A thingy quiz for Mr Rob T

Specially for you my friend.

What is it, it's supplied in a nice wooden box with writing on it.

items001-1.jpg

This is what it looks like.

items002-1.jpg

Whats it's significance.

Put your hand down, that boy from Winsford over there, we don't want to show favouritism by your constant comments.

Now then i think i may know what it is. Its not a recorder but something to do with gun sights i think.

Well done, nearly there, be a bit more specific, and think of something very famous.

Right then here goes, was it used to record the effects of the bouncing bomb raids on the German dams? I know its a long shot but i cannot think of anything more famous at the moment. I tell a lie, could it also have come from a Vulcan to record their bomb affects?

Hmmm....

G.G.S. - it could be several things:

Gyro Guidance System

Gyro Gun System

Gun Guidance System

etc...

I cheated and "googled" it, but won't spoil it for those who wish to guess.

I found a picture of one installed!

Well, thats it then.

Gyroscopic gunsight, an early computer, invented by Feranti to replace the massive and less than succesful reflector gunsight used in the BoB, I've also got one of those, it's huge, it still works.

When the Fw190 came out and outclassed the MkV Spitfire, the replacement MkIX's were fitted with these things and allegedly increased the kill rate by 100%:

800px-Spitfire_cockpit.jpg

The kit was supplied to the Yanks and manufactured by Sperry, who'd invented the Norden bomb site. Unfortunately one of their P-47's was shot down and the Germans got their hands on a GGS, improved and simplified it and that was that.

This is the gun camera attachment that, rather than sit in the wings, recorded the view of the pilot.

Sight20recording20camera.jpg

Electrically20driven20gun20camera.jpg

How did I end up with one? I had a client with a very interesting shadowy military career, he came into the office once and dumped a massive cardboard box on my desk full of incredible historical military stuff, he reckoned his pal was about to bin it all and thought I'd appreciate it, not arff!!!