Car Number Plates

I think some may have the wrong end of the stick the plates that cost stupid money & cherished plates from days gone are fine, its the ones that are mucked about with using bolts, skewiff numbers & letters, those that are made to look like something, the type you have to remove before an MOT, the type the police should be pulling up.

Like the one below, that's illegal & quite cheap. 

Dp-04mtX4AEAw8p?format=jpg&name=medium

This one not illegal very clever & probably very expensive (if that S is actually a 5 I take it all back) 

BVBfHl3CIAApz4d?format=jpg&name=medium

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

When I first got mine I asked the plate maker to push the letters and number a bit closer together but he did say ‘you do realise you’ll be a marked man’. I took his advice and kept the normal spacing. Still can’t mistake it though!

• Like 1

This is puzzling me and I bet one of you has the answer. On the motorway we have average speed cameras pointing at us as we drive towards them. They read our plates. What about motor bikes? They only have plates on the back. Are they missed by this system? The ordinary speed cameras catch vehicles as they pass and so will get the back number.

Another question about cars. Talking to a friend last week he said that years ago drivers had to have a radio licence if they had a car radio. He said they cost about ten shillings.  Dad got his car in 1966 and I do not remember that.

The 10/- licence was for all radios, as far as I know car radios did not require a separate licence. Radio's in cars were (I think), covered by the household licence so were not transferable when the car was sold.  The new owner needed to endure he had a his own licence.

Radio licences ceased early 70's. 

Smart motorway cameras 'look' both ways and calculate  average speed. The ones on the gantries can 'see' over the center reservation to the opposite carriageway so it doesn't matter which way you're travelling.

They are always in pairs and must not be closer than 200 metresThe shortest average speed trap is in Cornwell (half a mile). The longest is in Scotland, 99 miles!

Interesting to note as of the end of 2017 a single camera on the A610 Nottingham caught almost 76,000 speeders and generated £4.2 Million in fines.

• Like 1

Shirley,

Most average speed cameras have now been turned around to catch bikes as well. Certainly the ones on the roads of Nottm, especially the ring road, were changed some years ago.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BilboroughShirley said:

What about motor bikes? They only have plates on the back. Are they missed by this system? 

11 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Most average speed cameras have now been turned around to catch bikes as well. 

On many bikes I've seen, there may be a number plate on the rear but the lettering is stupidly small, and often the plate itself is at a very strange, awkward angle; presumably intended to be unreadable by cameras.

On some trail bikes, the plate can be at an angle due to the design of the back of the bike.

But those with small plates or tiny letters are only as bad as those car drivers with non-standard plates, i.e. they have made themselves easy targets to be stopped by the police.

They are in theory an easy target Rob, but the police never seem to be taking any action. How many cars do you see these days with the front plate on the dashboard ? Easy to just drop on the floor when they're up to no good. Likewise, those plates that look very dark, and look to be reflective. Surely they're illegal !

1 hour ago, denshaw said:

There was a rumour that if you sprayed your number plates with hair spray it made the reflective to cameras and they were not readable.

Must try that  :biggrin:

Which hairspray do you use Rog ?

• 2 weeks later...

Personalized number plates are common here in Caithness; many farmers have them. A few of examples are: "SK17TEN" (Skitten farm), "S18STR" (Sibster farm), "T15TER" (Tister farm) & "B5 EWE" (A sheep farmer).

I saw ELVIS yesterday in Wick!  It must have been him, he was driving a van with a personalized number plate "ELV15  J"

:rotfl:

There's a farmers' auction mart on locally today. Saw a couple more of the farmers' personalised number plates. : W4TEN (Watten west farm) and SK11TEN (Skitten farm's second private plate))

Saw D11RUG on a new Range Rover in Broxtowe yesterday. Blatant or what ? 

• Like 1

Nothing special about this number plate because 50 years ago I doubt many people even considered spending money on ‘special’ ones.   However this Rolls Royce Corniche still has its original registration and doesn’t look bad for an old motor that was originally owned by The Who’s Keith Moon, this one didn’t end up in a swimming pool and sits mostly in our neighbour’s drive in Dorset. 

88-F46016-4-C25-4-A43-B678-9742-C95-C1-A

• Upvote 1

Yes, I wrote off one of the firms vans in 95.  N 693 OJF.