One of mine I have mentioned on another thread. The robot tills at B&Q...no human contact...just a machine to snatch my hard earned money...

Another is creeping censorship where a machine decides what is and is not PC speak...On a gardening forum the other day while discussing laying a lawn from turf, the powers that be with their censorship gadget decided that I was not allowed the word sod,and changed it to s**

On an Australian forum last year an ex-pat mentioned nipping out for a fag...this was immediately pounced on as innapropriate language...How they describe a bundle of firewood collected in winter with the Old English word 'faggots' I've no idea.

Some Yank pinches an English word and changes the meaning...and we are told we can't use it any more...Shakespeare would turn in his grave.

What's your pet hate??

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holding the door open for people and being totally ignored....so rude. I always say ' that's alright duck, I hold the door for anyone ' but always get a blank look. ( Sorry if this has ben mentioned b

Like i said Nonna.........love to greet people in their own language........and i got most of the words by asking the teenagers,.........however the other week i was dealing with some Punjabi teenager

Yes,and he still won £3666.......said hes going to 'blow it' on a trip to Vegas.........bet he can't find it..........

One of mine is the same as one of yours.

The self-serve checkouts really bug me. Maybe I'm just being a tight-arse but isnt part of what we pay in our shops there to pay the staff? If so, why does it cost the same amount to buy the goods whether we go thru the proper checkouts as it does when we go thru the "cant be bothered to serve you, so do it yourself" checkouts?

Oh, I have lots - but a couple of favorites are mis-use of the word "free" - it is common here to say "you get it for free". What the heck does "for free" mean? Has anybody ever seen a free, or given one in exchange for something?

The other is "unique" - look it up. Unique means "the only one of its kind" - so something cannot be almost unique, nearly unique, or (the best) the "most unique". It is either unique, or it isn't!

Another one is turning nouns into verbs - a few years back we had a radio ad that boasted "Arts and Craftsing" - no, I am not joking. And how about that abomination of torture of the English language "winningest"!

I'd better stop now!

• Upvote 1

Hollywoods version of how the USA won the war and however 'even handed' some of their productions are, there's always a dig.

U-571 is the ultimate example, how the good old USA discovered the mysteries of Enigma, previously discovered years before by the brave Polish Army, did you know that, and subsequently worked on at Bletchley Park by the unsung British heroes featured in a naff film turned into a love story, no doubt to appease their Hollywood backers.

Pearl Harbour, when Ben Affleck taught the RAF how to really fight the Battle of Britain.

The Longest Day when the majority of the stars were American, can you recall a character in that film playing Montgomery, who was in effect the land commander during the invasion, our's and the Canadian troops outnumbered the Yank invovlement by nearly 2 to 1.

Saving Private Ryan with non existant British participation, when Montgomery was insulted in a conversation between US officers.

Band of Brothers and the attack on the Dutch town when the British tank regiment was clearly blamed for the failure of the attack.

A Bridge Too Far when the break out from Neijmagen was blamed for it's lack of success on the British descision to have tea instead, b#ll#cks, Hollywood manipulating the truth, my old man was over the bridge and was part of the real conversation, it was all down to logistic support.

Best one was Operation Burma featuring Errol Flynn, it was so insulting to the British troops fighting out there at the time that it was banned in British cinemas for years.

I accept that we would never have won WW2 without US support and intervention, but don't manipulate history to appease your audiences and boost your ratings please without giving us some respect, which you constantly fail to do.

I'm already twitching because Tom Cruise has been seen around the set of Peter Jacksons Dam Busters project, Guy Gibson? please God, noooooo.

Having NO GO areas in my city of birth, being told I have to respect the non native peoples in Nottingham when they don't give a Sh*t about me

Rog, (out of it in Lincolnshire)

Little a*******s that walk out in front of you to cross the road and then walk as slow as possible without giving a s**t!!

They seem to think that the road is just an extension of the pavement. Are they all on DRUGS?

Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code madashell

Was at Tesco's at Top Valley on sat & saw a BSM driving school car trying to teach a novice to park. What a performance ! the novice was nowhere near the level of parking knowledge required, six empty bays & he was nowhere near the lines to correctly park.

Oh my good night !

Little a*******s that walk out in front of you to cross the road and then walk as slow as possible without giving a s**t!!

They seem to think that the road is just an extension of the pavement. Are they all on DRUGS?

Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code

We get the scumbags deliberately doing it en-masse outside the park at the end of my road. I just drive straight at them, they get out the way then. Last saturday evening I was driving back from the supermarket in my missu's car and they decided to chuck stones, I went up the pavement and made out I was trying to wipe the arrogant f#####s out, their pants must have been filled to bursting, you should have seen the panic that ensued. I'll get them in the end, but my next posting could be from Belmont.

Nearly got 2 'Pavement' cyclist tonight as I turned left off the Ring Road into a side road. They were talking away, never looking and just rode straight off the pavement into the road. Gave 'em a bit of a shock when I took my time braking.......he had to stop quick and lean left into his female companions bike ...he.he. The look on his face was a picture...

Bog rolls with the first 15ft glued down!

Regarding parking at Tescos, I try to park next to and partly on a hashed area, so that I am as far away from the next parking bay as possible to prevent some drongo opening their door against my car. Usualy when i do this the person parks right on or over the adjoining white line, so that they can still open their door into you!

I might therefore in future be the one who is parked in two bays!

where do I start?

mother and toddler parking bays, why?

people who talk on mobile phones and have that big a gob they

don't need the phone

people who leave car engines running when on the phone or parked up

taxi drivers who blast their horns to announce their arrival

people who regards zig zags at zebra crossings as their own reserved parking spot

a certain police inspector who when I asked why an officer hadn't not given a ticket to someone parked on zebra crossing zig zags came back with the excuse "the car was probably not causing an obstruction" talk about him going red when I quoted the relevant road traffic act reg! and sent a written response (yes did really happen)

people who tell me I'm wrong when as always I'm right, lol

Katherine Jenkins, flutter your pretty eyelids and be the greatest classical singer, EVER.

No way, media backside licking and money making over a non event, she doesn't deserve what she gets, it's all out of proportion to her lack of talent.

Nice girl, shame about the voice.

people who leave car engines running when on the phone or parked up

Idiot drivers who leave their headlights on when parked...usually while calling at a shop for the morning paper.

Who the hell's Katherine Jenkins??

Delivery drivers who have their hazard lights on while parked infront of another vehicle making it look like to a driver who's approaching that they are wanting to pull out.

Idiots who while parked for whatever reason on the side of the road you're on facing one with headlights on

Bip.

Drivers who park on the wrong side of the road, when they leave they have pull right out before they can see what is coming up the road.

Illegal here! One of the few driving standards that is better than the UK.