• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 30+ years in France, I have pretty much adopted a French lifestyle – including their way of eating. There are a few English things I do miss though, the main one being a decent cup of tea. The Fr

We seem all to have this problem, not finding the food that we yearn for in a "foreign " land. A lot of things I can't get here so I make out an order for the British corner shop. Order £100 of goodie

I live in LA and have for the last 30 odd years. Any of you remember the chip shop across the street from the front of the Fire Station and police hq where I used to work? Their minced beef pie and c

Get the large cans and mix your own...

Albertson's used to carry English crumpets, English cheeses, Bisto and oxo cubes. Walmart sometimes has Cadbury's Chocolate bars, Toblerones and some other sweets I forget now.

Yep but it's made under license, so has to have the same ingredients and nothing added. Hershey's make chocolate to a recipe they used well before the Cadbury Brothers went into business, so Americans got used to Hershey's. They add something sour to their mix, which is why it's not as smooth and creamy as Cadbury's.

Chocolate is pretty easy to make, just the cocoa butter that's hard to come by. Cocoa, condensed milk, cocoa butter and sugar, that's all that's in it!.

• 4 years later...

I live in LA and have for the last 30 odd years. Any of you remember the chip shop across the street from the front of the Fire Station and police hq where I used to work? Their minced beef pie and chips were the greatest especially when they added gravy to them! It turned out to be oxtail soup! The there was the chippie on Mansfield Rd where I'd get my fish and chips covered in curry sauce on the way home to my bedsit. Those were the days!

Can get most of my favourite stuff here in LA, HP sauce, Coleman's mustard, Branston Pickle, Heinz baked beans, tea bags etc from a local Indian Restaurant/supermarket here in Atwater. He does me a deal on a case of 24 of baked beans now and again. Baked beans on toast with pickled onions and HP sauce for lunch or dinner!

• Upvote 2

I got married at the Registry Office on Shakespeare St and then we went and had a Fish and Chip dinner at the shop " Pete the retired cop " mentioned

There are now loads of online Brit shops, DGbrit, there's Touch of Britain on Watt Avenue opposite the old air force base, they have a fish and chip restaurant and a well stocked shop.

Last year Cadbury's banned export of their products due to Herschey's complaining, they are the licensee of Cadbury's products stateside.

Ironically, I'm still getting Cadbury's choccies via UK exporters, so it must be only the large retailers who are not getting to import their products.

We keep a good stock of Oxo's and Bovril, I make my own gravy which tastes like Bisto.

Try Goodwoods Dave, the feller who runs the place is an ex Sheffield lad, he ships orders very quickly and you usually have them within the week, we get a lot from him, prices are reasonable too.

http://www.goodwoods.com/pickleandrelish.aspx

• Upvote 1

We seem all to have this problem, not finding the food that we yearn for in a "foreign " land. A lot of things I can't get here so I make out an order for the British corner shop. Order £100 of goodies and the transport is halved ( usually 11.99 reduced to 5.99) they deliver world wide. Here I can't get a decent cereal, yes they are there but a very poor selection. Baking ingredients....syrup, treacle, soft dark brown sugar,suet, bacon we are starting to see it but its sliced so thin that you can "spit" ( sorry) through it, mixed dried fruit, currants and the list goes on. You either do without or find alternatives. ( if you dont send away for them)

Sausages...the only english ones I like are cumberland. I love Sicilian ones they are made without the rusk filling just pure meat and spices including fennel seeds. There is a sausage speciality here and it can be eaten raw, ugh you say but its worth trying. Some friends from uk came to visit a few years ago and we persuaded them to try " carne cruda" a speciality from alba , raw thinly sliced veal topped with sometimes artichokes, parmesan shavings, finely chopped celery etc. they turned their noses up but did eventually try it and ended up eating the lot and asking for more. Italians can 't get their head round the fact that christmas cakes and mincemeat need time to mature . The first time I said I was making my xmas cake in sept my sil's thought I was mad and eventually I had a job convincing them to try it when it was ready.

We are lucky to have friends come down for the wine festival and they stock us up with baked beans, cheddar, bacon and last time they brought us 12 bottles of hp sauce and 12 of daddies sauce. So they take home a couple of cases of local wine. Fairs fair.

• Upvote 3

I loved Cantal cheese whenever I've been to France, but blow me, can I find it in Nottingham, no way!

Thanks DJ, I'm hoping to locate some earlier than that.LOL

I'll keep trying The Cheese Shop in the Flying Horse Arcade. No luck as yet though.

Thanks Stu, a useful piece of information. Cheers.

Cotechino e lenticchie at christmas. If I'm forced but I have to be in the mood, its supposed to be lucky.

I don't like cooked salami either prefer cured salami. Have you tried donkey salami? And horse salami. Much better for you as its lean.

There's a lot of online Brit shops in the US Dave, some are in Florida, you can even place an order from real online Brit stores, they will gladly export food stuff to you at a reasonable S/H charge.

Amazon is also your best friend, it's amazing how much Brit foods are advertised on there.

• Upvote 1

Regarding food stuff from Amazon......they dont export to Italy mores the pity. Probably Italian regulations, they are very strict on food products.

A lot on Amazon is imported by US retailers nonnaB. We get Bovril direct from UK retailers, as we don't know of any Brit shops who sell it. There was an import ban when the mad cow disease was rife.

I used to order lots of stuff from the British Provedore, delivery cost was ok but now it has become so expensive it's not worth it.

As an example I love John Wests dressed crab, small round tins in a cardboard little box. They retail in Tesco or Morrison for around 99p a tin, to ship a carton of 10 or 12 tins here was going to cost $79au ! (about 40 quid) They will only send large orders by sea which is cheaper obviously.

As a slight aside here, I killed my wife's Casio watch trying to fit a new battery (don't ask, big old fingers small watch) anyway we went shopping here for a new one.

Found one she liked, Eco drive, nice two tone stainless with bracelet and essential for her rapidly diminishing eyesight, fairly large numerals.

Anyway priced here at $350 Ouch, so I decided to look online, First Class Watches in Kenilworth UK 90 quid plus 9 quid delivery ! so all up around $200au, the best bit I ordered last Wednesday afternoon and it arrived here in Oz yesterday morning ! DHL express 4 day delivery worlwide in 3 business days ! with full tracking all the way.

Back to food items, I used to bring in Nestle Shredded wheat and Instant porridge (yes I know but I like it), now not allowed in here for some strange reason.

We do get Bachelors mushy peas though, just need some chip shop style curry sauce now.

• Upvote 2

Banjo I love porridge too I am awaiting a delivery today from British corner shop. 2 large crunchy nut cereals, 2x15 packs of oats so simple syrup flavour, crunchy peanut butter ( we can get smooth here but dont like it ) can't remember what else but it'll be a huge box with over €100 of goodies so must be quick and make room in my cupboards.

• Upvote 1

But we do get oranges and clementines

image_zps2nuomiqo.jpeg

My husband has just brought these in 20 euro for both cases. We had a case of oranges a couple of weeks ago from Sicily but these are from Calabria. We have lorries come up from the south every few weeks selling local products.

Looks like now I will have to make some more marmalade and some candied peel for the cannoli !!!

My cantina is getting a bit full

I edited this 3 times as euro symbol didnt appear