Remembrance Weekend, but where are all the Poppy Sellers

Remembrance.jpg

It's that time of year again, but rather strangely, there seems to be a distinct lack of British Legion poppy sellers around here. I've just been into town and all we have is the whining Romanian Gypsy woman trying to sell copies of Big Issue outside Sainsbury's, I gave her the look of contempt she deserved, well they were on the Nazi's side after all. I have purchased poppies previously, but from the stores, I keep losing them when I take the dogs for a walk, but I found it hard to even find somewhere to buy another just now, customer services at Sainsbury, hmmmmm.

Anyway, I'm off to Duxford tomorow, their service is probably better than the Cenotaph in some respects, it's surrounded by the terrible reminders of conflict and inevitably, Charlie Brown will take the MkV Spit for his usual awesome tribute, always guaranteed to bring a tear to the eye, oddly enough, I have to pay a visit to some Germans on the way there, perhaps they'll come along with me, they were some mothers sons after all, having to do what they were told as usual.

No matter which way one turns there’s a poppy seller more or less on every high street corner in Long Eaton, maybe a little over the top but they are out there you just have to know where there’re hiding, mainly just inside the supermarkets foyer positioned just to the right of the hot air blowers.

When I and me mum sold them at Bracebridge shops back in the late 50s we stood on one corner adjacent to Marston or was it Farands in all weathers, they were the days when every shop on the high street had a collection box on their counter these days one very really espies one and if one does it’s chained to and welded down to a fifteen kilo dumbbell.

The other day while in Asda I paid to have one but told the lady who was selling them that I didn’t want one to wear, she gave me a strange look, is it mandatory to wear one I asked myself?

Personally I think it’s up to the individual there’s enough people out there all ready telling us what to think and do without the begging bowl brigade giving strange looks for not.

Bip.

Just about every shop and pub has a box on the counter here, I picked up the money box in my local the other night and I'm pleased to say that it weighed quite heavy!!

The BL were also in Morrisons this afternoon

Normally my son goes to 2 or 3 poppy selling days with his cadet squadron, but not this year for some reason. (Though he was on 2 of the local parades today)

"Remembrance Weekend, but where are all the Poppy Sellers?"

Could be that they got no supplies as it appears every so called celeb on tv, newsreader, reporter, council official, football manager and god knows who else has been wearing one for the last month and in my opinion for the totally wrong reason, ie to be seen to being doing such and probably got foc?

Exactly so...

Most cringe-worthy example this year was the sight of the resident ITV weather bimbo (Charley?) wearing two poppies, both the size of dustbin lids!

All rather reminiscent of the Princess Di funeral syndrome - a slag one week, dead heroine the next week..."let's be seen to grieve, might be on tele etc".

Now extends to rapid wreath laying outside the home of some yob who has received his comeuppence.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 6 years later...

Happy to report the poppy sellers mostly young cadets we out in force yesterday around the City Ground for the Forest v QPR game, a bugler played Last Post before kick off, a chilling & haunting piece, so appropriate as we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lets not talk about the football.:( 

http://www.nottinghampost.com/watch-the-last-post-played-before-nottingham-forest-played-qpr/story-29870972-detail/story.html#nffc

The took the little wooden cross I bought last weekend  to the Rock Cemetery near the forest this morning,and pushed it into the ground in front of the commemorative plaque referring to my paternal grandfather was killed at Gallipoli and is buried there. 

I appreciate that it's a week early, but I like to watch the ceremony at the Cenotaph on the TV. 

• Upvote 2

When I were a small child I used to stand outside Bridgeway Hall with my Grandmother while she sold poppies,she had a lot of memories of the great war,my Grandfather being "over there" in a Bantam regiment in Ypres,she and some of the ladies down the meadows would meet up after the daily chores at home and knit socks,scarves and gloves to be sent over to the troops,the ladies would also make up food parcels to send and I have some post cards from Ypres sent to my Grandmother from my Grandfather thankning the ladies for "The tin of ham,it went down well with the boys because the canteen facilities aren't very good at the moment" understatement or what,when My Grandfather returned home to "a land fit for heroes" he found no jobs,no food and very little else,he threw his medals down the street,

If I can shake off this cold for next week I will try to get down the embankment for the service

Rog

• Upvote 2

Both my grandfathers fought in WW1, one in the Royal Artillery and one in the KRRC, along with his little brother who was blown to smithereens by a shell in front of grandad's eyes. Both were disgusted by the treatment of ex servicemen after the Armistice, especially those who were disabled.  What they would say if they could see their country now, I dread to think.

Every supermarket has poppy sellers in them but theres none in the streets in Bulwell girlvboyTravelling from Bulwell to QMC and back again today there was not one person apart from hubby and myself with a poppy on COME ON show some respect people,the trams had poppies on and so did the buses.

• Upvote 1