• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires

upload foto online

Jill   I just cannot recall those decorations at Berridge, but that just must be my memory. In fact I cannot recall Christmas at all there!    I do recall Christmas at Bobbers Mill

No problem guys - you can still buy Mamod steam engines - made in England too!

I bet, if you called them, you could buy a replacement boiler!

RWK, I tried accessing the board from Turkey with an Ipod, Nightmare!

You can still buy Mamod stuff?

Surely not! Modern kids WOULD blow themselves up!

Somebody has to win those Darwin Awards! !rotfl!

Amazingly, Mamod are alive and well and still making their products in the UK rather than China, or so they say.

They must be the last of the old school of 1950's 'Toys for Boys', Meccano is now French, Hornby and Airfix have gone through so many changes, but Mamod seem to have soldiered on, perhaps they rely on people like my brother, who aquired their steamroller one Xmas, maybe it turned into an adult thing of memories and saved the company, they are pretty unique after all.

Does anyone remember a white christmas? (no racist jokes please!)

I don't, nearest I got was one boxing day night, had stopped at granma's on Noel Street then gone in Carlton Hotel with dad, would have been pre 1959, walking back up North Gate at what seemed very late to me but prob before midnight all the snow was untouched not a tyre mark or footprint in it, all was silent too until we got to I think Palm Street where some teenagers were letting off fireworks

1971 was a very white Christmas, snow falling very heavily all day. I had my first bike and it was tremendous fun trying to ride it in a blizzard!!!

We spent Xmas at a village up in the mountains near Camarthen in 1993, the entire Nottingham branch of the family came down and we rented the old rectory and it's converted barn. It was snowing when I arrived and it turned into a blizzard on Xmas eve. Xmas morning and all the kids looked out the window, saw really deep snow and were dumbfounded. Forget the presents, they were sledging down the hill, building snowmen and having snowball fights, this was what Xmas is all about. I remember snow in years past, but apart from Edwinstowe in 1957, this was something else.

I recall 71 Beefsteak, we went on the razzle around town on Xmas eve, ending up crashing a club. There was a hell of a blizzard that night, we had a massive snowball fight with a bunch of Greabos on Ilkeston Road and ended up carrying each other back home to Radford and Wollaton, we were so pissed we could hardly stand up, good old boys they were, talk about a good laugh, one of those great moments in life.

After the most extensive research (5 mins in Wikipedia!) The best I can ascertain is that :- Between 1950 and 2006 , Birmingham has had 20% white christmas's whatever that means , which years ?, it doesn't say!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas#White_Christmases_in_the_United_Kingdom

It was snowing when we got married, Christmas eve, Gretna Green, 1998' the snow was going sideways in the strong northerly "gale" and it was the coldest I have ever known, nice roaring fire in the Gretna hotel though

Rog

It's snowing here right now! I would much prefer it was snowing THERE, and not here! Took me 45 minutes to drive 12 miles this morning!

Well, we can't compare to that Katyjay, but the Met Office are predicting snow in the north and east of the UK next week, starting down here on monday, no doubt that will mean a couple of inches of snow that will bring the country to a standstill as it did last February.

feb2snow020-1.jpg

To our American friends:

A balmy 65 here in GA yesterday. Close to freezing overnight.

Now if it would just stop raining for a while we could trade in our webbed feet.

You could always move to Atlanta if you can stand the +%#$@*!!!! traffic.

We had several forecasts of snow, but just got bloody bitterly cold weather.

Just nipped up to Saisburies and back in thick fog!!!

Brings back memories of those "pea souper" type fogs of the fifties and sixties. Often around Christmas. Couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Buses stopped running etc. They were no fun.

We always had a home made Christmas pudding, complete with money in it. Watch your teeth! It was silver threepenny bits when I was little, then sixpences after that. Christmas cake always had a frilled paper band around it, with a Christmas tree, robin, holly etc stuck in the top. I used to pick the marzipan out from under the icing, as I didn't like the texture. Now, I could eat the whole block!

We had several forecasts of snow, but just got bloody bitterly cold weather.

I remember the time when the fire place in our house at Aspley heated a cast iron oven at the side. Our 'hot water bottle' was the shelf from this oven wrapped in a towel.