Ok another pet hate of mine, I was in a shop earlier and I was stuck on isle behind this woman, so politely asked her to 'excuse me' but she was too busy on the phone, so I said it abit louder... She moved, but to the middle of the isle!! So I said it the 3rd time, louder, she looked at me and said 'cant you see I'm on the phone, so rude' in the end my partner shouted MOVE THEN! And I think the male voice intimidated her a little.

Why stand gabbing on the phone in a supermarket. At least move so your not in anyone's way... Or even acuse them of being the rude ones! Those people really so irritate me!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holding the door open for people and being totally ignored....so rude. I always say ' that's alright duck, I hold the door for anyone ' but always get a blank look. ( Sorry if this has ben mentioned b

Like i said Nonna.........love to greet people in their own language........and i got most of the words by asking the teenagers,.........however the other week i was dealing with some Punjabi teenager

Yes,and he still won £3666.......said hes going to 'blow it' on a trip to Vegas.........bet he can't find it..........

One I have noticed is does and dose. But the transposition of the words 'of' instead of ' have' is one that really gets my goat too.

I'd have run the B*&^% down with the shopping cart!!!

Like I have stated on another topic, it's mainly due to Comprehensive Education.

Instead of encouraging kids to achieve the standard of the brightest pupils, teachers set the level of dimmest kids as the norm.

What do you end up with? Mediocrity if you're lucky. God help us!

• Upvote 2

Do they teach "texting" at school as a second language???? LOL

• Upvote 1

Meducks... I would of done, but little en was fast asleep in it, head hanging over the edge on the other halts jacket as a cushion haha! I was not being held responsible for a grumpy toddler!

When in the RAF I was responsible for a sort of airforce wide news sheet and once criticized spelling seen on some aircraft servicing documents. Some one objected saying it didn't matter as, 'we know what they mean'. I asked RAF Halton training school about this and they said they were glad to see my criticism. Their view was that if they didn't care about spelling etc, what other low standards did they have? I've always tried to abide by this since.

Criticizing someone's spelling to me is like, criticizing the person and their education, and a little snobbish.

Millions of adults and children all over the world would love to know how to read and write.

I have seen the face of a man in The Central African Republic, light up when he wrote his name and the names of his children for the first time on a census form, how do you think he would have felt, if I had said "You have spelt your childrens names wrong, you have mixed up the letters"

That is one reason I will never be pedantic, about how someone writes.

• Upvote 1

I am glad that I am not on my own being irritated by the laziness and lack of knowledge when people use the English Language. It just makes me cringe. Also the overuse of the work 'like'. This is comprehensive education at its best. It is annoying that there are so many clever youngsters with a real interest in some of the subjects they do, but they just do not know how to use the English language in the way it should be used. I can understand using 'textspeak' when texting. It is much the same as typists using shorthand. But not for everyday use.

However, today I came across another annoying motorist trait. I was behind someone who kept slowing down and accelerating for no reason, fell asleep at all the lights and stopped at every traffic island, even though there was no traffic on it.

I have noticed an emerging generation of hunch backs. Phone in one hand, back bent and nose almost touching the phone. Complete oblivion.

• Upvote 1

#109 I don't understand the accusation, 'being a little snobbish'. In an aircraft environment a misunderstanding, written or spoken, could be fatal; also, I see nothing wrong in taking some sort of pride in something of personal interest.

• Upvote 1

#109 I don't understand the accusation, 'being a little snobbish'. In an aircraft environment a misunderstanding, written or spoken, could be fatal; also, I see nothing wrong in taking some sort of pride in something of personal interest.

I agree in certain situations, spelling and speaking correctly, is a good thing, but in everyday life, does it really matter if peoples spelling, is not as it should be, the world will not end if I cannot spell..

I was using the word, snobbish, to say some people who can spell, look down on those who cannot spell, as if they are a more superior.

