Car Number Plates

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a lad, I went to Whipsnade. All that I saw was a dog. That was a Shih Tzu.

At least you don't have to figure out what these plates mean, britgal [me] and britchick [Zumba instructor]

The time to get worried is when no-one notices you aren't there.  

Whenever I see number plates when I'm stuck in traffic, I come up with little quotes and phrases.

Some are amusing, some rude, but some quite romantic ones believe it or not.

Our current car ends in FMC. We remember it by saying "fat man's car" ..... but Paul is certainly not overweight so it's not a very accurate way of remembering it!

• Upvote 1

I used to do the bodywork for Crown Motors in Bullwell they were the NSU dealers.

Nice cars first Wankel engine I ever saw. It was owned by a pro cricket player.

• Upvote 2

dgbrit. That Wankel-engined car was owned by Gary Sobers. The next owner was one of the flight observers at Rolls-Royce Hucknall.

• Upvote 2

Gary Sobers! What a cricketer that man was. I watched him regularly when he played for Notts. in the 70s. Always entertaining. 6x6s in one over against Glamorgan too. Here's the film of the event:

https://youtu.be/KZUVL3SqqZo

• Upvote 1

Thanks Chulla that was the guy i had to replace the boot lid on that NSU as it had a dent in it so the new one arrived it had 19 dents in it was easy to fix one than 19 the owner agreed, Funny thing I nearly crashed it moving it into the shop it had a funny way of changing gears

no clutch pedal, put it in reverse and hit the gas nothing happened tried another gear .......nothing plenty of revs still nothing. Even more revs still nothing until I let go of the gearstick & it took off like a bloody rocket almost drove it into a brick wall.

Finally got it sorted the clutch disengaged when you touched the gearstick never seen that before or since.

Ps no idea how you found that out Chulla but that was spot on.

#112. dgbrit The pilots' offices at RR Hucknall were just outside of No.3 hangar where I worked. The car, which belonged to one of the flight observers, was parked outside - couldn't miss it every day. Someone told me that it used to belong the Sobers.

I bought my NSU Prinz - or rather my gran bought it for me - for £200.00 from a place just down from the Bowling Alley. I had it for two years; took me on my honeymoon to Devon, and around Ireland as a guest with the Morris 8 Touring Club, then sold it for scrap and bought a Melanie LP with the proceeds.

• Upvote 1

I had never thought about a personalised plate until one day I was accosted by a rather pompous elderly lady who lived on our lane.

"Do you have a personalised number plate?" she asked. I replied that hadn't and was not especially interested in having one. "Good" she said - "If you ever get a personalised plate I will never speak to you again!"

This, of course, ignited the flame and when I got home I went online and bought three - all of which alluded to my surname.

Sadly she died soon afterwards.

Like you Annesleyred........i can only remember one number plate well half of it anyway,had a grey mini van in the 60s,and the letters were BBC cant recall any of the very many others including my present one......neither could i recite my tel.phone number,E-Mail,Post code,even get my house number wrong on occasions,and it always amazes me that some people know their National insurance number.......

• Upvote 1