Car Number Plates

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

No chance. We're easy targets.

I'd have been rolling on the ground laughing at the £375,000, let alone the £381,916.67.

I believe that if and when these priced plates actually sell then they don't go for anything like the advertised price.

In 51 years of car ownership I've always resisted the temptation to spend money on number plates and I've never seen the point of having your own initials.

I've had a few cars that came with low numbers or tidy lookin numbers but untill last year I've never paid for one.

I spent a whole £250 direct from DVLA including fees, for a car specific plate.

We are coming back home tomorrow, I'll really miss spotting out of state & Canadian different coloured number plate's, back to boring black on white & yellow. Most foreign European plate's you see are black on white or yellow, or red on white if from Belgium. Really had a good time..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Here's a number plate that gave me a laugh. Sorry about the blurry pic but I was driving at the time and it was taken before the days of dash cams.

1080_1a1864ea-bca6-4665-8076-63a3d96f5c7

Me neither. Glad I'm not the only one !

Couple of weeks ago, I was sat in the car waiting for our daughter to complete her visit to the dentist in West Bridgford when an Aston Martin driven by a balding middle-aged bloke drove slowly by. His car registration was “H15EXY”.

First thing daughter said when she saw it was “what a tw*t”.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Seems to me there two sorts, those who can see the humour in some plates and those who can't. I and at least one other on here have private plates and quite honestly don't give a rats A... what anyone thinks about it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Oop 'ere in foorrmer Lancarsheer..  The nearest town and Rugby League club to me is St Helens.  (  aka Sentellins.. or Saints)  A couple of vehicles regularly seen sporting  S14NTS  or S41NTS.

One of the funniest I ever saw was VRO OOM or similar..on a flash looking sports car. 

I have a good friend who's Dad was a motor dealer called Terry, and had TER 10, TER 12 and a couple of others. Less impressed by that..

And most others I just find a bit sad.  Girl across the road has J3UE B  Her name is Julie and surname begins with B .. but really?

Another in the next street as SUE something or other.  Her name is at least Sue.. but why?

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Her name is at least Sue.. but why?

Why not?   What is sad about it?

I don't understand why some are narked by the fact a car has private plates. 

Is it ostentatious? yes, so what? Are the dislikes and the disparaging remarks inverted snobbery? yes they are.

At the end of the day it's simply personalisation, much like dressing in bright colours or wearing a beard.

• Upvote 1

I have a beard. I've had it since I was nineteen (about 1964 -65, a picture of me at about that age, or a bit older, is on these pages). It is not an affectation, stupid or otherwise. My beard is there because I can't imagine anything more tedious than the ritual of shaving away facial hair only to have to repeat the whole procedure the following day.

I trim my beard about once a month. The time it takes is just about equivatent to the time taken for one daily shave, or even less.

Regarding personalised plates, no such thing here. You are stuck with the registration plates (plaques d'immatriculation) the car had when it first left the showroom or dealer The formatting doesn't allow for anything sensible or amusing to be made from it in any case (2 letters, 3 numbers, and then 2 letters).

• Like 1

Don't think I've seen personalized plates here and yes our plates are white with black lettering front and back with euro circle on left hand side with letters I. ( for Italy :rolleyes:). Our plates are 2 letters followed by 3 numbers and again 2 letters.  At one time the first 2 letters corresponded to the area where the car was registered

• Like 1

^^^^Italy similar to France then. I've never taken much notice of any car number plates here so I would guess that a lot of local city transport is Italian, considering its proximity.

My ex wife and I considered having plates with an amalgamation of shortened versions of our Christian names on it, but sadly never got round to it. I quite like personalised plates, as in most cases, it shows a bit of ingenuity.

Whilst on the subject of beards. I currently sport a small moustache, and a beard that just covers the end of my chin. Probably a short cropped goatee I suppose. Over the years since my late teens, I've had full beards and short beards. 

Again, it's a matter of choice. Some I like, others I don't.

Just now, FLY2 said:

Whilst on the subject of beards. I currently sport a small moustache, and a beard that just covers the end of my chin. Probably a short cropped goatee I suppose. Over the years since my late teens, I've had full beards and short beards. 

Again, it's a matter of choice. Some I like, others I don't.

Oh, not another one! I bet you’ve got a private plate as well.:biggrin:

Ha, no Phil, I haven't.