Far from being a local expat I believe the Burntstump Inn, Arnold, do a pensioners special menu on Tuesday and a Wednesday.

On a Thursday evening they have a Pensioners curry night between eight and nine o-clock, I have been to the late evening one Thursday but had to leave Diezel tied up outside, apparently they have a strict rule regarding dogs, but a word of warning they don’t take kindly to Zimmer frames.

If one is visually impair one may ask for the brail menu.

There’s also a dedicated disabled section to their car park which I found very convenient even thou I wasn’t a blue badge holder at that particular time.

Bip.

Will you two please grow up and knock it off. Between you, you are destroying this board. I know that I, for one, am fed up with your crap. I am sure many others feel likewise.

Merely responding to the typical string of insults which arose from my bona fide and innocuous question.

Am I to remain silent under such vicious provocation?

Cheers

Robt P.

Merely responding to the typical string of insults which arose from my bona fide and innocuous question.

Am I to remain silent under such vicious provocation?

Cheers

Robt P.

When I read Rob 237 reply to an innocent post of mine I was very tempted to reply stating my case but thought better of it only because if I did I would be accused of ageism, but if you would like to read my first response I can post it.

I will let the powers that be sort this one out; I shall let them decide which one of the two posts is more of an insult to whom or as Rob 237 puts it “ vicious provocation to a bona fide innocuous question or my innocuous helpful reply to his….

I’ll say no more because I have my blog to write and now Diezel to bathe.

Bip.

C'mon Bip, Rob was asking a simple question and you responded in a provocative way, it wasn't 'An innocent post',what sort of reply did you expect, end of story. I know that you are feeling agrieved at the moment, but Limey is right, and it's all going to end in tears again, or perhaps you think that I'm acting as Devils Advocate.

So where is there a decent pub in that area, somebody?

Well done Den.

You've just swung it for me , I'm going to take the kids to ours tonight (Brewers Fayer , I think) There's is £3.50 too!!

Denshaw,

Thanks for reminder, I'd quite forgotten the Seven Mile House...we'll try the Carvery.

Haven't been in there since the early 80's, back in my Hucknall days.

Cheers

Robt P.

£3:50 for carveries, blooming good, so why do people keep going to MacDonalds, their hideous, patronising current advertising campaign does make me think that they might be, hopefully, in trouble, what do you lot think of them, we think that they are appalling, but unfortunately they've become part of a way of life in kids eyes.

I've just checked on your little search engine and my local is a Crown Cavery, fantastic value we find.

I am awaiting the opening of the first eatery from the US chains Chilli's or Aplebees?

Chilli's is O.K., but Applebees gets a little boring. Only problem with Chilli's is there very limited draught beer selection - typically Sam Adams, Bud, and about 3 "lite" beers!

Perhaps a business opportunity Mick?

C'mon Bip, Rob was asking a simple question and you responded in a provocative way, it wasn't 'An innocent post',what sort of reply did you expect, end of story.

Exactly!

We have had good luck at the Waggon & Horses on Mansfield Road at the bottom of Redhill (you can see the house I was born in from the car park!). Nothing fancy - but decent food at a fair price.

I always get lost that side of town The Springfield Inn at Lowdham on my last visit was top notch.

The Hand in Heart on Derby Road 10/10 for a Sunday Lunch - belly pork recommended.

The carvery @ The Riverside farm where Harry Ramsden’s used to be , is also not bad for a cheapo.

Thanks for your further suggestions...

We've tried the 'Waggon & Horses', and the one lower down the hill?, same side.

I've done the Lowdham trio before - rather an out and back x 2, as my compatriot has no transport.

So, after the 'Seven Mile House' - as I indicated - we'll perhaps give the 'Lambley' a go.

AA Gill type critique to follow !hungr!

Cheers

Robt P.

Those last two places you recommend Red aren’t near Redhill or Arnold so I don’t think they will serve Rob 666 for a cheap hearty but satisfying meal out.

My recommendation of the Burntstump is looking the favourite at the present.

But if Rob 666 is ever over this end of the city I can recommend the White house on Tamworth road, it’s rather a posh looking place but don’t let the palatial exterior or interior put one off, their meals are excellent and they do have a special menu for certain days of the week …example two courses for ten squid, you would be surprise how many pensioners gather in its cloisters with there crumpled ten squid in sticky damp hands…….

The Harrington arms are more or less next-door but I wouldn’t recommend that place.

The head Honcho and I ventured there one damp evening only because he was feeling lonely for being left in the house on his own by his live in partner, he had the stew which he said was fantastic, I settled for the chicken which I found disappointing, not been there since, besides the beer is crap, green king you see.

Bip.

Thanks denshaw...

Enjoyed an excellent pub lunch at the Seven Mile House, viz:

Carvery + Sweet + Coffee x 3 = £14.75!

To coin a phrase: "We'll go there again..."

Cheers

Robt P.