"Eveninks and morninks, I drink Warnicks"

How on earth do they make Egg Nog last so long?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires

upload foto online

Jill   I just cannot recall those decorations at Berridge, but that just must be my memory. In fact I cannot recall Christmas at all there!    I do recall Christmas at Bobbers Mill

As mentioned earlier, my dad would have a Mackeson at Christmas,(Only time of year he took a drink) but there was always a bottle of Warninks in "The drinks cupboard" at Christmas time, and we always had a glass of Snowball to see in the new year (Even from a very early age) but that was it, the result , a crusty necked bottle of Warninks in "The drinks cupboard" the following year !!

Whilst I'm at it, Dubonet, Babycham, and Advokaat, did we drink them at times other than Christmas/ New year???

Whilst I'm at it, Dubonet, Babycham, and Advokaat, did we drink them at times other than Christmas/ New year???

Not to my knowledge - but I did date a girl that only drank Babycham! Like you, when I was a "young 'un" my dad only drank at Christmas - he was famous for coming home drunk on Christmas Eve (a drink with his mates)! I believe the real reason we only had drinks at Christmas was because, in those days, we simply could not afford them!

In fact, until I was about 12, we had chicken for Christmas dinner - it was a VERY big deal when we could finally afford a turkey - but, to me, it tasted like chicken anyway - I was very disappointed!

I remember when chicken was a luxury, and I was jealous of my friend across the road when they had a chicken for dinner. We had to do with beef or lamb or pork, which obviously was much cheaper. How times have changed. I think we had chicken for Christmas dinner as a treat. I don't ever remember having a turkey, I think goose was more popular as a Christmas dinner.

I remember having a Capon one year (Castrated Cock ,,,Ouch!!) it was the biggest bird I had ever seen up to that point , and I remember my mum nearly in tears, as when it was cooked most of it was still in the pan as fat !!! I remember her saying " A quid for the bloody bird ,and 10 bob of it gone down the bloody drain" (and my mum never swore either!!!)

Advokaat, Advokaat, Warnicks Advokaat. We have a bottle in our bar just in case I get the urge for a Snowball. Had to bring it back from the UK as we've never seen it over here.

!englandflag! The song (one line of it) "fresh egg yolks, good for folks, Warnincks Advocat!! Must have had a fair bit of alcohol in it, to preserve the fresh egg yolks, 'cos me mam had a bottle for about 10 years !cheers!

Talking of Christmas decorations can you remember the packs of multi coloured paper

strips that you folded back and glued the ends to make a chaim.

And the paper bells anc Chritmas trees that opened like a book an either fastened to the wall

or opened them 360 degrees and they made a paper bell or three which you hung from the ceiling?

don't know if it is an age thing.......but been in town today and it doesn't look very festive, just drab and lifeless

Not worth putting up too many decorations,they would probably be used as missiles and weapons! (Imagine 3 or 4 opposing lots of demonstrators and a fairly local football derby). However if the example of a couple of years back is repeated ,the Square will look terrific.

Talking of Christmas decorations can you remember the packs of multi coloured paper

strips that you folded back and glued the ends to make a chaim.

And the paper bells anc Chritmas trees that opened like a book an either fastened to the wall

or opened them 360 degrees and they made a paper bell or three which you hung from the ceiling?

Our kids have just been making the 'paper chains' and I have golden bells and trees which I still 'trim up ' with every year!!!

I still have a glass bauble but it doesn't go on the tree any more, it comes out the box, gets looked at, then put away again till next year!! the reason being?? I used to have half a dozen that were my Mamas, then I had kids , (Can you see where this is going ???)

I always used to love christmas when i was very young.As my birthday is boxing day we always had a big party with all the family and i used to look forward to my eldest brother and his wife (sadly both no longer with us)coming over from oldham street off carlton road then later when they moved to clifton. I have still got a lovely photo of my 5th birthday party with family and friends on. Later when i left home we used to always go to brother in law and sister in laws on shelford road in gedling where they put on really fun parties,getting dressed up and playing games. Christmas is not the same now the kids have left home and got families of their own but they cant take your memories away.(thank god )

Much collective finger wagging from my grandchildren to express their disgust at my 9" Christmas tree and my habitual horizontal stacking of received cards. Threats in place to "sort it out" this year...I await their first move, with trepidation.

Cheers

Robt P.

We already have one of those all singing and dancing houses up and running in Braintree, complete with inflatable Santas, reindeer, snowmen looking like Marshmallowman out of Ghostbusters, more lights than Wembley Stadium, jumpers for goal posts etc, etc, each to his own, I'm just glad I don't live next door to them.

Trying to make a grown man cry?

Katyjay and beafsteaks post really bought back memories of being a nipper through the 50's and early 60's.

And the Bako set. I had one. How I wish I could find a picture on the web.

Our Christmases would be spent at home in Nottingham or in Norfolk with our Aunt Rube, Uncle Stan and Cousins John, Stephen and later Michael. Them and other members of the family.

So one year mum, dad, my sister Deb and I would go to Great Yarmouth on a Trent coach from coach station on Huntingdon St.

What a journey. Six hours in this usually too cold or too hat coach doing about forty miles an hour tops, plus that ever present smell of diesel! I alway seemed to be right over the heater so no room for my feet. That or burnt legs!!

The two stops.

One at Donnington and the other at Little Fransham, a few miles from Norwich. Both freezing and the stay far too long.

Then there's the likelihood that my sister would need the coach stopped so she could get off and chuck up.

The next year would be the turn of the grand exit of Norfolk as they came over to ours.

That said, all worth it. I'd rather be that kid again…

Bayko! I "inherited" a huge box of the stuff from friends of my parents - loved it! I could actually build the biggest house in the book - with stuff left over. Including driveway, garden fence, the whole lot! When I left home, I donated it to one of the neighbours kids - but I wish I still had it all!

However, my favorite was Meccano!

mech1.gif

I remember having some stuff called "Betta Builder" which worked like Lego but wasn't compatible with it.White building bricks, roofs similar to thay Bayco stuff which was what prompted the memory recall!

Someone was on about pork pie for Xmas day brekkie; me old man always had this (Pork Farms of course)and insited it was traditional. Never come across it outside Notts though.

Is that the No 3 set Mick, my brother had that for Xmas one year, he's still got it plus the additional bits that he got later. He also picked up another one from a boot sale a few years ago for a fiver.

Best thing about Bayko was that it didn't go rusty like Meccano did, hours of fun on Xmas day without getting in mothers way as well.

I remember my brother getting a Mamod stationary steam engine one Xmas, quite a posh one with a whistle. We were banned from trying it in the kitchen as mother was fussing about getting dinner ready, we weren't allowed in the shed either as the old man was concerned it might blow up and set the damn place on fire. We ended up in the back yard and guess what, it snowed, I recall a big wet patch round this thing as it merrily chuffed away until the meths burner ran out. A few years down the line and it did blow up when the safety valve jammed, the end of the boiler shot off down the garden, quite impressive, I've still got the remains in my shed.

You might be interested in what I just retrieved from the shed then Mick:-

mamod001.jpg

This is the one that blew up, looks like in more than one place.

mamod002.jpg

This is one I got myself later, I believe it still works, perhaps I'll clean it up and try it out on Xmas day.