next week so there's time...

• Upvote 2

Arizona is quite nice. Having said that, we have, I think ar the last count, 55 plates to chose from. One regular plate and 54 specialized plates that support various charities, sports teams, associations etc.

• Like 1

Was just looking at this site, apparently there were 34,000 Az plates rejected. My daughter's plate is UMUPPET. When she explained what it meant she said she loved the Muppets! In fact it's usually what she yells at the ejits driving.

There are quite a few like that in Nottingham. It helps to avoid detection by cameras.

You'll see the actual plate inside the car resting on top of the dash. No doubt the owners will say that "It just fell off and I haven't had time to put it back yet" even though it will have been like that for several weeks.

• Upvote 1

And months CT. 

42 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

We noticed that in the Mitchigan area there were lots of cars with no front number plates at all.

I think it’s quite the norm for cars in the USA to only have a plate on the back, although our US Nottstalgians are in a better position to confirm that.  

This is the registration plate we had on our car in Florida, when we sold the car we kept the plate and as we never bought another car over there we have still got it as the plate is registered to an owner, not the vehicle.    

The 11-14 sticker shows that we’d paid our dues in Nov 2014.

87-E17682-CDA0-46-CC-A1-BC-ECD6609-CE8-D

• Upvote 1

Seen a Mexico plate on a tour bus parked in our car park... Quite a few states don't need a front plate, Florida & Arkensas come to mind. Noticed that a lot of vehicles have red flashing indicators on the back = a brake light doubling up as an indicator light, some back flashers are orange same as UK.... I keep forgetting that they add sales tax on to the price of things here = the price  you see isn't the price you pay, it's always a bit more than you see..

• Like 1
10 hours ago, colly0410 said:

.... I keep forgetting that they add sales tax on to the price of things here = the price  you see isn't the price you pay, it's always a bit more than you see..

Meaning you can’t sort out exact money while your waiting  ‘in line’  to pay then colly so you get pockets full of change?!!   Enjoy your holiday, wish I was there! 

• Like 1

Darn sales tax. Why don't they add it in the price of things, like the U.K.  Arizona only has back plates, you can put anything you like on the front. I figured you  only have a back plate because if you get pulled over, the cop stops behind you, and checks your plate on his computer before he comes to speak to you. I may be wrong, it has been known before!

• Like 1

We use the change for the local 'I-trolley' bus servis, it only costs 25 cents when I show my Notts old farts bus pass  instead of $2. Bloke in the Icon centre asked if I was military? I said "ex British army!" He gave me a card saying 'ex active military' & told me to show it everywhere I eat/shop as most will give a discount. Everywhere except Wallgreens & £1-99 shop (= to our pound shops) has given a discount, I got 10% off at Perkins bakery last night & Louisiana Kitchen t'other day.... Bit of excitement yesterday as a tree across the road was struck by lightning, boy was it loud... Really having a good ime...

• Like 1

I looked it up when Steve posted about it on FB, turns out it's a cost cutting measure, 19 states issue only one plate which has to be fixed on the rear of the vehicle.

• Like 1