Maybe with the cereals, it's due to weevils being imported with the product, that adds to the banned list Banjo??

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 30+ years in France, I have pretty much adopted a French lifestyle – including their way of eating. There are a few English things I do miss though, the main one being a decent cup of tea. The Fr

We seem all to have this problem, not finding the food that we yearn for in a "foreign " land. A lot of things I can't get here so I make out an order for the British corner shop. Order £100 of goodie

I live in LA and have for the last 30 odd years. Any of you remember the chip shop across the street from the front of the Fire Station and police hq where I used to work? Their minced beef pie and c

Thankyou Broxtowelad and DJBenton for the info. I use ipad , pc takes too long to bootup. I do have € sign and I have used it on Nottsalgia but strange it didnt come up this time. Querty keyboard in english.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

With 30+ years in France, I have pretty much adopted a French lifestyle – including their way of eating. There are a few English things I do miss though, the main one being a decent cup of tea. The French (and most of continental Europe, I think) don't have a clue how to make tea. They use those daft little teabags on a string, dunk them into tepid water for a few seconds (until it is just faintly tinted) and that's it.

When I used to commute UK – France one of the first things I craved on the plane to Heathrow was a decent cup of British Airways tea. Such was my need for this, I would go out of my schedule to avoid Air France purely because of their lack of skill in making tea. (This was long before the likes of Easy Jet and Ryan Air).

When I moved to France on a long-term basis, one of the most urgent things for me to obtain was a kettle and a teapot. Both of these are effectively unknown in Continental Europe although I have seen a few kettles on sale recently in large stores in Nice. I remember in “my youth”, in the UK, the kettle and its boiling water were in almost constant use, not so in France. On the rare occasions that they boil water it’s usually in a saucepan.

I wasn’t one kettle I bought, it was two (and two teapots). One of each for my apartment and for the office. In order to have my tea made the way I like it (the proper way) I thought I would give my secretary a lesson. This included warming the pot and one-for-the-pot (this seems to have gone now that teabags are almost universal). Next day said secretary came into my office beaming broadly and carrying a tray on which was the kettle and a cup and saucer. She proceeded to pour the contents of the kettle into the cup and hand it to me. What she had done was ignore the teapot entirely and made the tea directly in the kettle. She couldn’t see the point of the two-stage process and nothing I could say would persuade her otherwise.

Oh well, she left shortly afterwards to get married. I bought her a kettle and a teapot as a wedding present.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1