Favourite actors and actresses

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could never take to Robert Shaw, think he reminded me of a teacher at school. Can't stand Ray Winston, he really thinks he is an East End hard man, just like Bob Hoskins previously. Nesbit looks like

Boris Johnson - oops, sorry, wrong thread 

American favourites.........John Wayne,Clint Eastwood,Glen Ford,Randolph Scott,.........just love the old Cowboys..................

:) Sean, try emailing: Nottinghamshire County Library with your request for info. on the Nottm. Evening Post Archives; I'm sure you'll get a lead here..........

Many thanks Jackson, I hadn't thought about the Library. I wasn't too sure if it was still open. Many thanks and much appreciated.

Robert Shaw in anything (cept Force 10 From Navarone) and Sophia Loren, crap actress but with looks like that who cares!

I like Robert Shaw too. He's buried not too far from where I live in Co Mayo, Ireland. He is buried in a village called Tourmeakeady. He's still fondly remembered by some of the locals.

Oliver Reed at his best, Ray Wintone has grown on me tremeandously in the last few years.

:) Recently enjoyed the performances of two up and coming actors: Ben Whishaw and Tom Hiddleston who appeared in BBC 2's 'The Hollow Crown' (tetralogy of history plays); such refreshing talent. :)

PS: Ben Whishaw was everything I imagined Richard 11 to be - beautiful performance.

• 8 months later...

Cool hand Luke is my favorite actor + a very good race car driver met him a few times at the track he actually would come to find me.

Actually not a actor but we have a new friend that we have made recently her husband wrote the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock the Birds & a ton of other stuff (Ed McBain died in 2005 ) will be with her this weekend

I remember seeing Alistair Sim as Captain Hook in 'Peter Pan' at the Theatre Royal sometime in the early sixties. A brilliant actor at all he did!

Have said it before but as regards male actors it had to be Robert Shaw, there were some low spots, but from the first time I saw him in The Dambusters right through to Jaws and beyond he lived each part, be it a RAF fighter ace, a fanatical nazi tank commander, a cold merciless killer or a drunken boat captain you believed it, as regards a female actress (when did they become actos?) Sophia Loren, crap in most parts, but the way she looked/dressed who cares!

• Upvote 1

I like your choices, Ashley (#62). When I think of Robert Shaw, I think of the swashbuckling Dan Tempest in The Buccaneers'. It was many years ago but I can still picture the scenes in my mind. It was a fantastic programme. Regarding Sophia Loren, phew, she was so sexy beautiful. She met Carlo Ponti when she was 15 and he was twenty odd years older than her. They went on to marry and the cynics said it wouldn't last. They stayed happily together for fifty years until his death. Another actor I've always liked is Rod Steiger who made some great films.

Joan Hickson as Miss Marple, but Margaret Rutherford comes a close 2nd

And I must say my wife, because she does amateur dramatics, when I walk across her clean floor in dirty boots pieinface

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Enjoy anything that Helena Bonham Carter's in; wonder what she'll make of the role of Elizabeth Taylor, tomorrow night, 9pm, BBC4? Riveting, I expect ..............

Helen Bonham Carter is also cast as the fairy godmother in Kenneth Brannagh's Cinderella, which should be worth watching when it's released. Cate Blanchet is the wicked step mother.

David Niven was very popular when I was younger, so suave and debonair. Don't hear those 2 words much anymore!

Most likely because most people cannot spell them ,never mind know what they mean !!!

Could never take to Robert Shaw, think he reminded me of a teacher at school.

Can't stand Ray Winston, he really thinks he is an East End hard man, just like Bob Hoskins previously. Nesbit looks like an inbred with his eyebrows meeting. Sean Connery, self opinionated.

My favourites are IMHO

Ernest Borgnine, versatile and rugged.

James Stewart, utterly convincing.

Gary Cooper, dependable.

Lee van Cleef, wouldn't appear in films if he had to hit women.

Gene Hackman, formidable.

Robert Duvall, real hard man.

L Q Jones, likeable rogue.

James Coburn, suave but a hint of danger.

William Holden, tough but handsome.

Clinton Eastwood, ultimate professional.

Tom Bell, menacing but reliable.

All these actors were what my parents called " Men's men ". I used to think that can't be true, they're not poofs. (Commonly used in 60's)

Then in later life I realised that these actors were admired more for their acting skills than looks.

They are strong, resolute,versatile, loyal, dependable, invincible, fearless, resilient and more.

They are the people you would want on your side if your life depended on them. If it was "backs to the wall time".

As off actresses, I'm a bit shallow here, I've gone mainly for looks.

Michelle Pfeiffer, naturally beautiful.

Olivia Hussey. as above.

Tippi Hedren, delicate.

Jodie Foster, best actress ever.

Sandra Bullock, funny and versatile.

Jill St John, sexy.

Brigette Bardot, what legs.

Celia Imrie, good fun.

Shelley Winters, all woman.

Tea Leonine, pretty.

That's it!

• Upvote 2

Forgot two other greats, Lee Marvin and Richard Boone. They could tackle any role. Oh and also the gorgeous Kiera Knightly.

• Upvote 1

And of course Humphrey Bogart. Possibly one of the greatest of all time.

Can anyone imagine any of these asexual clones that are popular today achieving the greatness of those I have listed.

No.

And of course Humphrey Bogart. Possibly one of the greatest of all time.

Can anyone imagine any of these asexual clones that are popular today achieving the greatness of those I have listed.

No.

Yup..... Colin Farrel can certainly turn his hand to many different styles of acting, as can Orlando Bloom, and another who has achieved greatness, Johnny Depp.

OK! One or two maybe!!!!!!!!