Recently read the background to the horrendous B-52 air display crash..

Apparently pilot Holland was a well known nutcase, regularly flying outside the prescribed envelopes and had been disciplined on several occasions. So much so, that at this display his co-pilot had been told to "keep an eye on him".

Just prior to the eventual crash he had flown a number of alarming circuits, being well below the minimum height and manoeuvering limits.

The whole terrifying display is somewhere on You Tube...

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob

I'm aware of this nutcase, there's film of him on Youtube flying at low level up a valley in the USA which is clearly in breach of the rules, I can only assume that like the infamous UK pilot Don Bullock, who pushed things to the limit in the 70's and died in a terrible crash in an A-26 at Biggin Hill, taking innocent passengers with him, that he had some sort of a sick death wish.

I used to go to the local airshows at the time and witnessed Don Bullock at his worst, he was in fact banned from Duxford for flying B-17 Sally B in a dangerous fashion, he certainly did that, we used to be very concerned if we knew he was flying.

I recall him attempting the infamous barrell roll maneouvre at Mildenhall two weeks before he attempted it again at Biggin Hill and died trying to do it. There are brave pilots and fortunately few idiots, sadly, Holland and Bullock came into the latter category, to other folks cost.