My late brother John once told me of a Nativity play his lad was in. He had the part of the inn keeper but was not happy about it, because he wanted to be Joseph. It transpires that when Mary and Joseph knocked on the inn door, the inn keeper came out and asked what they wanted. Innocently,  Mary asked if there was any room at the inn, as they had travelled far. The inn keeper, (my nephew) replied, " Yes course you can, but he's  not coming in, 'cos I  wanted that part" !    Nuff said!

• Like 3
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires

upload foto online

Jill   I just cannot recall those decorations at Berridge, but that just must be my memory. In fact I cannot recall Christmas at all there!    I do recall Christmas at Bobbers Mill

As an addition to the above, another anecdote from brother John... Christmas lunch was being served with Turkey etc., among the veg was carrots, Brussels and peas. His son moaned " Dad, I  don't  like peas !!". Dad replied, "Of course you do", to which son promptly replied, " Do I "? and immediately polished  off the lot!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, well, I think that explains why we never played it. We'd have fallen asleep after Christmas lunch! 

Well i think your post has just called the last post on card games

On 12/10/2019 at 9:16 PM, mercurydancer said:

\snip\ I remember the first song to be played when the radio station opened up, 5am I think, was Some Day I will Fly away, Randy Crawford. I recall it clearly, in an alley next to Woodcock travel agency, in the rain, and wondering when I would fly away. 

With apologies to RR for the quote. Here' you go Mercurydancer: 

One day I'll fly away.....

I used to love the night we put up the garlands for Xmas. As with many others, they went in the same place each year.  My mother continued putting the same ones up until her death in 2008. She still had some of the 1950s paper garlands, oft repaired but still serviceable! Alas, when she died, my brother went in and binned most of her stuff, including garlands and her 1920s/30s scrapbook.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t remember Nurse Heaton but she was the only person present at my birth, other than my mother of course. I was a second child and as was usually the case if the first birth had gone without a  problem then subsequent children were born at home with only the midwife present. Nurse Heaton also presided over the births of all my wife’s siblings although she, being the first, was born in the Firs. I dare say she presided over hundreds of Radford births during her reign.

16 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've done some research into Nurse Heaton, letsavagoo. ALICE HEATON, CITY MIDWIFE thread.  I remember her well. Saw her daily on my way to Berridge. She was a real character.

I dare say I may have seen her then Jill, but she was never pointed out to me. Did she live local then. 

22 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

110 Bobbers Mill Road. Just before Darley Avenue.  She was quite conspicuous wearing her midwife's uniform.

Thanks Jill. Can’t say I knew her or of her other than she pulled me into this world. I remember my mates girlfriend had piano lessons at a house on Bobbers Mill road near the corner with Darley Avenue. I think there was a post box outside. I used to go with him to wait for her.

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires across many states.

My thoughts go out to those that have lost loved ones during this time and to those that have lost not only their homes, their beloved animals and all their memories.

The weather where we are is forecast to be back in the forties again by the weekend after a Christmas day in the thirties.

Have a happy and safe festive season.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

remember my mates girlfriend had piano lessons at a house on Bobbers Mill road near the corner with Darley Avenue.

Miss Edith Birch, LRAM. She was my piano teacher too!  Her married name was Wells but she taught under her maiden name.  She lived somewhere quite close to @MercuryDancer just beyond Darley Avenue.

50 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

To all Nottstalgians in cold climes please spare a thought for those firefighters in Australia that will be working on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season in an effort to control bushfires across many states.

My thoughts go out to those that have lost loved ones during this time and to those that have lost not only their homes, their beloved animals and all their memories.

The weather where we are is forecast to be back in the forties again by the weekend after a Christmas day in the thirties.

Have a happy and safe festive season.

Didn't realise so many were volunteers. fire over there, floods over here - put us humans into perspective. 

Have a peaceful Christmas, however you're spending it.

• Like 2

As will be the case with many others, today is one day of the year when very powerful memories come flooding back. Moreso than Christmas Day itself. For that reason, I like to spend the entire day on my own to think about times past.

One activity I thoroughly enjoyed as a young child was carol singing with my older sister and some friends. We all sang in the junior choir at St Stephen's and on Christmas Eve, a small group of us set out around 6pm to sing carols around the neighbourhood. It was dark and seemed like the middle of the night to me. It was exciting to be out so late with Santa on his way!

We sang at the houses on Bobbers Mill Road, the little streets that ran off it and then went down Darley Avenue and Chadwick Road. I recall one house with a wishing well in the garden which I loved.

We collected donations which, I think, were sent to the NSPCC and in the new year, we always received a letter of thanks for the collection.

To this day, every time I hear O, Little Town of Bethlehem, I'm back in the dark streets singing carols as a young child.

• Like 4

Yes, Ian, Chadwick Road ran parallel to Bobbers Mill Road...and still does.  I knew a number of people who lived there. The houses were built in the 1930s and cost £500 each! My grandmother wanted one but could never quite afford it.

Good morning Jill, just been having a look on Google maps at Chadwick rd area and was stunned to see what's happened to Berridge rd.

When did that disappear? It used to be a thoroughfare right across Radford rd and on into Forest fields. Used to walk that route quite a lot, especially when I worked at Smith Dennis and lived on Burford rd when first got married. What a change !!

It changed a long time ago, Beekay. As a child, I could walk along Berridge Road right through onto Radford Road.  I think there have been further changes in recent years with the construction of Berridge Infant and Nursery School where the little streets of terraced housing used to be.  It all looks very different on the ground too, even those areas which haven't been reconstructed. Dirty, rammed with parked vehicles all over the pavement and piles of rubbish at every turn.

Best remember it as it once was.

I agree with you 'lil sis. Best to remember. Sadly, after bus driving and delivering around Nottingham, I hardly recognise anywhere. I'm afraid it doesn't inspire me to want to return. What with the tram changes and Broad marsh etc., it's like a different city that's full of surprises.

I suppose we have to move forward.

Ps. Couldn't help but notice how many houses have satellite dishes outside.