Car Number Plates

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

If I remember correctly, the one that went into the pool was white if that's any help.

SYO 724 F was the one I've seen in a pool, but that could be anyone's.

I've just checked on the Morgan +8 in my avatar, E33 UGP. That was a 1987 car, built for the Motofair exhibition, which I bought around 1989 and sold a couple of years later. I see its only done 31515 miles up to its last MOT in 2018. It's not had an MOT this year so I assume it's languishing somewhere. It's only done 5500 miles since 2006. I'd like to get my hands on that again; it would probably be worth more than I paid for it. 3500cc V8 - it was very skittish in the wet!

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

SYO 724 F was the one I've seen in a pool, but that could be anyone's.

That was the Rolls on the cover of that Oasis album FLY. Submerged in the swimming pool at Stocks in Aldbury, Hertfordshire and with a false number plate I believe.  I went there many times, not dressed as a bunny girl I hasten to add. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

My first car (Triumph Herald) was GAY 585B, I never noticed the plate when I bought it but my mates did, they extracted the urine big time. Other spellers I've had are AVO, JOB, ORA, OCH & my present one UGZ. Keep saying I'll treat myself to a no year Northern Irish plate, seen IIG + four numbers quite cheap on a plate site... 

The Rolls in the pool was a shadow, not a Corniche and was carfully staged. Lizzie is correct the plate is false, the original was MDH 119K

• Upvote 1

I once had a Ford sierra mk3, 1971 with reg AVA 443J. Din't mean owt but thought I'd  put my pennorth in. First car I  ever hadwas EEB 512, a 1954 Ford Popular ( side valve, three gears).

Hi Pianoman is that your personal plate does it still fit?My first car was a1960 Minor 1000 ,398 FRR good old nottm.number the last car i had was a 1963 CHEV IMPALA i bought in Leicester number was 575 EUT.It was a huge car i dont know how i drove through the narrow streets of Nuthall and Kimberley,it went like the clappers so did the petrol it had a 327 cu.in. engine 4 barrel carburettor and powerglide automatic transmission,it was fantastic car.

Hopefully he's basking in unbroken sunshine, convalescing with a quadruple G & T in his hand.

It must be that he's had his op ...  Hope to see him posting again soon.

if I disappear from the site for any length of time, someone will have to email Paul or Facebook message him on my page (he doesn't have his own Fb page) to find out what's happened... I know at least one of you has our phone number, too.

I'm  not being morbid - just realistic .... but don't leave it too long after my absence in case you need to hire a small charabanc  for  a group visit to the fens!!    Lol

8 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

I had J816 BRA for a while   :ohmy:

Reminds me that as a youngster back in the early 60s, I regularly used to see an E-Type with BRA 36B driving along Westdale Lane.

Always made me snigger.

Somewhat off-topic but one of my colleagues in my first job was always boasting he owned an E-type. Eventually he turned up to work in it. It wasn't a Jag but a Morris E-type from the 1950s.

I always coveted an E Type but by the time I could get round to one it had evolved into the XJS and I was 40. It was a mechanical disaster over 3 years but it did look good in red with magnolia hide! I dipped into the Jag world again just over three years ago with an F Type. Again in bright red. That was returned to the dealership 8 times in three years and it only covered 12,000 miles. It was disposed of when the warranty expired. I did so want to own a British car but I must have reliability.

What is it with men buying red cars?  I'm sure I've read the answer somewhere...  

it's good to see you've returned, Phil.  I got a bit twitchy when my old class mate went AWOL x