A nice English cob is hard to come by or anything near, but we still have cheese and onion sandwiches. I have boxes of dried mushy peas to do, plus I bought a box of marrowfat dried peas on our last trip, to try. Our daughter loves the chip shop curry sauce mix [like Bisto granules] so we have to bring those back. She works on Sat nights at the George & Dragon English pub in Phoenix and one other Brit there, and she, make the curry sauce to put on chips after they've finished their shift. I've not tried it myself.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 30+ years in France, I have pretty much adopted a French lifestyle – including their way of eating. There are a few English things I do miss though, the main one being a decent cup of tea. The Fr

We seem all to have this problem, not finding the food that we yearn for in a "foreign " land. A lot of things I can't get here so I make out an order for the British corner shop. Order £100 of goodie

I live in LA and have for the last 30 odd years. Any of you remember the chip shop across the street from the front of the Fire Station and police hq where I used to work? Their minced beef pie and c

What's the brand name of the curry sauce.

Bisto now do a Chip Shop Curry Sauce that is quite authentic.

The old Theodosi chippy back in the 80s next door to the White Horse (the bobbo) did the best ever curry sauce had bits of apple & currents in it.

bisto%20-%20curry.jpg

I promise, on my honour, that when I finally do get over State side, I shall bring with me a veritable smörgåsbord of British culinary delights for you to partake of Katy

(That's if smörgåsbord and British culinary delights is not another oxy moron!!)

Bisto now do a Chip Shop Curry Sauce that is quite authentic.

The old Theodosi chippy back in the 80s next door to the White Horse (the bobbo) did the best ever curry sauce had bits of apple & currents in it.

bisto%20-%20curry.jpg

There used to be a chippy down Alfreton road on the left near the old cinema run by a Jamaican fella. We all used to pile in for red hot jamaican patties, chips and curry sauce. Not for the squeamish the following day when it's been mixed with 10 pints of Trophy bitter from the Windmill in the Lace Market.

When we lived in California, we found Albertsons carried a full line of imported English cheeses, found they also sold crumpets too! Locally baked near Sacramento. The wife was hooked on crumpets with lashings of butter and topped with a spreading of Bovril! Delicious. Opposite the airforce base on Watt Avenue was a little restaurant called "Touch of Britain, run by two ex pat Brit ladies, speciality??? You guessed it Fish and Chips! They also run a shop selling all Brit food imports. Do a Google for Touch of Britain. Pier 9 also sold some Brit foods like Jacobs Cream Crackers. But Sacramento has a large ex pat Brit community.

Wow mama! Just had me crumpets & Bovril. Think I'd better seek out Betty Ford's Phone number.

• 1 year later...

We have 'Paki' shops in the Orlando area,carry lot'sa Brit stuff,we load up with, McVities chocloate digestives,Birds custard powder,mushy peas, Ribena,and anything Cadburys.There's also a 'Brit cafe' reminds me of the Mill cafe at Bobbers mill,spicy sausage and tomatoe sandwich,owned by a dodgy geezer from east London.The area has some reasonable priced Indian resturants,whenever I freqent them I think I'm gonna walk out on to Alfreton road......but naa,still in sunny Florida.

'Gateway to India'on I Drive,do some luvly grub,not to pricey,popular with the Brits,doing the Disney world trips.Sanford has some good ones,4 course dinner for two,35dollars.

Bangers & mash my fave

Sugar sandwich or Crisps

Beans on toast.

I am quite famous for my Fish & chips & fritters get to make them quite often at the Dog shows

Along with pankakes with sugar & orange, Wife likes lemmon

Funny how some of us take up a British cooking specialty - mine is roast beef with Yorkshire pud and yes, I am pretty well known for it among our friends and family!

Also, our local supermarkets actually carry a fair bit of Brit food - McVities Chocolate Digestives, PG Tips, Robinsons Barley Water, Marmite, Bisto, various jams and marmalades and several chocolate bars. Can't find Penguins though!

Funny how some of us take up a British cooking specialty - mine is roast beef with Yorkshire pud and yes, I am pretty well known for it among our friends and family!

Also, our local supermarkets actually carry a fair bit of Brit food - McVities Chocolate Digestives, PG Tips, Robinsons Barley Water, Marmite, Bisto, various jams and marmalades and several chocolate bars. Can't find Penguins though!

Have you tried Albertsons,Jewels,or Publix?they carry them down here,if you can,t find any,I will ship some up to you

/

Wife does the Roast & yorkie pud

We can get treacle pud & spotted Dick the latter goes down pretty good lol

& of course custard

Always bring OXO back fron Uk & about 75# of Choc & Biscuits & not to forget Mushy peas ,Wich wifey did last time so i'm out

I didnt drink tea in the Uk alway prefered coffee

Today i went in a new store that just opened.... Fresh Choice

They Have Mushy peas in a tin though , Cadbury Flake, aero, Crunchies, Rowntrees Fruit gums, & pasteles,Colmans Curry, Choco digestives, Tons of other English stuff.

Not bad prices $1.49 a Choc bar, Most expensive Mushy peas & Treacle Pud $3.29

I got quite a good bagfull for $30

I asked them why they have so much & they said its a UK based company

We have Fresh and Easy in Az, it's owned by Tesco. They are small convenience markets, about 10,000sq ft. Ca and Nv have them too, they are only in the west. [so far]

We have Fresh and Easy in Az, it's owned by Tesco. They are small convenience markets, about 10,000sq ft. Ca and Nv have them too, they are only in the west. [so far]

I looked a the bag it is Fresh & Easy dont know where i got Fresh Choice from .

I saw a friend of mine this weekend from the UK but now lives in Arizona she said that dust storm was terrible had to have everything cleaned .

Actually you might know of her husband he owned Alpine windows in thhe UK