• Upvote 1

As I said, what is wrong with taking a pride in something of personal interest, and certainly the world will not end if you cannot spell, but this is in no way pointing at a standard of education. At the moment I'm involved with an amateur dramatic group with youngsters from 10 to 19 years old and I find the level of general literacy very poor. They speak and write in text. An example of degradation of language is as follows. In speaking to an 18 year old, I described the situation of someone as, 'untenable'. I was asked what that meant. "Indefensible", I said. "What does that mean?" I was asked, and so on. I've also been accused of using 'old English' when using words of a couple of syllables in scripts I have written, but I don't think this is entirely to do with education, good, poor or indifferent. My own education I would put as indifferent. It seems to me that electronic communication has cultivated a situation where text speak and a disinclination to read a book, or pick up a dictionary, is permanently changing our language "Why should I read a book when I can watch the DVD?" It's happened before, in a fashion. Our vocabulary has decreased many time since Shakespeare's day. I wonder what comments would be made if artists began to paint in black and white rather than use colour!

• Upvote 2

It is nothing new, over 50 years ago "scare'em" Aram then headmaster at Claremont used to rant and rave re such, "It not matter" being a term he used alot, Rather surprised though that nobody has mentioned the duplicity of words in the english language and how the hell words like brough are pronounced "bruff" and police instead of po-lice end up as pleece as a pet hate

I don't speak or write a foreign language, never having been taught it at school and never having the inclination afterwards, but I'd like to bet that such a language it's taught with more accuracy and respect than our own.

Meducks... I would of done, but little en was fast asleep in it, head hanging over the edge on the other halts jacket as a cushion haha! I was not being held responsible for a grumpy toddler!

I rest my case thumbsdown

Rog

I think comments that ridicule a Nottstalgian is going too far. I don't like to hear people who, during a conversation, will say "yeah, "like" or "you know" after every couple of words. It's normally the younger people but it's a phase they go through, just like we all did when we were younger. Obviously, there are situations where correct English must be spoken, Air Traffic Control at Heathrow Airport for instance. We must remember that it's not everyone who will get an 'A' in their exam results. Many people just don't have the ability or they may have a medical reason that holds them back. babs, one of our Nottstalgian friends, has a problem with her English and spelling but she has a really good memory for names and places. I really enjoy reading the posts from babs and Pixie and I couldn't care less if they get the spelling or phrasing wrong. Nottstalgia is a place for everyone, whatever their abilities, and while it remains that way I will still be a member.

• Upvote 2

Gcse's mean nothing, I know. But I got a B for written work at school (years ago.. so irrelevant now but it's a point) when I write letters my grammar and punctuation is correct. My spelling is good, there are a few words I'll admittedly get wrong. But on forums and social networking, when my phone has stored miss spelt words, it auto corrects to the wrong word and the keypad is horrid on htc's. Then again, if anyone wants to pic fault in any of my mistakes in a post, feel free if it makes you feelbetter :)

• Upvote 1

I have done a lot of proof reading, and other folks' errors always jump out at you, but funnily enough, your own don't. I write letters to folks on the computer and always go through them before pressing send, and correct anything I spot. When I re-read the letter again before answering another, tons of mistakes jump out, that I never saw before! It's always harder to spot your own.

I hate making spelling and grammatical mistakes. I always feel guilty because I tend to notice other people's. Anyway, my wife is crap at spelling, but she is my life and I don't give a hoot how she spells things. She's good at looking after me.

• Upvote 1

Katyjay, # 123. Exactly the same with me. I can't say I have done lots of proof reading but spelling and grammatical mistakes really jump out at me. I see a mistake immediately I begin reading a newspaper article and what another poster was saying on this thread the other day, apostrophes put willy nilly on words, drives me spare. Example being 'we are open Sunday's' or 'Tyre's for sale' (just two I have seen recently). I realise that not everyone is able to get it right and I'm thankful that I do, so best to leave it at that.