I'm sure I've seen a photograph in a railway book of the back garden of one of the bungalows on the old Bulwell Common site full of railway memorabilia - station signs, totems, etc. Is it still there or have I dreamt it?

It's the old Station Masters house on St Albans Rd Jim. The one we've been discussing. I pass it regularly.

Phew! so I'm not losing it. Thanks Fly. I don't get down to Bulwell since mum died, but I guess I'll get in another visit for old time's sake. I'll check it out.

I regularly walk along the old track bed from my house to Tescos, and there are still some signs of old footings, foundations and other assorted bits of brickwork.

Further along after turning right into Moorbridge Rd, there is even some track still in situ in the undergrowth.

Directly opposite the Golf club on Hucknall rd you see some low Bulwell stone wall,in the middle you see an overgrown gap,..........and thats where the steps are............

Nice one Enigma,............i;ll be driving past in 15 minutes.........

• Upvote 1

Have mentioned this before (years ago) and whilst not about Bulwell Forest Station as someone mentioned they were going to walk the route thereabouts they (and others) might like to know they can still walk or cycle the route of the GNR line from Mapperley tunnel to Cinderhil Rd without trespassing, obviously where road bridges have been filled in or removed or where houses or industrial units have been built on the route you will have to cheat a little, like crossing Mansfield Rd or Vernon Rd but there is always a road or footpath leading up to such gaps inc a bridge over the former MR route back of the former swimming baths at Catchem's Corner

Still trying to locate a copy of your book on Bulwell & Basford railways Ashley, but no luck.

Can you remember the exact title?

• 1 month later...

Brilliant Ray, I've seen this before ages ago, a never tire of watching it.

Jubilee, Resolution, green stock on the Bournmouth-York , B16 on steel empties, Austerity, the odd wooden wagon, a good mix of coaching stock. O4, paradise!

Your book arrived this morning Ashley, and I sat on the lawn in the shade and read the lot.

It's very good. Nothing much I didn't already know, although I always find maps of the area interesting, and I've seen most of the pictures before, but I particularly liked your little anecdotes of your early years, brilliant. Well done.

thank you, if I did it again I would make a far better job, that was in general pre pc days, I did it all on a word processor, I also did later pc prototypes for the story of the suburban, the GNR Watnall to Colwick and "t'up north, railways around Eastwood Kimberley Hucknall etc still have them on computer discs (if I can find them)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ray - brilliant video clip - those 6 minutes recapture most of my early 1960s train spotting experience up the line at Carrington Station. Such a variety of sadly tired locomotives doing sterling work.

Carrington was brilliant in the late 50's , early 60's when I was a Forest Fields. We'd cycle down there at lunchtimes, and again at 4.15 after leaving school, and sometimes stay till about 6.30.

Homework, O levels.....bah !