• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires

upload foto online

Jill   I just cannot recall those decorations at Berridge, but that just must be my memory. In fact I cannot recall Christmas at all there!    I do recall Christmas at Bobbers Mill

Going out on Christmas eve and always (Seeming to get) a bit of tonsil hockey action in whatever night club we ended up in !

More snogs in one night than I get in year as a married man

Happy days

Born in 1960 my early Christmas memories go the pillow case stocking route-never liked sugar pigs though.

If memory serves me right my parents had regular beer deliveries back then. Certainly dad had cans (larger) adorned with bikini clad babes.

Later married/divorced with children I loved the Christmas prep'. Always a real tree the presents underneath a tryumph of hard work and savings.

Nest empty I spent a memorable Christmas at a Franciscan Friary in Northumberland. 6am Mass on Christmas Day sun rising and Brothers singing was beautiful.

A few Christmass with No 2 or playing the who's having mum this year game and it was time for new traditions.

Christmas Eve 2008 Peacock Mansfield Rd. Me to friend "there's a service about to start at St Peter's. Shall we go.

Since then it's been St Mary's-Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. Back to mine food, drink and presents. Last year a Japanese friend joined us.

I don't believe in God or Santa Claus.

But

I love Christmas.

I

• Upvote 1

:) Michael, thanks for the photograph of the 'Corona' man @ #130; he was one of our regular delivery men, delivering two bottles a week - always Dandelion and Burdock and Limeade.

PS: Works of Art those 'Corona' bottles - too bad there wasn't a penny on them at the local shops when we kids were desperate for sweets! :)

For many years we had roast chicken for our Christmas dinner and thought it was a treat! I think I was about 9 or 10 before we could afford a turkey - and to be honest, I still can't tell the difference! It is amazing to me that chicken is now the "cheap" meat!

Actually, turkey here is pretty cheap too!

• Upvote 1

I remember my mum waking me extra early to get into town before the crowds, telling me off if i took my scarf or hat off because i got too warm, We used to go into little woods for breakfast before it was changed into primark, i miss going for brekkie with my mum! I was also taken to see santa one year, its one year i allways remember, there was a walk through and i remember reindeer (robotic ofcourse) in their stables, then we went into a room to see santa. Took my daughter to see santa at the weekend at floralands and im certain thats where i was taken as a kid,... i must remember to ask about that.

Christmas day was allways good, my poor mum would spend all day in the kitchen making sure everyone had a good meal, and then id pull a strop because i lost at a family game and ruin it all for everyone...lol!!

• Upvote 1

For many years we had roast chicken for our Christmas dinner and thought it was a treat! I think I was about 9 or 10 before we could afford a turkey - and to be honest, I still can't tell the difference! It is amazing to me that chicken is now the "cheap" meat!

Actually, turkey here is pretty cheap too!

Never liked turkey, not sure if its how my mum cooked it but i allways found it to be dry! So i allways had chicken. This year iv managed to grab myself a 3/4 bird roast from aldi for £10, hopefully i dont kill us all on christmas day from food poisening.

The best way to keep it moist is to cook it upside down, ie with the flat bottom on top. If you can, stuff it with a whole onion and an orange. That was all the juices drain into the breast and not vice versa.

we always were took to burtons arcade then on to the square to see the tree and the mangerthem up to the old central market to see santa doo some shopping and of course the pot of hot mussy peas and mint sauce. befor going across the rd to catch bus home.

christmas day at our house we had a goose or a turkey cooked on topbof the old range ovenas it was two big to go in the oven itself so would be put on long before we got up. but with all our lot it had to be big. any left overs would be eaten cold the next dayas sandwiches or with egg and chips. and bread and butter always enjoyed it more this way than on christmas day itself.

Ice Cream Soda.......................Ginger Beer..........................Irn Bru, made in Scotland ..........from Girrrrders..............

They should do "Barrs" for 'false advertising', and misrepresentation , Irn Bru was made in Mansfield at a factory on Great Central Road, I used to deliver there in the 90's

slywink

• Upvote 1

... and it didn't have any girders innit either!

My God it's also probably sold over here too.....

... and it didn't have any girders innit either!

Reminds me of the story about a gentleman who came from an island just to the west of Britain. Well this chap went for an interview at a building firm (as many such gentlemen used to do). The foreman asked him "Can you tell me the difference between a girder and a joist?" After thinking for a moment, the said interviewee replied, "Ah well, sure I can. Girder wrote Faust, and Joist wrote Ulysses."

• Upvote 2

I though the US equivalent was Root Beer, another strange drink.

My favorite is Doctor Pepper, only quite recently available here.

Must check ASDA Wal-Mart here to see if they stock their version

'Dr Thunder'

Back to Christmas

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...