The Internet predicted in 1969!

I'll watch them later, haven't fully woke up yet! I got on line about 94, fastest connection speed back then was 28kbs! There were some lucky buggers on 33kbs, but they were the exception. Two choices of browsers, Netscape Navigator and MS Internet Explorer which wasn't user friendly! I did a speed check of my connection and found it to be around 14kbs and complained to my ISP. A tech got back to me and said it wasn't them but our telephone company, ie analogue to digital exchanges, he had the same problem in his own location and could only get a connect speed of around 9kbs!!! When we moved here, our DD line was 55kbs, how fast! Now I'm on DSL, still slow by most connections at 1.5mbs to 2.0mbs depending how many users are on locally.

I must have been an early starter - around 1989! Originally with Compuserve, then Prodigy (Plodigy) - the first "graphical" interface. All on dial-up originally at 14.4! Didn't get high speed until around 1998 via cable! In the intervening years I used AOL - and am happy to be away from those robbing barstewards! Still on cable at home, DSL at work (supposed to be upgraded to T1 this week!).

Incredible Mick, where did you find that piece of film. I remember in 1969 I was at college and had to suffer an hour of 'computer training' every week, this was all binary programming, I think it was called Algol, we had to go and put on white jackets and peer at the Portsmouth Poly computer, it was all reel to reel tapes and like something out of a second rate science fiction film, none of us had a clue what we were doing, and we'd all done A Level maths, I don't think that the lecturer did either, perhaps things should have stayed that way.

If you think about it, that film was made in the year of the first moon landing where I think that the highly advanced, no expense spared, Apollo computer had massively less intelligence than the average pocket calculator of today.

Happy Days??

We were with a large growing ISP in Sacramento and in the throes of setting another server in the Bay area. Within two years they had set another server up in LA. Their main setup boasted three huge AC plants, one as stand by and two in use, two main support generators should power fail, I forget how big the main server floor was, but was huge. They must have poured millions into that set up.

• 1 year later...

And it still seems to be going

Used or abused by billions of people worldwide.

We realise as soon as we are cut off from it how much we rely on it!

The nottingham Building Society offered the UK's first online banking system in 1983 see link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelink

It was way before its time and it was underused. All these years later and The Nottingham (my employer since 1994) still doesnt offer online banking! (Thats probably why they are still standing in this wobbly banking world!!)

Thats when I became a member of The Nottingham.

I had one of those little keyboards.

Jelly Baby keys like the Sinclair Spectrum as I remember, Used it once.

Dunno what happened to it? I never threw it away.

Perhaps they self distruct?

I did go in to see the Nottingham's All Market Financial Advisor,

and he will be dealing with my Investment Portfolio :)