I was the DJ at the Slipper Mon Weds & Fridays, early 70's.

Saturday night was Jazz night with the likes of George Melley and many others.

Nice work! If I remember rightly, the jazz end of things in my day was run by a guy named Bill Kinnell(?) He had one arm and was fitted with a false limb, which he was reputed to chew if anyone came into his record shop (in the walk through opposite the old co-op, Parliament Street) to buy anything other than a Trad. Jazz record.

I remember walking back up Friar Lane to the office one lunchtime in the early 70's, hearing a commotion and there was his lordship George Melly striding the other way, wearing a fedora and stripey jacket, twirling his cane and loving every minute of the attention he was receiving.

I'm afraid I dislike Jazz intensly, sorry, but it's the only genre of music that I can't get my head round. My brother was well into Tradd Jazz in the late 50's early 60's, but it never did anything for me I'm afraid, I was grateful when the Beatles turned up and put an end to it's chart success.

There was a Bill at the Slipper but I dont remember him having a false arm, or being involved in a record shop?

Wis Wife Jean, with grey hair, worked the first bar near the door With Ron (welsh) on Disco nights anyway. I think they lived at Edwalton.

The owner Noel drove a big old rover? I think they were connected with the woman who owned Colemans and other places?

Was the record shop what is now Robs Record Mart?

• 1 month later...

A mate and I went to see Chris Barber's band at the Slipper a few times around 1970. In those days it was Chris on trombone, Pat Halcox trumpet, John Crocker clarinet, John Slaughter guitar, Stu Morrison banjo and guitar, Jackie Flavelle bass, Graham Burbidge drums. (Thanks to the Barber website for refreshing some brain cells). Unbelievably Pat Halcox only retired recently after 54 years with the band!

I remember the all pervading pong of hamburgers and onions from the Slipper kitchen, which overpowered the fag smoke! I also remember some of the older "traddies" in the audience getting a bit annoyed with John Slaughter when he did jazz/rock solos. "Ey up, here he goes again, he's turning them bloody knobs on his guitar". Nearly as bad as folkies.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Anyone have memories of the 'Dancing Slipper' and the 'Trent Bridge Inn' (TBI)? They had some good bands at these places during the Trad' Jazz' boom of the sixties.

Dont remember the night of the week but used to go to the Dancing Slipper to see the Jazz Trad bands.

• 2 years later...

I used to go the the Dancing Slipper in the 60's when Bill Kinnell brought over some great American jazz artists. I remember seeing Ben Webster..too drunk to play and Earl "fatha" Hines, the great new orleans jazz pianist. This was the best jazz venue next to Ronnie Scotts. Anyone remember the Gallery on Carlton Hill. I remember seeing Tubby Hayes play there.. Also the Town Arms on Trent Bridge, Don Rendell and Ian Carr used to play gigs there.....

The Dancing Slipper was an exellent jazz venue in times gone bye and I had some great nights there. Regarding George Melly (#2) his gig was a full house and it was a great night. He's not the best singer in the world but his presence and charisma on stage was something else. In the 60's and 70's there were lots of pubs with jazz bands and they were always well attended. In those days, quite a lot of pubs had bands whether they were jazz, rock or any other genre. The Running Horse had some great blues nights and I've been thinking of paying them another visit.

• 11 years later...

The first gig I went to was Terry Lightfoot at the TBI. Dad took me.

I went to the Dancing Slipper several times and like edthefolkie above, I too was a huge fan of the Chris Barber band. That band line up as quoted was one of the very best.  I remember requesting Jackie Flavelle singing 'Gotta Travel On'. It got a huge round of applause. Jackie rejoined the band in later years right up until he too passed away. (Another heavy smoker).

John Crocker was from West Bridgford and I think, the only survivor of that band and sadly his wife from Mapperley, passed away last year. 

In early 2000, the Barber band made its one and only visit to NZ (with the Kenny Ball band) and as an importer of their CDs, we hooked into the tour. We got to know all the band members very well, plus the Road manager and sound engineer, and caught up with them in Holland and Germany later in the year. 

Pat Halcox rang us the Christmas before he passed away. A real gentleman.

There are several recordings made at the Slipper.  One recently released CB recording (Lake Records) was 1963 at the Co-op's Elizabethan Rooms where I believe the crowd was larger than for the Beatles!

John Slaughter (blues guitar) did put some old died in the wool traddies off, but he was extremely talented and a lovely man who sadly died in 2010 of throat cancer (another smoker...).

Chris Barber never stood still musically, thank goodness, which is why he was so popular for so long.  I'm proud that we were on first name terms and his legacy is a massive catalogue of great music. John Crocker was with the band for 30 years and even managed to mention 'Nottingham!' in the wonderful skat version of 'Ice Cream' recorded at The Barbican in London.

Trad may not be everyone's cup of tea, but neither is modern jazz, opera or RAP.  

• Like 3

Just found this thread...love a bit of Jazz...although i'm no 'Aficenado' have always enjoyed it when i'm in the mood.......not Jazz clubs but thought i'd stick any Jazz favourites on this thread.......

Used to enjoy the ''Bell'' sunday lunch-times plus a Pub one evening a week...on Toton Lane Stapleford...forgot its name....

I'm told even the 'Ruskies' enjoy ''Midnight in Moscow''

My favourite piece of 'Jazz'........played it before.....but worth another hearing..........Dave Brubeck...''Take Five''

I haven't been there (not my musical thing), but I know someone who's been there often. It mainly depends on your musical taste.

The atmosphere and ambience seem to be pretty good - but drinks/food are perhaps a bit more expensive than a 'normal' pub/club.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The Bob Hudson Trio had a regular Sunday night spot at the Green Dragon at Oxton.

This is one of the videos I put together for Bob Hudson after he had written some music called the Robin Hood Suite back in 2000.  He is a pal of my elder brother who plays trombone on this.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Ah, you must be Bob Wilson's brother then.

Guilty as charged ! Though I'm not a particular jazz fan :)

I used to work with Bob Hudson. He was our company accountant and secretary. He’s a clever chap. A Chartered Accountant and he took a BA In music whilst he was with us. He was an important member of our team. He relieved me from my financial duties so I could spent more time on the factory floor getting hands on with the machinery and production matters. 

• Like 1