Favourite actors and actresses

On the demise of my favorite actor (Edward Woodward) and a couple of years back my favorite actress (Dame Thora Hird) Who are your favourites?

My new ones are.........Dame Judy Dench, and for some strange reason, James Nesbit

Over to you.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could never take to Robert Shaw, think he reminded me of a teacher at school. Can't stand Ray Winston, he really thinks he is an East End hard man, just like Bob Hoskins previously. Nesbit looks like

Boris Johnson - oops, sorry, wrong thread 

American favourites.........John Wayne,Clint Eastwood,Glen Ford,Randolph Scott,.........just love the old Cowboys..................

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Cain, Clayton Moore (the lone ranger) Roger Moore. female actress: can't remember her name now but she played the dizzy and often duped teacher in the St Trinians films

Rog

Paul Henry, Meg Richardson, Richard Chamberlain, Jacqueline Pearce, Richard Bradford, John Pertwee, to name a few.....

Paul Henry, Meg Richardson, Richard Chamberlain, Jacqueline Pearce, Richard Bradford, John Pertwee, to name a few.....

Is that the alternative list Frank, Dr Kildare, the wierd Meg R etc, the useless ones, that is what you mean isn't it, surely. Like as previously stated, Robson Green, can only be, well, Robson Green, the loveable po-faced Geordie with no talent whatsoever, apart from clearly being a nice man, but, also a crap singer and he can't even fish succesfully. Some people must lick a... to get where they are, we all know that, but I find it hard that some folk are fooled by it, but thats the public for you, X Factor sums it all up.

Think you'll find the name of that ship in In which we serve was HMS Torrin, some of the early shots of it were on the Clyde with Dumbarton and it's Castle Rock clearly seen, and as that town is my wife's home one needless to say have seen that film or rather those scenes a good few times!

Don't worry Katy , it's not you , our friend just likes to turn every sensible discussion into a diatribe against , life , the universe and every thing!!

Paul henry, who played 'Benny' in Crossroads was a respected Shakespearean actor. The genius was in playing 'Benny'

As for Dumbarton, two stories here!!

The first was when I was driving for a living, way back in the late 80's, I was asked to get some labels to a bottling plant in Dumbarton, (The printers were on Curzon Street off of Huntingdon Street, looks to be flats now, according to Google Earth) They needed to be there for 6am Monday , so it was either leave at 1.00am or drive up Sunday afternoon and sleep in the cab.

Any way I decided on the latter and Duly arrived in Dumbarton around 8.00pm and proceeded to find a place park up, allowing me to refresh my self and partake of a few jars of 'Heavy' as was my want of an evening!!

Suitably refreshed I repaired to my wagon for the night, only to realise that I.

(A) didn't have my alarm clock with me and therefore wouldn't wake up for the following mornings deadline, and.

(B) I didn't have the foggiest where the bottling plant was!!! As you can see I used to get my priorities right in those days !!!!

So at around 1.00am I am driving my wagon around without trying to attract the attentions of the local bobbies and their Breathalyzer gear!! I finally found the place and came up with the brilliant idea of parking in front of the factory gates , that way getting my free alarm call too!! I eventually opened my eyes around (Horror of Horrors) 7.30am !! to find I was parked in front of a derelict ("Not used that since the 60's mate") entrance. So much for my inventiveness. On the plus side the plant had broken down the previous shift and still wasn't up and running so nobody noticed my lack of labels!!

The second story takes place in about 1990.

A mate and I had a few days off from work mid January so decided (For some silly reason) to head to Scotland for Burns night. Well Scotland must be the only place that doesn't seem to to celebrate, "our poor wee timorous beestie " etc as we had driven through Glasgow and couldn't find any thing , we finally ended up in Dumbarton looking for a Band B for the night as I had remembered how friendly the locals had been on my last visit.

I pulled over and asked a copper where I could find some digs and his reply (Seemingly) was "Bollocks!!"

Now not a man to be easily offended, and more inclined at the time, to stand my corner , I turned on the offensive young officer and asked him to repeat himself,

"Balloch" was his reply , "ats aboot 4 meels at wey" pointing over my shoulder.

Now I was unsure whether he was goading me into a fight or what so I decked him and drove off!!!

(Just a joke honest!!!!!!)

We had rather an enjoyable evening in the The Ballach House Vintage Inn, still didn't find any more out about " A braw bricht moonlicht nicht , the nicht" or how to catch the wild Haggis , but a few drams were partaken of in front of a blazing log fire whilst some local, dressed in the worst fitting excuse for the national dress (And I mean that most litterally) of Scotland , regailed us with tales of past revallries and how he was there when the Jaccobite rebellion passed this way, now I'm sure this occured sometime around 1688-1746 ,and he didn't look any where near old enough, pi55ed enough, yes, old enough, no, but it helped to pass away what was an otherwise splendid evening!!!

What this has to do with actors and actresses is beyond me but there you go!!

• Like 1

Another great actor from yesteryear was Kenneth More. He was very good and did some wonderful films. Loved 'A Night to Remember' and 'The Admirable Crichton'. OK, got me fists up, who wants to argue with that choice?

• Like 1

Another great actor from yesteryear was Kenneth More. He was very good and did some wonderful films. Loved 'A Night to Remember' and 'The Admirable Crichton'. OK, got me fists up, who wants to argue with that choice?

I have, you've forgotten about 'Reach for the Sky', I'll not forgive you for that one, and lets not forget his lovely little cameo role in 'The Battle of Britain', or his superb, laid back Britishness in 'The 39 Steps', or the Bismark, et al.

It's inevitable that we will argue about choices, isn't that what forums are all about, give and take, within reason of course.

Ashley, you are quite right about the Torrin, I read a book about the Compass Rose and it was word for word perfect for the film, I don't know whether the film was of the book or visa versa but no matter, thanks for putting me right, do you remember when Noel Coward was on watch having some cocoa when the officer that was rescued said how much he enjoyed the cocoa, Noel said "Oh it's just cocoa with a drop of sherry in it" great line, and his portrayal of the backer in "The Italian Job"

Rog

OK I forgot those films, old age you know. Reach for the Sky had a memorable part in it, where the nurse tells someone to be quiet, there's a man dying in there, and it makes him recover all the quicker when he hears that.

• Like 1

Och aye as a sassanch I used to get into all sorts of dodgy situations on my visits up there, (1960/70's) with warnings of not to go in The Black Bull, when I did found it full every night of English squaddies, even the bar maid was from Mansfield! Talking of bollocks (lots do) I ate some in Turkey! prounced as above but in reality fish (spelt Bolaks)used to be a bit of an in thing to go into Harry Ramazans English style fish bar and shout "bollack and chips" and see the look on the new first time holiday makers!

Back on subject, there are hundreds to choose from! but seeing as alot of talk is re british 1960's stars well Peter Sellars in any of the b/w comedies, plus of course Robert Shaw! as regards a female, has to be Sophia Loren, actually pretty crap actress but looking (and stripping!) like that who cares! !yowza!

(she's on Jonathan Ross show this coming friday, now aged 74!)

When I originally started this thread it was intended to be about current actors !! but hey ho , I didn't specifie it clearly enough.

And as for the oldies , yes Kenneth Moore , and of course , dear old Larry (Olivier), Johnny (Guilgud) and Bazza (Rathbone) !!