Brantano shoe shop

Just been down town to take a pair of shoes back to Brantanoes, for the second time.

I purchased them last Wednesday for a 'Do' on Thursday, I only tried the right one on in the shop as it felt fine I didn't bother with the other!! as I put them on on Thursday night the lace snapped on the left shoe!! I promptly returned them Saturday morning and the woman in the shop gave me a funny look, as if I didn't know how to tie shoes up!! after much messing around , waiting for another member of staff to 'come down stairs' so she could see if there was a replacement pair available in the back, lots of huffing and puffing (Including giving her my post code twice and my name and address) I was given a replacement pair. I went to put them on yesterday afternoon and one of the little metal eyelet things pulled straight out of the leather!! before I had even pulled it tight enough to tie. As I say I went back today with them and saw the same assistant , I told her exactly what happened and told her I didn't want a replacement pair as these were obviously a sub standard make and could I have my money back please??

I then heard one of the daftest things I have ever heard, " Have you been miss handling them??"

What ??? as I pointed out to the patronising git , I have been wearing shoes for something like 48 years now and am pretty sure I know how to put them on by now !!

After another bout of huffing and puffing she eventually gave in and gave me my money back. (After I had given her my name, address and post code twice again)

What are shops (Especially these big chains) teaching their staff these days?? I thought "The customer was always right" not

"Let's insult their inteligence and see if they walk out with taking their money back!!"

Old adage beefy mate and one that still rings true even with Japanese goods, “one gets what one pays for’

Please don’t take what I say below as personal, you didn’t mention the price you paid for the shoes…..

For many years I’ve been buying cheep shoes, JJs is the place to go if one doesn’t want a shoes that will last your life time, if one leaves one assistance dog outside [that’s presuming one has one] and shows ones bus pass one gets a discount, the discount will vary from town to town, you being a young un I doubt very much if you would, but one can only ask.

The only time now I will buy a pair from them is for that particular purpose knowing full well they aren’t going to be in my wardrobe forever, basically wear until dirty then throw in recycle bin or one could pop them in a Charity bag for a deprived teenager in Kenya to wear.

The last pair of shoes I bought were from Armstrong mills here in damp Sawley, they are a pair of “Hush Puppies” a registered name I believe, they are brilliant and dead comfy too. I’ve have them for over six months and I ware them every time I go out which is often but not as often as I use too, not now I have found true love once more.

Sorry you have had a bad experience but I refer you to the adage above…

Bip.

They were a pair of "Clarkes" and were reduced from £70 to £40 in their sale, not a poor pair , because I always tend to have a named brand , what wouldn't suprise me is that they are using cheap 'copy' imports and sticking official "Clarkes " labels on them

Welcome to the world of Chinese made crap!

I think you will find Clarkes are made in the far east somewhere. As to Chinese made "crap" - I think that is a little overstatement - a lot of the stuff that comes out of China is actually excellent quality - almost all the cell phones for example, as well as almost all Apple products.

Generally - you get what you pay for - so I am surprised at a Clarkes product being badly made. Mary buys them when she can get a deep discount and has found them very good shoes.

Interestingly, over here, it is the chain stores that typically have the most accomodating return policies - many are "no questions asked". A few will only give store credit, but most will give a refund without batting an eyelid. I suspect they have realized that a happy customer is more valuable than a lost sale!

To that respect I find Costco fantastic, I have had cause to take a few items back and have never heard a single quibble from them, I always strut in ready for an argument but am always dissapointed !!!.......LOL especially as it's only three or four times a year that I get in there (Cause it's a long drive away, I have to justify the carbon footprint and the petrol expence, by making sure it's worth the trip in the first place) so every thing I return has usually been in my mits for at least 3 months before it is returned!!.

That’s another who agrees with the General saying of “you get what one pays for.

But in your case you must have got a duff pair, one most likely distained for the American market, were they both right footed? Only ask because the yanks drive on the right.

The “Hush Puppies” I have, even after six months of ware don’t show any amount or tire ware…. still good tread.

I believe once we here in sunny Nottingham had one of those shops down were the Lenton industrial estate is, the last time I passed that way it had gone, there is a Carpet shop there now I believe.

Maybe the whole shop from Nottingham got re-sited [moved] to where you bought those shoes from and took all their duff stock with them..just a thought.

I have seen old shoes used as planters, now that's an idea!

Bip.

Does that confirm that Den has two left feet?

Just been and bought a new pair (£15 ) and they are just about the most comfortable shoes I have ever had!!! nice thick grippy soles , just in time for this thick frost , to which we woke up to this morning.