William Crane Secondary Boys' School

I've seen one or two of the following Willam Crane Sec Boys teachers mentioned but some of these go a bit further back than those previously mentioned.

Headmasters: Mr(Ben)Gunn. Mr Pedley (The best) Mr (Ferd)Henton (Teachers) Mr Arthur Salmon (The best teacher I ever had); Mr (Biffo) Everley; Mr Messenger; Mr Hunt; Mr Mitchell; Mr Austin Scott (American; Mr North; Mr Dryden;

Mr Hardcastle; Mr Mitchum; Mr Benson; Mr Healey; Mr Jackson; Mr Johnson; Mr (Hoppylad) Hopkins; Mr Gammons; Mr Connell.

Coupled with these, I well remember the Aspley Boys' Club under the charge of Gordon Cley (Skip). Anyone else have memories of him?

What year did you leave? My eldest brother left in 1954, Mr Gunn was his headmaster.

That would be about the time my elder brother Alan left. Mr Gunn was headmaster for a brief time after I arrived and Mr North was his deputy. I left around 1959/60. My sister Betty attended the Senior Girls school during the early fifties.

• 4 years later...

Wow, the names mentioned, I know some of them.. I went to William Crane and must admit looking at the old photos, I found it a-bit scary... Had my worst days at william crane...even aspley.. I went on Google earth to look around the streets, it seems to have got worse...I lived on Winsford close, also lived in Broxtowe, the worst time of my life was broxtowe, the people, the neigbours, it was a living nightmare...I do remember having a street party for the jubilee, the nit nurse, those were the days...boy scouts etc.... I remember Br Bean, Biology, Mr Gorgon, PE...Mrs Price, Maths, Mr Rourke, French, Mr adams, Deputy Head (Grumpy)... I can also remember the black cloaks they wore at assembly.. I do remember Mr Beam shouting at me, he was nightmare.. I could not stand the man,.. He said I would never be successsful and get on.. how wrong he was.. I now have my own business and have worked from the day I left that school.... good to look back, but found it fascinating.. like I say, They were the worst days of my life... lawrence hargreaves

My kids went to William Crane in the 1980s and Mr Adams was there. My God could he scare you if you misbehaved. Fortunately my kids were well behaved (unlike their dad when he was at school) and saw Mr Adams as a friend.

:clapping:Katyjay, great that you made it to the 'William Crane Re-union' yesterday; all the way from Arizona - what a Surprise!

I sat at a huge table surrounded by old school friends and past neighbours from Amesbury Circus - circa 1950's.

Katyjay's brother managed to snap a photograph of myself engaged in an interesting talk with Gordon Beresford on the history of family surnames.

PS: Katyjay, I gave Gordon details of 'Nottstalgia' - perhaps he may be joining us soon. Christine xx

• 2 years later...

Mention is made in an earlier posting of Austin Scott Jr, the American who was the music teacher at William Crane School. Here are two photos of the school orchestra that he founded in the early 1950s. Some other schools had an orchestra and they once competed against each other in our Albert Hall.

Austin Scott is seen in the top photo. On the extreme left is Brian Henshaw, who kindly loaned the photos. he was taking violin lessons at the time so had more experience than the others and was made orchestra leader. The tall lad on the right of Scott is Brian Austin, who gave me my nickname 'Chulla'. The orchestra eventually became the Aspley Boys Club Orchestra, and a few girls were allowed to join it.

Crane%20School%20Orch%201_zpshlbqnhez.jp

Crane%20School%20Orch%202_zpslyvswbed.jp

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/15/2017 at 3:20 PM, Chulla said:

Mention is made in an earlier posting of Austin Scott Jr, the American who was the music teacher at William Crane School. Here are two photos of the school orchestra that he founded in the early 1950s. Some other schools had an orchestra and they once competed against each other in our Albert Hall.

Austin Scott is seen in the top photo. On the extreme left is Brian Henshaw, who kindly loaned the photos. he was taking violin lessons at the time so had more experience than the others and was made orchestra leader. The tall lad on the right of Scott is Brian Austin, who gave me my nickname 'Chulla'. The orchestra eventually became the Aspley Boys Club Orchestra, and a few girls were allowed to join it.

Crane%20School%20Orch%201_zpshlbqnhez.jp

Crane%20School%20Orch%202_zpslyvswbed.jp

Chulla

Austin Scott, after protracted bullying by pupils went the the Boys High School and eventually ended up as Professor of Music at Vancouver University in Canada. He died about 5 years ago. In the first photograph 1st Viola was played by Eric Wileman who later became a composer of note. The Leader at that time was Tony Foster who became a professional Musician. He sadly died in his 30s of Cancer. The 4- eyed lad to the lower left of Austin Scott was me, David Harrison. Gordon Clay took a group of 8 (cheap party rail ticket) to an Annual Camp under canvas. First year was Tintagel, 2nd year Paris, 3rd year Bavaria, and 4th year Brittany coast. Not bad for the 50s and working class kids!

davidh2308

It's great to see your reply to an old post, but you may not be aware that Chulla - who posted the original - passed away a couple of years ago. His contributions are greatly missed by all Nottstalgians.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

On 10/5/2018 at 1:41 PM, Teresa Squires said:

Hi , I went to William crane school and left in 1980. Can anyone remember the lady teacher who had very frizzy/ curly and long red hair.  Her teeth were quite yellow / brown through smoking.

Just in case anybody still reads this (I’ve only just stumbled across this site looking for old school photos) Think the teacher was Miss Bates (also known as Rusty I think).

Welcome Ajay, did you go to Crane? If so, where did you live? I went many moons ago, before becoming mixed.  Lived on Amesbury Circus.

Katyjay, what was the summer uniform for gjrls? I recently saw a photo of my cousin, Cynthia, who was born in 1946 or 7. She lived on Paignton Close. Not sure whether she went to Crane. She seems to be wearing a blue blazer with a badge and a blue and white check skirt or dress.

Mid blue and white stripes. Navy cardigan. I'm pretty sure it was not checks, I made a striped dirndl (sp ?) skirt in needlework and a sleeveless white blouse and was allowed that for my uniform. Can't think who had blue check, Guilford and Players were green check. Blenheim was red check, as was Manning. I think Forest Felds was blue check?  That about covers local schools and 11+ schools.

It's a grainy, early colour photo and, looking again, she seems to be wearing an orange top under what looks like a school blazer so perhaps she just put the blazer over civvies.  The blazer looks navyish with a sort of oval badge on the breast pocket which looks lighter blue and white.