• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires

upload foto online

Jill   I just cannot recall those decorations at Berridge, but that just must be my memory. In fact I cannot recall Christmas at all there!    I do recall Christmas at Bobbers Mill

My hot water bottle as s kid was a pot one. Round with a flat bottom, and a stopper of some kind in the hole on top.

Me mams still got one of those, if I go up to stay and it's cowd, she still puts it in the bed to make sure it's aired even though she's now got central heating!!

Just been reminded by the wife of one christmas memory! not sure of the year, 1980's I guess? I worked on the nottingham district heating scheme and this christmas was on call out/stand by. Christmas that year fell funny as regards rubbish collection which they burnt at eastcroft to heat over 5,000 homes on st annes etc so had a big stockpile outside, couple of days before christmas loads of wet snow soaked such and they were not able to generate enough heat from such on christmas day, over that day and boxing day I got over 360 calls from residents! most effing and blinding "this f******** system etc etc" and worst of it was because nothing could be done I didn't get call out fee's! in the end it was phone off the hook and went to the pub! the firm bought wife a bunch of flowers for the trouble!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a quick memory jog re Christmas afternoon at Grandma and Grandpas' . Although they weren't 'Well off' we always got 'Wade Whimsy's' Christmas crackers. Do you know the ones I mean?? they had the hat, snap, joke and a small porcelain ornament of an animal, of some sort, I had a Hedgehog once, a dog , a cat, allsorts really, which I treasured for years,they sat by the side of my bed right through my adolescents, until one day my mum in her infinite wisdom decided to give them to a 'jumble sale' . I saw some on The Antiques Roadshow" or other such programme recently, and found they are worth a bloody fortune now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks mum cheers.gif

I remember having some stuff called "Betta Builder" which worked like Lego but wasn't compatible with it.White building bricks, roofs similar to thay Bayco stuff which was what prompted the memory recall!

Someone was on about pork pie for Xmas day brekkie; me old man always had this (Pork Farms of course)and insited it was traditional. Never come across it outside Notts though.

I used to live on St Anns Well Road near Bramleys the pork butcher, and pork pie was always for tea on a Friday night. At Christmas time there was always a large one ordered specially. Now living in Australia I made a point of making pork pies for several years running - and they were always popular especially with english friends here. Had a go at doing just one this Christmas and it has almost gone.

What happenend there then ?? I wrote a post about the making process of 'show pies' and sausage rolls , and posted it (It was rather a long one and had taken about half an hour to type) and it's bloody dissapeared again !!!!!!

I think the BBS software is pork-product intolerant! rotfl.gif

• 1 month later...

I remember in West Bridgford there used to be a lovely big Christmas Tree in the Car Park by the libary. We all used to sing carols round it the night it was lit up. Also going round WB with my friends caroling. We made a fortune. The Christmas Tree in the market square was lovely as going to see Santa in Griffins. In those days the pantomine used to be at the Empire and there was always Ice Pantomines at the Ice Stadium.

Guest Flatcap Driver Rides Again

'christmas memories of nottingham' You say!

Its well over so, shurrup about it.

Not much fun anyday for Old Flatcap alone in his flat at Bestwood!

and thats what I say!

T'was Christmas eve in the Medders

The snow was raining fast

A bare-footed man with clogs on

Came slowly running passed

He turned a straight crooked corner

To see a dead donkey die

He took out his pistol to stab it

And it kicked him one right in the eye.

Alison

First time for everything.

And that's what I say !!

I wonder if there are other regional variations on this rhyme, in our house it was

It's Spring time in the Rockies,

the snow was raining fast

a barefooted man with clogs on

came slowly running past

he turned a straight crooked corner

saw a dead dog die

he took out his knife and shot it

and sent it bow legged in one eye !!

Our variation:

One fine day in summer

The snow was raining fast

A barefooted man with clogs on

Came slowly belting past

He turned a dead straight corner

And saw a dead donkey die

So he pulled out his sword and shot it

And the donkey spat in his eye.

• 2 months later...
iknow that christmas is now a long time gone nearly 5months already time certainly dose fly as you get older. but just catching up on this site and found this post so thought I would and some of my own memories mostly I have good ones although times were always hard in our family we never really went without much myself and my younger brother I surpose were a lot luckier than the older ones in the family as by the time i was six or seven most of then were out at work and earning a wage wich made things easier than when they were little plus of course they were born just prior or during the war and many things were on ration by the time we got to the age we could realy enjoy christmas rationing had finished so things were easier in that respect too.Memories of christmases when we were younger were that we had a stocking and a pillow case and usaly a big present as well, in our stocking was always an apple a orange nuts a coin in the toe usually a sixpence sugar mice sugar pigs chocolate mice and a few boiled sweets if we were lucky we got a bar of chocolate as well in it. In the pillow case would be crayons paint box colouring book annuals a reading book a sketch pad a selection box and small gifts from our only aunt and uncle and my mums cousins who we always called aunt and uncle and usally our next door nighbour always gave us something usually this was something one or the other of them had made for us they were polish and came over here after the war they had no children of their own as they had both died in a concentration camp and she had been forcible sterelized in the camp so could never have any more after the war was over there would be wooden toys rag dolls and always a beatiful painted eggs we would get these again at easter but painted with diferent designs how I wish we had looked after them beter as they would be a real collectors dream today .Then downstairs for breakfast dad would always do a fry up for us all and then into the other room to opn your big present one year it was a silercross pram with a baby doll insidemumand dad had brought the pram and my sisters had broght the doll and made its clothes and the sheets and blankets i had a lot of fun with that untill the lad next door pinch it and took it on the muck hills and ruined the suspention by riding in it another year I got a cinderella watch with a pink strap because I had learnt to tell the time. While we were playing with our new things mum would be in the kitchen cooking the diner what ever we would be having usually a goose or a turkey with so many mouths to feed 8 of us and often there would be one or two friends of the family who would be there mum always managed to find enough to feed us all though.

Surprised no ones mentioned the Christmas lights & display in Burton's under the council house that was magical when i was a kid , it was the only time we went in my Mam could drop a few things in her bag while everyone was looking upwards.